Cigar Connoisseur

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
OSCAR

Re: Cigar Connoisseur

Post by OSCAR »

A hard decision. Tonight, a Camacho cigar and a Guinness Stout.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

20 years ago, I wouldn't have touched Guinness with a 10-foot pole. Now stouts are among my favorite beers. Funny how time changes things.

Hope the cigar was just as good as the Guinness!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:37 pm 20 years ago, I wouldn't have touched Guinness with a 10-foot pole. Now stouts are among my favorite beers. Funny how time changes things.

Hope the cigar was just as good as the Guinness!
Dan, Guinness Stout is an acquired taste as you now know. I’ve tried many other stouts and to me, nothing else compares to it.
There is also a red ale, made by Guinness that’s also great. Like Killians on steroids. Not always easy to find, but a great ale. “Smithwick”.
You may like it also. Myself, I prefer the imports to the majority of “craft” beers.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Smoking a cheap but very good hand rolled tonight. A Mark Twain. About $60 for a box of twenty. Can’t beat the price. And they burn evenly.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:34 pm Smoking a cheap but very good hand rolled tonight. A Mark Twain. About $60 for a box of twenty. Can’t beat the price. And they burn evenly.
What size are they?
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:31 am
OSCAR wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:34 pm Smoking a cheap but very good hand rolled tonight. A Mark Twain. About $50-$60 for a box of twenty. Can’t beat the price. And they burn evenly.
C-Wade: they come in different sizes, different wrappers, and different prices.
I like the robusto size because it is about a 20-30 minute smoke. Size is 6” X 60. Enough time to relax but huge cigars take much longer to smoke.
The only one of theirs I’ve tried is “memoir #2” Gordo Robusto . I like the Maduro wrappers. It’s $50 a box of twenty. I get them from Thompson Cigar. I think it’s exclusive for them as I’ve not seen them anywhere else. Here’s a link to them.
https://www.thompsoncigar.com/shop/?q=mark+twain
The Riverboat has a barber pole wrapper, light and dark spiral and I’ll try them next. The #2 Gordo Robusto is for the price and better than many others costing far more. Eventually, I will try their other selections.

What size are they?
Attachments
89744D61-B76F-48C6-8A08-50E094A59016.jpeg
DF89E9ED-5DDA-4ABA-A6C9-C26BA1CD9EC0.jpeg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Nothing new or special today just enjoying cooler temps from a front blowing in and celebrating finishing up a job at the house that’s been whipping me. My sons girlfriend's car has been overheating on long drives and had exhaust gases in the cooling system. I pulled the head and it was warped so I put a reman head on it only to have a coolant leak. Back apart again to replace a freeze plug that was leaking in the new head😡 Hard to get motivation after working on cars all day to come home and do it again especially after spending your only day off doing the job initially.
Attachments
Acid Kuba Kuba
Acid Kuba Kuba
Freeze plug on new head
Freeze plug on new head
Leak on new head
Leak on new head
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:10 pm Nothing new or special today just enjoying cooler temps from a front blowing in and celebrating finishing up a job at the house that’s been whipping me. My sons girlfriend's car has been overheating on long drives and had exhaust gases in the cooling system. I pulled the head and it was warped so I put a reman head on it only to have a coolant leak. Back apart again to replace a freeze plug that was leaking in the new head😡 Hard to get motivation after working on cars all day to come home and do it again especially after spending your only day off doing the job initially.
C-Wade, I can remember the days when you could work on a car without specialized tools. You had enough room under the hood where you didn’t need to remove 25 parts to get to the part that needed fixing or replacement. You had an engine, carb, and battery. You had a rotor, ignition points and a radiator and that was about it. It’s getting so that new cars MUST be serviced by the dealership because of their complexity. With computers etc. not even an independent mechanic can work on many of them. I don’t envy you. I used to enjoy doing my own tune ups, and repairs. Now, I just bring it into the shop.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Tonights choice: a Montecristo. I just ordered 3 boxes of the Mark Twain. At this rate, I’ll need to get more humidors. Trying to decide on what drink to pair with this cigar. Haven’t had Kuba-Kuba in a long time. Will have to get some.
Attachments
Montecristo cigar
Montecristo cigar
My humidors.
My humidors.
Samb

Post by Samb »

Black and Mild Jazz for this tight wad.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Samb wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:53 pm Black and Mild Jazz for this tight wad.
Samb, I smoke a lot of cheaper cigars with an occasional great one every now and then.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

CAO BRASILIA TONIGHT !
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

OSCAR wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:12 pm CAO BRASILIA TONIGHT !
Been a long time since I had one of those but I remember that I thought they were an excellent smoke.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

On tonight’s cigar menu……
Weekend is almost over. Cigar and a Guinness Stout are in order.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Got my birthday coming up in a few weeks. Drove 40 miles each way to the only cigar store I know that has them. It’s next door to a knife shop so I bought myself a present also. I smoke only one of these incredible cigars a year as they are $35 apiece. Because of the price I don’t mind that they limit sales to 1 cigar per customer . I can’t wait. It’s a Arturo Fuente “Opus X”.
They are the best I’ve ever smoked.
Attachments
818950C3-784E-4B90-B106-55FBF51B81CD.jpeg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Finishing off the work week with a Tabak Especial Red Eye. 91° with blue skies full of huge cotton white clouds. Nice evening on the porch!
Attachments
image.jpg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:12 pm Finishing off the work week with a Tabak Especial Red Eye. 91° with blue skies full of huge cotton white clouds. Nice evening on the porch!
And a great way to enjoy an evening on the porch. Has a CAO last night and having a Mark Twain this morning as I write this. I think I’m going to only smoke in the late evening. It’s early morning now and already hot outside and too humid to fully enjoy it. Picked out a My Father Flor de las Antilles for tonight. It’s an awesome cigar, and unlike any other, I’ve never had one burn unevenly.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Having a Montecristo now. Pairing it with a double Angels Envy bourbon. I’m holding off on the finest cigar I’ve ever smoked. It’s in the humidor until my birthday. Opus X is incredible but at $35 apiece I need a special occasion to smoke one. I need to find more special occasions.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Neighbor dropped by with these to end the week with. Factory Smokes sweet by Drew Estates
Attachments
68A6CA62-6DA2-4D46-B534-A9B21DD44AB9.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:01 am Neighbor dropped by with these to end the week with. Factory Smokes sweet by Drew Estates
How were they?
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Pretty good. Not quite a Kuba but he bought 20 for $32 so a damn fine $1.75 cigar. It has the sweetness the Drew’s have just not quite as rich of a taste as the acid ones. I will definitely smoke them again.
Attachments
The view from the back porch while enjoying the smoke and the company.
The view from the back porch while enjoying the smoke and the company.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:16 am Pretty good. Not quite a Kuba but he bought 20 for $32 so a damn fine $1.75 cigar. It has the sweetness the Drew’s have just not quite as rich of a taste as the acid ones. I will definitely smoke them again.
Thanks C-Wade. I’ll give them a try. And a great price !!! I’ve had several Drew Estate cigars but haven’t tried that one. I’ve never had a Drew Estate I didn’t like. Don’t know how I missed these.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:16 am Pretty good. Not quite a Kuba but he bought 20 for $32 so a damn fine $1.75 cigar. It has the sweetness the Drew’s have just not quite as rich of a taste as the acid ones. I will definitely smoke them again.
C-wade, along my last cigar order I got some Drew Estate factory smokes. A good smoke, even burning with a good flavor and at a terrific price. Thanks for recommending them.
I’m sure I’ll be ordering more.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:38 pm C-wade, along my last cigar order I got some Drew Estate factory..
I’m glad you liked them. For the price I was really impressed!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:14 pm
OSCAR wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:38 pm C-wade, along my last cigar order I got some Drew Estate factory..
I’m glad you liked them. For the price I was really impressed!
I got a birthday coming up in 2 weeks. Got an Arturo Fuente Opus X. I smoke one or two a year and only for a special occasion. Nearly impossible to find, and expensive. First time I ever saw one, I asked the shop owner if it’s worth $30 a stick. He gave me a look and replied “oh yeah”. They are absolutely the best I’ve ever had. I’ve smoked cigars for about 50 years and I’ve tried so many different ones. This one was a no brainer. I’m glad I can’t afford them often. Makes me appreciate it so much more when I splurge and get one. This will be my fifth one in four years.
Attachments
E5C3DEFC-67FE-4601-81FE-571910EE2A02.jpeg

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”