Cigar Connoisseur

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Cigar Connoisseur

Post by C-WADE7 »

Tried a new one tonight, Deadwood Cigar Company “Leather Rose”. Nice smoke, good flavor,sweet but kind of a spiced flavor. I wanted a smaller quick cigar this evening and being 4x43 I figured I would give it a try.
….
Oscar, the local cigar shop had some Mark Twain Memoirs so I grabbed 2(only 3.99 ea) to throw in the humidor since the one you sent me was so good. They had the larger Churchill size Mark Twain but I went with what I knew with the Memoir because I wanted the neighbor to try one.
Attachments
29A0F1F7-F9F8-4434-8AD0-4BF42AD506D5.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:50 am Tried a new one tonight, Deadwood Cigar Company “Leather Rose”. Nice smoke, good flavor,sweet but kind of a spiced flavor. I wanted a smaller quick cigar this evening and being 4x43 I figured I would give it a try.
….
Oscar, the local cigar shop had some Mark Twain Memoirs so I grabbed 2(only 3.99 ea) to throw in the humidor since the one you sent me was so good. They had the larger Churchill size Mark Twain but I went with what I knew with the Memoir because I wanted the neighbor to try one.
CW, I’ve had some Deadwood cigars. They are good. Also, I was wrong about Mark Twain being a Thompson brand. I searched online. Glad I did. Found a place that has Memoir , same cigar, in a slightly smaller size for $30 a box less. I hadn’t seen their shipping cost, or if they offer free shipping on larger orders yet. Been too busy lately. The ones that they have are slightly smaller. At 5x54 it’s hardly any difference but each cigar comes out to $2.50.
It’s at https://slipperyrockcigars.com/
Let me know what you think of the other two I sent. The El Rey del Mundo are about $5 per when you buy a box online and $8-$9 dollars if you find them in a cigar shop locally.
The My Father is excellent but about $230-$250 a box online and about $15 each at a cigar store.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Oscar is the difference between the No. 2 and No.3 the size only?

Also the neighbor came by last night and I gave him the Twain I bought him so he returned the favor with a Oliva Serie G. Good smoke very mild from what I’ve been smoking but I would buy another. They had a few at the local cigar shop but the wrapper was pale like a Claro not Maduro so I didn’t look at them to closely.
Attachments
B29C29BE-57C0-4545-9B8E-797BE237B278.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:22 am Oscar is the difference between the No. 2 and No.3 the size only?

Also the neighbor came by last night and I gave him the Twain I bought him so he returned the favor with a Oliva Serie G. Good smoke very mild from what I’ve been smoking but I would buy another. They had a few at the local cigar shop but the wrapper was pale like a Claro not Maduro so I didn’t look at them to closely.
C-Wade, I’ve never had the number 3 but I’m 99.9 % sure it’s the same. They are both Memoir. The No. 2 is called Gordo (fat in Spanish), while the No.3 is Robusto (robust in Spanish ). The two descriptions are related to the shape and size rather than the cigar itself. Other examples are corona, torpedo and Churchill among others. But both are Memoirs, which is what they named that particular cigar. The only other Mark Twain I’ve had is called Riverboat. It uses strips of a maduro and a lighter colored wrapper, twisted alternating like a barber pole. Not bad but I prefer Memoir.
The type of wrapper greatly influences the overall taste of the cigar. It’s all subjective. My personal favorite is the Maduro, Spanish for mature.
Most Oliva are good cigars. I’ve had a few different ones.
UPDATE:
The link I sent you for Mark Twain Memoir no.3 said $50 on main page. When I clicked to buy miraculously the price was $75 ! Same as Thompson. They have gone up on every site. If you can get them local at $4.00, I would definitely. They won’t stay that price. Still a good price but….. I usually buy 60-100 cigars at a time. And for the new price they want, there are cheaper cigars as good or better. I sample many different cigars to find great ones at great prices. That’s how I found Mark Twain when they were 30% cheaper. Now, by the box, they are $5 each, $100 a box.
In the past, I’ve enjoyed these as well as Mark Twain, and their price hasn’t changed (yet). I’ll be getting them instead for now. Same size of these are $65 a box . Unfortunately, they are back ordered.
Attachments
A539995D-5A5F-4A80-AC3C-BF6A4B2A0B67.png
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Montecristo for later this evening.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Oscar,
Smoked the El Rey del Mundo last night. Very fine smoke, smooth and no bite, I actually smoked this one Dow further than most and it was never hot. Thanks for the sample and suggestion, I will try to find some more.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:09 am Oscar,
Smoked the El Rey del Mundo last night. Very fine smoke, smooth and no bite, I actually smoked this one Dow further than most and it was never hot. Thanks for the sample and suggestion, I will try to find some more.
C-Wade,
It’s been a favorite of mine for over 30 years. An excellent cigar but not very popular with a lot of cigar smokers. And it’s very reasonable in price. Very close to the pre embargo Cuban in flavor and I’ve never had one burn erratically.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

On the menu for tonight’s cigar is a Boneshaker. An excellent cigar but exceptionally strong. Not for everyone. By the time I finish it, I’m a bit light headed.
Attachments
A30E65B3-2F94-45EF-B4F7-F8504890CBEE.jpeg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Had some work to do this morning so I grabbed this to take along for a break. Rocky Patel Decade, pretty good but not my favorite so far. I was working still while smoking so not able to smoke it in the same fashion I normally do, which may have swayed my opinion of it.
Attachments
CCE3291F-D22E-46CA-9DC4-39352E02C7BC.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:58 pm Had some work to do this morning so I grabbed this to take along for a break. Rocky Patel Decade, pretty good but not my favorite so far. I was working still while smoking so not able to smoke it in the same fashion I normally do, which may have swayed my opinion of it.
In my opinion, some Rocky Patel are good cigars. Some are not good. I met Rocky a few times. Nice enough guy and he gave me free samples.
Try the My Father, but don’t do anything else while you have it. Except perhaps a quality bourbon on the side . Sit yourself down, relax and enjoy it. It’s an incredible cigar. Not an everyday but a special once in awhile cigar.
I’m trying to smoke less as it’s expensive (4-5 cigars a day) . My lungs are shot to hell and as winter approaches, it’s not comfortable smoking outside. I’m about to go out and smoke a Boneshaker. Good cigar but extremely strong.
::pace::
Have a great weekend.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

I usually try to block off time to have a cigar and not be doing anything. It allows me to go slower and enjoy it but today I didn’t get much of a chance to stop. I have the My father in the humidor waiting for a chance to smoke it when I can enjoy it to its fullest.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Neighbor stopped by tonight with a new one to try. Not bad and only $4 a stick. Chillin’ Moose
Attachments
D0464CA8-2E69-4AC9-92E2-8CCC69E71FC7.jpeg
78BCC5CA-31B3-4627-AB14-79C747880C99.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

On tonight’s menu, a Maria Mancini. Nice cigar at about $4. Pretty mellow and good flavor.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Neighbor and I are out on the porch today with a couple different smokes. I have the Isla del Sol. It’s pretty good but not my favorite, sweet wrapper and mild not quite as strong a flavor as I like.
Attachments
CB7A14C6-A084-4643-BC0A-926DEC486262.jpeg
87E6BA3C-6CD6-488E-B377-678CC4D42F60.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I’ve never been a huge fan of Ghurka, but they do have a large following. I’m just about to light up a My Father Promesa. Along with a shot of Eagle Rare, my favorite bourbon. It’s a rare indulgence on my part.
Attachments
903E6379-0533-45C8-ADB7-AB1DDA9F9E94.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Smoking a Brick House (fumas). The only fumas that I found that is nearly identical to its namesake. A damn good cigar at $2.75 each in a bundle of twenty. Got them on sale with $10 off per bundle. Brick House (not fumas) are about $9 each.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

I was going to have a smoke tonight, but it’s raining and cold so I think I will hold off for better weather. I will look at the Cigar shop for brick house brand.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:20 pm I was going to have a smoke tonight, but it’s raining and cold so I think I will hold off for better weather. I will look at the Cigar shop for brick house brand.
Fumas are made from mixed filler. Premium cigars are long cut filler. Fumas use the leftover tobacco from the premium ones. Taste is same, prices are way less. People think that long filler burns more evenly. I believe that what matters is the construction. I’ve had premiums burn up one side. Never got a bad Brick House fuma. Most brands of fumas aren’t so good.
You rarely if ever see fumas (translation from Spanish is “smokes”) in stores. I get these online from Thompson Cigar. Last batch I bought was on sale. $10 off per bundle.
https://www.thompsoncigar.com/shop/?q=Brick+house+fumas+
Attachments
EB108E20-C018-47AC-9215-F95CE79B4820.jpeg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Trying my hand at a chainsaw carved bear, but decided to stop and enjoy the weather with an Ashton.
Attachments
Getting all the good out of this one!
Getting all the good out of this one!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:06 pm Trying my hand at a chainsaw carved bear, but decided to stop and enjoy the weather with an Ashton.
Good choice of cigar C-Wade. I’ve seen folks carve with a chainsaw and it’s impressive. Beyond my skills. Most of the woodwork I do these days is on a lathe.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:20 pm
C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:06 pm Trying my hand at a chainsaw carved bear, but decided to stop and enjoy the weather with an Ashton.
Good choice of cigar C-Wade. I’ve seen folks carve with a chainsaw and it’s impressive. Beyond my skills. Most of the woodwork I do these days is on a lathe.
Out of my wheel house of carving for sure. My biggest carving to date is about 10” tall. I roughed it out and have moved to mallet tools to detail(I normally use palm gouges, so still out of my comfort zone) which is closer to what I’m used to.
Attachments
Progress since first post.
Progress since first post.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:31 pm
OSCAR wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:20 pm
Out of my wheel house of carving for sure. My biggest carving to date is about 10” tall. I roughed it out and have moved to mallet tools to detail(I normally use palm gouges, so still out of my comfort zone) which is closer to what I’m used to.
Way better than anything I can do. I’ve never carved. I shudder to think how anything I carve would look. Yours looks like a bear. With more detail it will look great.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-Wade, I just got an email from Thompson cigar. For a short time the are celebrating Mark Twain’s birthday by lowering the price.
Box of 20 starting at $60. This is for a limited time.
https://view.eml.thompsoncigar.com/?qs= ... bb13513530
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:37 pm C-Wade, I just got an email from Thompson cigar. For a short time the are celebrating Mark Twain’s birthday by lowering the price.
Box of 20 starting at $60. This is for a limited time.
https://view.eml.thompsoncigar.com/?qs= ... bb13513530
I need to see if the neighbor is interested in splitting a box with me. I really enjoy those.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Ten days, no cigar. A record for me. I’m 90% better but I don’t want to push my luck. Waiting until I’m completely over the flu. Can’t wait until I can smoke cigars again.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”