Your favorite Potato Chips

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Your favorite Potato Chips

Post by Waukonda »

A family member from Detroit area is visiting, this means my standing order for some Better Made chips has been filled! ::ds::
It also got me to thinking about all the brands of chips which have come and gone. Growing up in Southern Illinois, Kas was a popular brand in my area. Slightly farther North was a brand called Cranes, which was a great chip. When I moved to Western Michigan I became a New Era fan. Those brands are all gone now and Better Made is now my favorite regional brand, made in Detroit since 1930.
How about it......what was your favorite chip growing up/now?
Attachments
20210904_205619.jpg
Ike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Your favorite Potato Chips

Post by 1967redrider »

When we were at the beach about a month ago, I had to go to Ace Hardware for super glue (long story) and they had Carolina Kettle Chips in 3 flavors. They were delicious, especially their BBQ chips. Not sure if we can find them in Virginia . . . yet.

Our usual chips of choice are corn; Tostitos. I can just about plow through a whole bag of Hint of Lime chips, and then regret sets in. ::super_happy::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

When I was a tad and we lived in Evansville, IN, Hesmers was my favorites. Wacky weathercaster Marcia Yockey hawked Hesmer Food's products.
Around here it's Mrs Fisher's Potato Chips and Ole Salty's.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Back when I was growing up in central Texas, the most popular chip of the time was Morton Potato Chips. In addition to the standard bags of chips, Morton's also can in a large metal can, which held 2 pounds of chips.

These cans were used for storage of all kinds of stuff after they were emptied out. We ended up throwing away about 20 of them back in 1992 after our house flooded and stayed underwater for nearly 30 days. The cans ended up being very rusty when the water receded.

Now, my favorite chips is the Doritos Nacho Cheese corn chips and, when making Frito Pie, naturally, it's Fritos.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I remember Cranes. Those were about all we ate in my younger years.

My favorite nowadays is Jalapeno Krunchers. Cut a little thicker than the average chip and cooked in peanut oil. Super crunchy with a little bit of spice.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:11 am I remember Cranes. Those were about all we ate in my younger years.

My favorite nowadays is Jalapeno Krunchers. Cut a little thicker than the average chip and cooked in peanut oil. Super crunchy with a little bit of spice.
We can get Krunchers here too (a Jays brand). I'm a fan of the thick sliced chips.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Morton's was my favorite potato chip when I was a kid. I too recall the Morton's tins. Another favorite when I was growing up was Fritos corn chips. There was a small mom and pop grocery near the elementary school where we would get a "Frito pie". The lady who ran the store would cut a small bag of Fritos chips open along one side, add in a large spoonful of homemade chili, and hand you the bag and a plastic spoon. All for a dime as I recall! ::woot:: Chopped onions and shredded cheese were optional at no extra charge.

I still love Frito chili pie. Had one for lunch yesterday in fact. But I'm more sophisticated nowadays - I make it in a bowl. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Just about any chip from Better Made.
My second favorite chip currently is Uncle Rays Barbecue chips. There's a small shop at the end of the block that makes these incredible sandwiches with pizza dough as the bread. One of those sandwiches and a bag of Uncle Rays Barbecue chips and I'm a happy guy!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:54 am Morton's was my favorite potato chip when I was a kid. I too recall the Morton's tins. Another favorite when I was growing up was Fritos corn chips. There was a small mom and pop grocery near the elementary school where we would get a "Frito pie". The lady who ran the store would cut a small bag of Fritos chips open along one side, add in a large spoonful of homemade chili, and hand you the bag and a plastic spoon. All for a dime as I recall! ::woot:: Chopped onions and shredded cheese were optional at no extra charge.

I still love Frito chili pie. Had one for lunch yesterday in fact. But I'm more sophisticated nowadays - I make it in a bowl. :lol:

Ken
Ken, I still love Frito Pie as well. For a quick version, I'll make it in a large caserol dish - pour a bag of the "small" original Fritos, add an appropriate sized can of Wolf Brand chili (pre-warmed in the microwave), a chopped onion and shredded cheddar cheese. Stir it all together and nuke it until the cheese is melted. Reheats as leftovers well.

The slower version is to spend 2 or 3 hours making homemade chili. While my chili tastes better, sometimes, you just don't have time to wait.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Waukonda wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:39 am Better Made is now my favorite regional brand, made in Detroit since 1930.
Better Made are pretty good, but I like Uncle Ray's just a tiny bit better. Growing up in the Fresno area, the go-to regional brand was Granny Goose.
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:54 am I still love Frito chili pie.
That would have been something I'd want for dinner on my upcoming "birthday." "Redneck casserole" would have been another good choice.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:07 am Back when I was growing up in central Texas, the most popular chip of the time was Morton Potato Chips. In addition to the standard bags of chips, Morton's also can in a large metal can, which held 2 pounds of chips.

These cans were used for storage of all kinds of stuff after they were emptied out. We ended up throwing away about 20 of them back in 1992 after our house flooded and stayed underwater for nearly 30 days. The cans ended up being very rusty when the water receded.

Now, my favorite chips is the Doritos Nacho Cheese corn chips and, when making Frito Pie, naturally, it's Fritos.
The Doritos of which you speak ::tu:: but they are also fantastic bulked up a bit. Place some in a bowl, pour over some salsa sauce, any type you like, then heat in a micro-wave for about 30 seconds. Can also be done in a conventional oven just takes a bit longer, because you have to heat the oven up first. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

For those of you who cannot get your favorite chip in your area can
you get it from Amazon? I know my wife gets a few food items
(usually ingredient specific brand). Sometimes you got to order
a large amount but it is worthwhile.

Bob
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Growing up in NE the go to chip for us was State Line but now that we are in the mid-Atlantic area we reach for Utz. We like our potato chips like our ice cream - plain vanilla, no toppings other than salt. Good posting!
Attachments
D22CDAF5-EAB6-4191-BEEF-EF2A0813AB4E.jpeg
21A544F4-566C-473C-96CB-4778CFEF5E08.jpeg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

bestgear wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:49 am Growing up in NE the go to chip for us was State Line but now that we are in the mid-Atlantic area we reach for Utz. We like our potato chips like our ice cream - plain vanilla, no toppings other than salt. Good posting!
I am an Utz fan! They are now available in Illinois, but 2 years ago while vacationing in Maine, they were unknown to me. My wife and I shared a bag along with a deli sandwich in Camden one day, I was sold! Good chips. We also tried some Fox Family chips in Maine, also impressive.
Ike
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Waukonda wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:12 pmIke - My wife and I shared a bag along with a deli sandwich in Camden one day.
we spent 1 night of our honeymoon in Camden at the Whitehall Inn but I don’t recall eating any potato chips if you know what I mean ::facepalm::
Attachments
EBEEAD2F-BC18-4CC5-AEAE-C5571B3A4673.jpeg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

bestgear wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:20 pm
Waukonda wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:12 pmIke - My wife and I shared a bag along with a deli sandwich in Camden one day.
we spent 1 night of our honeymoon in Camden at the Whitehall Inn but I don’t recall eating any potato chips if you know what I mean ::facepalm::
Of course I know what you mean, you were too busy scouring the antique shops for bargains on knives. What else would a knife guy do on his honeymoon? ::rotflol::
Ike
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I too love me some Fritos. Just about any flavor. Growing up, my horse who was my constant companion really liked the chili cheese version. I used to ride him to the store out in the main road, tie him to the hitching rail, go inside and get a bologna sandwich (sliced almost 1/2” thick off the log) on white bread, a glass bottle coke out of the cooler, and a bag of chili cheese Fritos. Outside I’d share the chips with the horse.

The regional chip favorite here is Golden Flake.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

The bosses favorites.
20210905_070339.jpg
20210905_070301.jpg
20210905_070049.jpg
Right now these are my snacks of choice
20210905_070053.jpg
I do like Fritos and Cheetos, jalapeño flavored being a favorite, but any will do.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Zapp's and Utz (I like their "pub mix") are both good. Those small-batch pork rinds are well worth looking into.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Our store changed suppliers some 10 months ago.
The primary off brand is Best Choice.
The cheaper off brand is Always Save.
Always Save chips are VERY good.
I will buy them before the national brand.
Jalapeno, BBQ all good.
I got some Pringles at Dollar General and wasn't impressed.
Looking for the magic penny!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sum good looking chips y'all are bringing to the table. ::tu::
My favorite is Kettle brand, the honey dill to be exact.
I'm with you Jerry, like my chip thick and crunchy. Wimpy Lays don't cut it for me... :mrgreen:
Also Great Value tube, is pretty good; can't beat it for the price.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

These are my favorites. There in just about every store around these parts. I normally eat the whole bag of skins in one siting, there just so dang good!
Attachments
chips.jpg
chips.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
CHIPS.png
CHIPS.png (212.45 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Eye Brand Collector
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

When I was a kid, the only brand of chips we had in our house were Laura Scudder's. They are a California brand with the tagline "The Noisiest Chips In the World". My absolute favorite was BBQ. Of course, I didn't have any other brands to compare it to!

Fun fact, according to Wikipedia, Laura Scudder was the first person to sell chips that were sealed in a bag to keep them fresh.

3509119724_bacc88c5a7_b.jpg
70ca0fab03c12bcb51a391d9e23016ae.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The wife came back to Alexandria on Sunday, I stayed over to do some evening lead slinging and help some on the farm Monday morning before heading back. Here's what she picked up at the local Giant Sunday morn. Do "healthy" chips count? ::uc::
Attachments
IMG_20210907_203017227.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:40 pm These are my favorites. There in just about every store around these parts. I normally eat the whole bag of skins in one siting, there just so dang good!
Excellent choices! Both of those are favorites of mine. The Golden Flake Salt and Vinegar are the strongest, saltiest ones I know of. Delicious!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”