Moving Announcement

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Moving Announcement

Post by dlr110 »

Well now that my wife’s mother has passed on there is nothing really keeping us here in Ponder so we're planning a move. In a few years this place is going to be growing up with 5 new housing sub-divisions already in the plans and they’re even widening the two main roads. Someone said they're looking at a second red light on the main road through town. We’re moving further out into the country where I’ll be long gone before modernization moves in out there.

My youngest son has a house and some property in Greenwood, TX. and my daughter and her husband have bought property there also, they just haven’t built on it yet. We will build in the same area on 8 acres. Until the house is built my son has a “mother in law” addition on his house that is completely separate from theirs so we will live there until our house is ready.

So we need to get started packing things and getting this house ready to show, which means I'll be packing up a lot of my knives and my work shop. Maybe in our new location I can have my own "Man Cave" with all of my knives and tools.

Here are a few pic’s of the big community of Greenwood, TX.
Attachments
Not much around it.
Not much around it.
Welcome to main street.
Welcome to main street.
Fire Dept. on the left, Grocery on the Right.
Fire Dept. on the left, Grocery on the Right.
Inside the store.
Inside the store.
Friday night town dinner and music. Don't be late.
Friday night town dinner and music. Don't be late.
1st Baptist Church of Greenwood.
1st Baptist Church of Greenwood.
Greenwood U.S. Post Office
Greenwood U.S. Post Office
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moving Announcement

Post by 1967redrider »

Congrats, David! ::handshake:: Often I think about moving off the grid while I still have my health.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Give us some help there, David ol' boy! ::shrug:: I was looking up Greenwood, Texas and there are 6 different ones, which county is it?
The pictures look like a wonderful place to live! There is a Greenwood, Florida, just east of us in Jackson County, that is very much like those pictures, very small and laid back, love it! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

What's the population there? 53? Killeen was a small town back in the 60's too but I don't think it was that small.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:58 pm Give us some help there, David ol' boy! ::shrug:: I was looking up Greenwood, Texas and there are 6 different ones, which county is it?
The pictures look like a wonderful place to live! There is a Greenwood, Florida, just east of us in Jackson County, that is very much like those pictures, very small and laid back, love it! ::tu::
Treefarmer
It's an unincorporated town 14 miles north of Decatur, TX. in Wise County. Last reported population was 76 people, 48 domestic animals and an unknown number of cattle.
Attachments
GreenwoodTxMarker0415BG.jpg

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:22 pm Maybe in our new location I can have my own "Man Cave" with all of my knives and tools.
That would be ideal.

Many a time I have pondered moving into a log cabin that, Internet service excepted, is not reliant upon the grid. I'm still trying to determine a good location. One big downside to that: I detest moving.

Hope your move goes smoothly, David!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

David, you will love it out in the country. We moved back home to Parker County from Tomball after I retired last year, and we are so glad we moved when we did.

By the way, I shoot in a Sporting Clays league every Thursday night at Fossil Pointe sporting grounds, just down the road from Greenwood. Great place to shoot.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Unk wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:17 pm David, you will love it out in the country. We moved back home to Parker County from Tomball after I retired last year, and we are so glad we moved when we did.

By the way, I shoot in a Sporting Clays league every Thursday night at Fossil Pointe sporting grounds, just down the road from Greenwood. Great place to shoot.
I thought I lived in the country at one time. I'm 3 miles west of Ponder now, but things are growing up all around us.

Mike my son has been trying to get me to go over to Fossil Pointe. When I get settled in we'll have to have a day of shooting. I have a membership at Shoot Smart over at Alliance (Keller) that I won't renew, that will be just too far to drive just for a few hours of shooting. Talk to you later.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Moving is a stressful time. After 42 years of owning 2 homes, one in a small town and the other on 90 acres of mountainside, a 3 hour drive apart.
I have just sold the 90 acre place. It was just too isolated and too much work for one old man to upkeep on his own.
So i am sorting through 42 years of accumulated stuff and trying to decide what i should keep. My house in 'town' is old and small and has no closets. So where do i put the things i want to keep ?
My hope is to sell my house in town and move to a newer and bigger house that is rural but not as isolated as the 90 acres. The problem is, since Covid began there has been a rush of people moving from big cities to rural areas. Any place within about 10 miles of a small town or village has basically doubled in price in the last year with average selling price being almost one million dollars. Most sell with 24 hours of being listed and often for well over asking price.
Trying to find an affordable decent place in Southern B.C. is close to impossible right now.
The only places that have not sky rocketed in price are those that are truly isolated, like an hour drive to the nearest store or gas station, which is the situation of my rural place that i just sold.
I looked into moving into a 'seniors residence' type place but they are all so small i would have to decrease my life to just a few boxes and i just don't feel ready to give up my independence.
As many of us here are seniors i bet that others are facing similar situations.
kj
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

kj I know exactly what you are feeling. There are some nice senior's living communities around here, but I just don't want to live my retirement out that way. Where I'm moving to is only 15 to 20 minutes away from anything I will need and I'll be around family.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

David it looks like you will have most of what you “need” available in Greenwood. What you “want” may be a longer drive. I’m betting you love it there.

When we bought our place in 1975 it was a 20 minute drive to a large store in a town of 10,000 population. We have a freezer, and learned to make trips to town count. The small town about 1-1/2 miles from us had about 250 residents, a cafe, a small old-fashioned “convenience” store, a gas station/garage (with a good honest mechanic who worked on everything from cars to tractors to lawn mowers, and fixed kids bicycles for free), and three churches. Today that town has a population of about 500, mostly because they expanded the city limits. :lol: The cafe, convenience store, and gas station are all closed now and the mechanic died. There are still three churches. Developers are buying up land all around us so it’s just a matter of time before “civilization” and all its ills descend upon us. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The same is happening in rural Canada. People are moving out of big cities and into smaller towns. Because of the internet many can keep their jobs and do the work online from home.
This is not a good thing. Small towns are fine the way they are. We don't need more people and it drives the house prices above what locals can afford.
kj
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Went ahead and bought a barn style storage shed today. The first picture is the one we got only ours is a 12' x 20' with two windows on either side. After the house is built and we move all of our stuff into the house it will become my storage for yard equipment and my workshop. Then I'm going to buy the one in the second picture as my office and knife room. Both will have electricity. These are very good quality buildings made by Graceland Portable Buildings.
My reason for buying the second one is we're not building as large a house as we have in the past, so I won't have the space for an office and all of my knives in the house. It will only be around 1,600 sq. ft.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-26 190309.png
Screenshot 2021-07-26 190526.png

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

God works in mysterious ways! When you think you have everything all figured out, you know what you want or how you want to do something, God intervenes and says NO.

In all of our efforts to get things going on a new house over in Greenwood we kept running into road blocks. If it wasn’t the contractor and building supplies it was someone wanting a new survey or to have a lawyer draw up some paperwork. I won’t go into details, but it just got to the point of being more complicated and more costly than we were willing to put up with. So what are we going to do now?

There is a new land development halfway between Denton and Decatur still out away from the crowds of the city. Coming home one day we saw their sign out on the road and just made a decision to check it out. We went into their sales office and it was as if the Lord was telling us this is where I want you. Now one month later we just signed the paperwork to start our house, the area is called Big Sky Estates. We won’t have the same isolation and acreage, but it will be nice, as in quiet, no traffic 24x7 and we will be very closer to our church than we were before. We will still shop in Ponder and Denton and just down the road is an old Phillips 66 station with a little grill and coffee bar inside. I know there are a few old fools like me that go and hang out there solving all the world’s problems so maybe I can join in.

It’s located out in the county so it will have Denton County Sheriff's coverage, (and my 9 mm), Krum Fire Department coverage and a Ponder mailing address. I have no idea about the school district, but that’s not a concern of mine anymore. Hopefully the house will be finished in the April/May timeframe and we can get away from this crazy city area we are in right now. Because of our age and health we were trying to downsize so we're still only building a house around 1700 sq. ft.

God knows what’s best for us, much better than we do, so we’re trusting that this is where He wants us and that those reasons will be made known to us soon.
Attachments
Central_Big Sky Estates_Monument_002.jpeg
Screenshot 2022-01-24 105602.png

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Good Luck and Best Wishes David. 👍🍺👍
John 🥶
Not all who wander are lost!!