More than just a,"belt latch"..........

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
knife7knut

More than just a,"belt latch"..........

Post by knife7knut »

.......are those wonderful little items known as belt buckles. Where once they served a strictly utilitarian function,they morphed into an advertising medium and a,"look at me" item sometimes of monstrous proportions. Some even have small knives concealed inside them and I recall seeing a German made model sporting a multi-barreled pistol!
The ones here will not have any such devices in them(although I have several of them) but will instead be purely decorative. Some even have stories attached to them. So without further ado I hereby present you with my accumulation of,"those things that help hold your pants up" Please feel free to post any you might have.
#1 is a present from my youngest son for Christmas one year.He had a picture of my Trans Am applied to a custom belt buckle. Thank you Justin!
#2 I received from a friend of mine who was a state trooper in Massachusetts.An extra from his collection.
#3 Found at a yard sale;no maker's name.
#4 Cast from a mold of a crow's skull,the maker did 25 in brass and 12 in solid silver.
#5 Bought from a good friend who owned a knife store at the time.
#6 Found at flea market.
#7 A gift from my brother-in-law that he had made. Not sure what it is supposed to represent;he couldn't remember!
#8 Another flea market find.
#9 A recent find at the flea market.
#10 "Dynamit Nobel" a group of three companies under the Nobel mark.
Attachments
25thAnniversaryTransAmBeltBuckle-Justin.JPG
AlabamaStatePoliceBeltBuckle.JPG
BlueScorpionBeltBuckle.JPG
BrassCrowsSkullBeltBuckle.JPG
CaseXXBeltBuckle.JPG
CragarSS20thAnniversaryBeltBuckle 002.jpg
DecoBeltBuckle2-DJ.JPG
DecoBeltBuckle.JPG
DogOnResinBeltBuckle.JPG
DynamitNobelBeltBuckle.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Re: More than just a,"belt latch"..........

Post by knife7knut »

Page two.
#1An eagle scrimshawed on a piece of paper Micarta and attached to a chunk of nickel silver.
#2 An eagle head atop a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
#3 Freightliner buckle done in enamelling.
#4 Grateful Dead buckle pretty well worn after many years.
#5 Kershaw buckle.
#6 Mercedes-Benz diesel truck buckle I got at work many years ago.
#7 NRA-ILA buckle.
#8 Handmade buckle with a coin commemorating the 1 millionth Oldsmobile built.
#9 Scorpion buckle(another one).
#10 Schlitz Beer buckle.
Attachments
EagleBeltBuckle 002.jpg
EagleMotorcycleBeltBuckle.JPG
FreightlinerBeltBuckle.JPG
GratefulDeadBeltBuckle.JPG
KershawOfficerRanchBeltBuckle.JPG
Mercedes-BenzDieselTrucksBeltBuckle.JPG
NRA-ILA1986BeltBuckle.JPG
OneMillionth1977OldsmobileBeltBuckle.JPG
RedScorpionBeltBuckle.JPG
SchlitzBeltBuckle.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Three
#1 A Russian Army buckle from the Soviet era.
#2 A Russian Navy buckle that belonged to the father of one of my co-workers who was from Finland.
#3 Silver & turquoise buckle gifted to me by my brother-in-law.
#4 Another huge silver buckle.
#5 A spider buckle.
#6 Advertising Thompson Center pistols.
#7 U.S.Navy buckle;a gift from Jerry D. Thank you sir!
#8 Advertising Valmet shotguns
#9 Advertising a shooting meet.
#10 My pride and joy:a belt buckle designed by the artist Salvador Dali for Pirelli tires I believe in the early 1950's.He did two different designs and the are highly collectible. I found it at a flea market in Massachusetts for $5. Had it authenticated by a dealer in Dali art and he offered me $500 for it.
Attachments
RussianBeltBuckle 004.jpg
RussianNavalBeltBuckle.JPG
Silver&TurquoiseBeltBuckle-DJ.JPG
SilverBeltBuckle2.JPG
SpiderBeltBuckle.JPG
ThompsonCenterContenderBeltBuckle.JPG
USNavyBeltBuckle-Jerry.JPG
Valmet412BeltBuckle.JPG
WinstonP.WilsonNationalGuardRifle-Pistol_MachineGunChampionships.JPG
DaliBuckle#0210-1.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

knife7knut wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 am are.....
VERY NICE belt buckle collection Ray. ::tu:: ::tu::

Here are mine:
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 30#p750940
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Very cool collection Ray! That Cragar buckle is the best of the bunch, just awesome!

Eric
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:32 am
knife7knut wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 am are.....
VERY NICE belt buckle collection Ray. ::tu:: ::tu::

Here are mine:
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 30#p750940
Thank you sir! I was just looking over my accumulation of belt buckles and I happened to notice that there was something scratched on the back of the spider belt buckle. Turns out it is the name of the artist who designed it:Carl Tasha. Googled the name and found that he has an artist gallery in P-Town Massachusetts and his belt buckles are very expensive. The spider model goes for anywhere from $100 to about $300!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Nice belt buckle collection! I also have a Case belt buckle, as well as a U.S. Navy one I've been wearing for nigh onto a decade, maybe a little longer.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A few more:
#1Bobcat advertisement
#2 Eagle buckle
#3 Another eagle buckle
#4 Eagles buckle
#5 Marlboro cigarette ad buckle.
#6 & #7 NRA and NRA-ILA buckles
#8 USMC buckle
#9 Marked Browder #91 with a non-detachable knife.
#10 a group of knife buckles.
Attachments
BobcatBeltBuckle.JPG
EagleBeltBuckle2.JPG
EagleBeltBuckle.JPG
EaglesBeltBuckle.JPG
MarlboroBeltBuckle.JPG
NoMoreGunLawsNRA-ILABeltBuckle.JPG
NRAGreatAmericanWildlifeBeltBuckle.JPG
USMCBeltBuckle.jpg
Browder#91BeltBuckleKnife1.JPG
BeltBuckles01.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A few more:
#1 Sturm Ruger ad buckle.I like it because those are also my initials(R.S.)
#2 Nolen Bros. silver,turquoise,and carnelian buckle with removable knife.
#3 Whitetail Cutlery buckle with opening and closing but non-removable knife
Attachments
SturmRugerBeltBuckle 001.jpg
NolenBrothersCustomBeltBuckleKnife1.JPG
WhiteTailCutleryBeltBuckle 001.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

WOW!! ::woot::
Very cool!!!
Love the Crager S/S. Brings back memories of my first car, a '67 LeMans. I bought it used, needed new tires and wheels, so the Cragers were a must. :D
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Somehow I missed that awesome U.S. Navy belt buckle gifted by Jerry. A great gift! And that Bobcat belt buckle...I'm gonna hunt down one of my own eventually. Y'all are simultaneously bad and good for me!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Remington buckle.
Florida Alligator belt with a cast brass buckle bearing the initials of the owner, who has passed away.
Attachments
Remington
Remington
P1010471.jpg
P1010473.jpg
P1010474.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

mrwatch wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:47 pm Remington buckle.
Florida Alligator belt with a cast brass buckle bearing the initials of the owner, who has passed away.
Very nice Mr. Watch! Looks like there is bras and copper as well as the pewter. Thanks for posting it. ::tu:: ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice collection Ray! I have a small one; spurred by a buddy who gave me some buckles he received from his employers in the coal industry; and things like service reps and the like. I've added to it every now and then. I have really limited what I collect in ad knvies just for the ad alone; mostly to businesses related to the coal industry, and having operations in Southwest Virginia, Southern WV, and Eastern KY. This also works, as I know (and do business) with several local coal-related business for hardware and the like; and they often produced hard hat stickers or other promotional material years ago they still have laying around. The values of this stuff is quite low too. It works as they don't cost much, and it's a big part of my local history. Belt buckles I'm a little looser on. I collect anything relating to heavy machinery, farm equipment, coal mining, or fire trucks. A number of Western-related and firearms buckles have entered my collection as well. \

This style of belt buckle also helps keep my pants up. I only wear sweatpants around the house. I usually wear jeans. Now lightweight gym shorts, at this time of year, I wear constantly. Occasionally, I will find a smaller and lighter promotional buckle (most I own are heavy pewter); and I will wear it.

Here's the first few. American LaFrance operated in my town from 1986-1994. They only produced 150 trucks; compared to 400 a year when they were located in NYS. Granddad, my Dad, and a few of their friends went to the closing auction in 1995. I was born a year later. Our large Lincoln welder, and several other large industrial tools were bought there. I've always said--that welder put together 150 trucks, got damaged by a lightning storm and flooding, has been rebuilt twice, the brushes changed in the motor twice, and it's still going strong. My Dad used it rebuilding old tractors and Jeeps, and Granddad was the main user; using it to repair our equipment, which due to the rough, rocky terrain on our property, takes a beating (we had a gearbox assembly actually fall off a Bush Hog after 40 years; and a buddy of my Granddad overhauled it completely year-before-last (including welding a quarter-inch thick steel plate to the top's thin sheet metal to support the gearbox!). The welder was actually purchased by Kersey Manufacturing, as per welding shop records when parts had to be bought.

About 3-4 years ago, I discovered American LaFrance had a company which, over the years, went by the names of Creative Concepts, Cornerstone Creations, and Cornerstone Marketing; located in WV; to produce promotional belt buckles for the company. I have only noticed these three. Perhaps more exist, of models American LaFrance produced in respectable numbers, but I'm unsure.

However, the story begins a bit earlier. The building which American LaFrance occupied was built by the Kersey family; who produced various pieces of equipment for coal mining. They moved to a different facility about a half-mile down the road some years later. Figgie International purchased the "old" building and relocated American LaFrance to Elmira, New York. A really interesting coincidence is that the "new" Kersey building is now occupied by the county EMS; yet another connection to emergency services.

They produced a buckle for promotional purposes. I wore it on my belt for about a year. Solid brass, but light and cheap. The clasp the belt threads into popped out of its hole several times. Which is about how their equipment went. Granddad was the parts manager for a local businessman who ran a number of mines; but whose main business was refurbishing and the sale/rental of mining equipment. He and his boss visited the "new" Kersey facility, and American LaFrance when they'd just opened. Kersey stuff was not very well made.
KIMG0464.JPG

In 1989, a buckle representing the first Century 2000; produced in 1986 and delivered to Albany, New York was produced. This one came from NJ, and is serial #71. I believe around 500 were produced of each.

50811461193_9d97bab141_o.jpg
50812203996_2719932d03_o.jpg

In 1990, the then-new Water Chief II Quint was featured on a buckle. The demo livery never seemed to have been used on a Water Chief II. This may be the Cherry City, PA truck; as the build sheet from it (which I have framed; given to me by a former ALFCo employee who kept it in his office when he was teaching at a local community college) is dated 1990.

It came from nearby Princeton, WV and is serial #21.
50812315937_7743e6f8d5_o.jpg
50812203946_240453cb33_o.jpg

In 1992, a much different piece was featured, a 1911 American LaFrance steamer, which was a part of the (then new) company's historical collection.

Serial #18; and came from a local eBay seller as well.

50812203911_9b7eac98ed_o.jpg
50811461088_8a8f73aea4_o.jpg

Also had this on my Flickr.

This beer stein was produced when the first Century 2000 went into service in NJ (second built, however--it is not serial #1--it is serial #2 as per company records). Let's just say finding this has confused the heck out of me.

50812316082_2444c69883_o.jpg
50812316042_3900d33b1a_o(1).jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Very nice buckles and beer stein, Cody. (As an aside, I've heard that Germans call it a Bierkrug--beer mug--and not a stein. Maybe TPK can confirm.)
USN 2000-2006
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Fantastic belt buckles Cody and great history with them! Thanks for sharing them with us! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:37 am Very nice buckles and beer stein, Cody. (As an aside, I've heard that Germans call it a Bierkrug--beer mug--and not a stein. Maybe TPK can confirm.)
As I learned it a Stein has a cover, to keep the fly's out, before window screens. no cover it is a mug. I took my grand fathers stein to a collector club meet, and no one could I'd it. I also have a lithopane, hold the bottom to a light and look inside and you see a scene in the bottom.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I used to wear these on stage but they can really bang up the back of a guitar so they're now in a box in the closet.
1. WAMU FM is a "public" radio station from American University in D.C. They used to have Bluegrass twenty some hours a week, including a Sunday morning gospel show. Now its streamed and the on-air station is 24/7 public social whining. I did a benefit concert for them back in the 80's and the buckles were a donation premium.
2. Don't know where or how I got the San Francisco buckle. Maybe in a box lot knife deal.
3. The RED MAN, massively heavy, deep relief, beautifully cast and finished. My favorite. Some one offered me quite a sum for it but......
J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3193.jpg
IMG_3195.jpg
IMG_3196.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

mrwatch wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:50 pm I also have a lithopane, hold the bottom to a light and look inside and you see a scene in the bottom.
Sounds pretty neat. I'm gonna have to Google that one!
Ridgegrass wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:23 pm RED MAN, massively heavy, deep relief, beautifully cast and finished. My favorite.
I used to love Red Man. Seeing that buckle almost made me want to go grab a pouch.
USN 2000-2006
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Don't do it Dan ! I'll take it down! We'll talk! :D

Only tried that once when I was around eleven. One accidental swallow and I was cured. J.O'.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

No worries, JO. I'm done with chewing tobacco altogether.
USN 2000-2006

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”