This is Odd--USPS

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
cody6268

This is Odd--USPS

Post by cody6268 »

I had a group of knives that since Monday said according to the tracking "SHIPMENT INFORMATION RECEIVED, USPS AWAITING PACKAGE"; and it was showing this as late as 10 AM this morning. Well, today I find them in my mailbox, and I log into my Informed Delivery account; and USPS says "DELIVERED" on the tracking. First time I've ever had this happen.
Beavertail

Re: This is Odd--USPS

Post by Beavertail »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 pm I had a group of knives that since Monday said according to the tracking "SHIPMENT INFORMATION RECEIVED, USPS AWAITING PACKAGE"; and it was showing this as late as 10 AM this morning. Well, today I find them in my mailbox, and I log into my Informed Delivery account; and USPS says "DELIVERED" on the tracking. First time I've ever had this happen.
When it comes to the postal service, nothing surprises me. ::shrug::
Tim
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Beavertail wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:10 pm
cody6268 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 pm I had a group of knives that since Monday said according to the tracking "SHIPMENT INFORMATION RECEIVED, USPS AWAITING PACKAGE"; and it was showing this as late as 10 AM this morning. Well, today I find them in my mailbox, and I log into my Informed Delivery account; and USPS says "DELIVERED" on the tracking. First time I've ever had this happen.
When it comes to the postal service, nothing surprises me. ::shrug::

👍👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::woot::
Beavertail wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:10 pm
When it comes to the postal service, nothing surprises me.
::woot:: And here's another....$.58 to mail a letter comming soon! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Thank Mr. Trump and his idiotic appointment DeJoy as postmaster general.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I bought an item from an online auction listing from Oregon. Sent payment, seller shipped. USPS tracking got "stuck" on the fifth day; stayed on that date for TWO MONTHS. Seller sent me refund. I bought similar item elsewhere. THEN knock on door, here is original item, box all beat up but item OK. Shipping was expensive so I just contacted seller and paid him again. Now I have two of almost the same thing. Weird. Where was this item all that time???
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Not a new phenomenon - I've had several of those in the last few months.

I am assuming here that this was a fleabay acquisition. Some of the issues arise with the way fleabay prints out mailing labels. The labels are generated, the tracking number is sent to USPS and the wait begins.

Until a USPS facility actually barcodes in the package, it stays in the status you list. If the package was dropped off at a MAILBOX ETC store or some other 3rd party mail business rather than at a PO, it won't be barcoded in when initially dropped off.

Somehow, the package never got barcoded in as being received by the USPS, probably due to some computer glitch. It obviously was barcoded in SOMEWHERE in the USPS system because it got to your town and onto the right truck.

Just this last week, I had one coming from Indiana, one from NY and one from Pennsylvania that showed just like - USPS Awaiting package. All 3 of them suddenly showed as being "Out For Delivery" with no intervening check-through locations. During the same time frame, I had 5 packages that showed going from A to B to C to ........ before arriving here.

I just patiently wait for the packages to be delivered and try to fret too much.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I've had at least one package go directly from "shipping info sent" to "delivered." More recently, I've had one outgoing package and at least one incoming package (possibly more of the latter) hang around in USPS limbo for days before making it to the origin facility. That seems to occur only when a courier picks them up. From now on, I take all my outgoing shipments into the Post Office and ensure they are scanned. That's all I can do...I'm not sure if USPS needs to develop better operating procedures, get better equipment, both, and/or something else altogether.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 pm Thank Mr. Trump and his idiotic appointment DeJoy as postmaster general.
I agree totally with Gene. It makes no sense that this idiot who's sole objective is to dismantle and destroy the USPS is still there.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

herbva wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:05 pm
Gunsil wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 pm Thank Mr. Trump and his idiotic appointment DeJoy as postmaster general.
I agree totally with Gene. It makes no sense that this idiot who's sole objective is to dismantle and destroy the USPS is still there.

Not touching off a political debate, but I thought this guy would be gone the day Biden took office. So the question is, why is he still there if he is the problem???
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The USPS's problems do not stem from Trump. They stem from a Republican, but not Trump.

The idiots that caused the mess were the 109th US Congress of 2006, House and Senate, both controlled by the Republicans. And of course, the bumbler in chief, Bush2.

The USPS problems all go back to the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) which totally screwed up the system and USPS management trying to operate under the requirements of it.

The following wikipedia link explains the PAEA in all its assinine glory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_Ac ... cement_Act

Now read the following report.

https://ips-dc.org/how-congress-manufac ... to-fix-it/

Synopsis::

Back in 2006 CONGRESS passed the PAEA which, among many things, MANDATED that the USPS fully pre-fund the USPS retirement health care costs for the next 75 years to the tune of $72,000,000,000. Yep. $72 BILLION.

The above 2019 report points out that if the USPS were allowed to operate just like any other business and government agency, they would have made a profit in each of the previous 6 years (2013 -2018). The USPS is the ONLY business in the WORLD REQUIRED to operate like this.

The pre-funding section was added due to Bush2 threatening to veto the bill unless the pre-funding requirement was added.

Stupidest law ever written. And that's saying something with all the crap that comes out of DC.

I'm surprised the USPS is doing as well as it has been with f'd up laws they are REQUIRED to operate under.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Postmaster General is no longer a cabinet position. The Postmaster General is selected by USPS' board of governors. I wasn't able to determine when the incumbent's term is up, but I do believe (as zzyzzogeton pointed out) many of USPS' issues were around before he took office.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Not so, DeJoy personally orded the destruction of most automated sorting machines. Yes, the PO has had problems but under DeJoy it is much worse. He is now pushing the idea that first class mail should be expected to take over a week coast to coast and priority to take a week. Folks, we are devolving into a third world country with third world services. Yes, e-mail really hurt the PO but ebay helped greatly. Amazon using it's own shipping hurt too. PO employees have historically had great pensions and most used to be proud of the work they did. Sadly many no longer give a hoot about being efficient.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”