ALERT: ALEXA USERS-JUNE 8

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

ALERT: ALEXA USERS-JUNE 8

Post by Quick Steel »

On June 8, Amazon will activate Amazon Sidewalk, a mass wireless sharing network. Users of all Amazon smart devices will be automatically enrolled, without consent, unless they opt out by disabling the network settings.

The Amazon Sidewalk network will allow shared internet use up to within about a half-mile radius of the Amazon device. In effect, this network is part of the creation of “smart cities.”

Amazon Sidewalk includes a “Community Finding” feature that allows people outside of your home to connect with Amazon’s servers through your Alexa, Echo, Ring and related smart devices.

Violation of privacy, personal data and safety

Most people have no idea the network will be activated on June 8, or that they will be automatically connected without consent. Even fewer understand the full implications.

Being part of the Amazon “smart” networks increases the chances devices and information will be hacked, as “smart” wireless devices are prone to hacking. Amazon has been sued by Ring users whose devices were hacked — some received ransom demands.

How to opt out and disable settings

Anyone who doesn’t want to be automatically enrolled in Amazon Sidewalk on June 8 can opt out by disabling the network on their Amazon devices. Here’s how:

Open the Alexa app:

Open “more” and select “settings.”
Select “account settings.”
Select “Amazon Sidewalk.”
Turn Amazon Sidewalk “off.”
Customers with Echo devices can update their Amazon Sidewalk preferences anytime from “settings” in the Alexa app. If users have linked Ring and Amazon accounts, their Sidewalk preferences on either the Alexa or Ring app will apply to eligible Echo and Ring devices.

Amazon is banking on millions of customers who aren’t aware of this upcoming activation on June 8. Share this information, including the health risks and violation of privacy and safety online, with your neighbors, family and friends. Encourage them to opt out and to share this article.
cody6268

Re: ALERT: ALEXA USERS-JUNE 8

Post by cody6268 »

You'd think they'd get in trouble over this, but they don't. I'm the one who is constantly advocating for strict privacy laws. When Prime is up for renewal in a month or so, I'm cancelling it. I'm done with Amazon.

Am I the only person under the age of 40 who really hasn't ever seen the point of devices like Google's Dot and Amazon's Alexa? I've even disabled Cortana on my PC, and Google Assistant on my phone.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:22 pm Am I the only person under the age of 40 who really hasn't ever seen the point of devices like Google's Dot and Amazon's Alexa?
I hope not! I'm not far past 40, and I am not a fan of all this high-tech "assistant" nonsense. Makes me glad Alexa is not in my house.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:30 pm
cody6268 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:22 pm Am I the only person under the age of 40 who really hasn't ever seen the point of devices like Google's Dot and Amazon's Alexa?
I hope not! I'm not far past 40, and I am not a fan of all this high-tech "assistant" nonsense. Makes me glad Alexa is not in my house.
👍👍
John 🎩
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I have an Amazon tablet is it included?
Tim
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I'm assuming that simply having "Amazon Prime" and nothing else does not automatically include you in Sidewalk?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Tim and CaseXX I lack expertese in modern technology but I believe Prime will not draw us into the web. But Tim, you need to call Amazon and ask.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

XX Case XX wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:38 pm I'm assuming that simply having "Amazon Prime" and nothing else does not automatically include you in Sidewalk?

Sidewalk is for Echo speakers, Ring Floodlight and Spotlight cameras, Tile trackers, other Amazon the new sperical Echo and the Echo Show 10 and other Sidewalk compatible Bluetooth Low Energy devices.

A Prime account is for buying stuff and accessing Amazon's streaming services.

Having a Prime account gives the user access to "extra" Alexa features - Amazon Music without ads, extra shopping discounts on "prime shopping days", access Prime Video, and probably someother stuff.

I don't have Prime, but my Mother and sisters do for shopping on Amazon. None of them use the Alexa automated stuff. I've told them all to go in and turn off the Sidewalk crap.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here is a list of Amazon devices that participate in "Sidewalk" as of June 7, 2021.

Ring Floodlight Cam (2019), Ring Spotlight Cam Wired (2019), Ring Spotlight Cam Mount (2019), Echo (3rd Gen and newer), Echo Dot (3rd Gen and newer), Echo Dot for Kids (3rd Gen and newer), Echo Dot with Clock (3rd Gen and newer), Echo Plus (all generations), Echo Show (all models and generations), Echo Spot, Echo Studio, Echo Input, and Echo Flex.

Basically, it is the smart assistant devices (Echo/Ask Alexa) and the doorbell cameras (Ring).

I don't have any of these and would opt out if I did. However this is not pure evil.

Let's say a criminal cuts off the internet connection to homeowner A's house and homeowner A's wifi stops which means that homeowner A's ring doorbell stops reporting an intruder. If homeowner A's ring doorbell could connect to homeowner B's wifi via homeowner B's ring doorbell, then homeowner A's ring doorbell would still be operational and able to report security events even though homeowner A's internet has been disconnected.

Does this provide an attack vector for a cyber criminal? Yes. Is Amazon aware of this risk? Yes. Has Amazon done everything they can think of to prevent a breach? Yes. Could a hacker still outsmart Amazon? Yes and they will - it is a matter of when not if something will happen.

Have you heard of something called Amazon Web Services (AWS)? This is Amazon's "cloud" offering and every major company in the world is likely somehow engaged with operating some portion of their IT infrastructure in AWS. This likely means Amazon already has some important data about you whether you get invovled in Sidewalk or not. You are already trusting (whether you know it or not) Amazon with keeping your data safe. There is no avoiding this kind of stuff.

I am not advocating for this stuff and I don't like it either. The horse left the barn a long time ago.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Throw the thing in the dumpster, problem solved.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:56 am Throw the thing in the dumpster, problem solved.
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::cr:: ::clapping::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 pmCorrect.
Thank you Brother.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I don’t need no stinking Alexa, Siri, Cortana or any of their relatives. :roll:

Ken
Attachments
B9DAC052-FFF6-4980-9A5B-A717D2F9B34A.jpeg
B9DAC052-FFF6-4980-9A5B-A717D2F9B34A.jpeg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

This post was banged out using an Amazon Fire. I checked it for Alexa, and it prompted me to set up the dumb thing. When it asked me to confirm my name, I closed the setup thing. As we don't have any of the aforementioned Amazon garbage, I guess I'm okay...
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:56 am Throw the thing in the dumpster, problem solved.
I agree completely!!!!
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:51 am I don’t need no stinking Alexa, Siri, Cortana or any of their relatives. :roll:

Ken
LOL.....
I agree Ken.... none of their relatives are welcome at my house. The few relatives I do have,...... some of them come around more often than I like.

:lol:
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:51 am I don’t need no stinking Alexa, Siri, Cortana or any of their relatives.
Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!!!! ::rotflol::

TPK

Post by TPK »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:48 am
I agree completely!!!!
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:51 am I don’t need no stinking Alexa, Siri, Cortana or any of their relatives. :roll:

Ken
LOL.....
I agree Ken.... none of their relatives are welcome at my house. The few relatives I do have,...... some of them come around more often than I like.

I agree with ya agreeing with them Mike! ::tu:: ::nod:: As for relatives..., I tell em to stay on the Sidewalk or end up in the Cloud. ::super_happy:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

TPK wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:18 pm
I agree with ya agreeing with them Mike! ::tu:: ::nod:: As for relatives..., I tell em to stay on the Sidewalk or end up in the Cloud. ::super_happy:: ::tu::
LOL.... that is a good one!

"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”