Spam Risk

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Spam Risk

Post by QTCut5 »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15 pm I know that SPAM is a culinary hit in Hawaii.
They consume lots of it, that's for sure. I've heard (but can't confirm) that Spam and eggs is on the McDonald's breakfast menu in Hawaii.
Can confirm! ::nod:: It's a breakfast staple over here...along with "Loco Moco" https://girlscangrill.com/recipe/loco-moco/
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:02 am
Boji wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:53 pm Gotta put in my 2 cents worth about Spam. It has one redeeming quality, it keep forever. Other than that why pay about $4.00 a pound for whatever packing house leftovers go into it. You can get real meat, bacon, ham, good ground beef, whole pork loins for way less money.
Not sure what type/quality of "real meat" you get for less than $4.00 lb.--although I'm sure any meat is much cheaper in IA than it is in HI--but I get SPAM at Costco in a six-pack that costs a bit less than $2.00/can average...which is WAY less expensive than ANY fresh meat available here. Jus' sayin' ::nod::

And you're right about the long-term storage benefit...perfect item to keep in your emergency food supplies. ::tu::
Don't cry when I tell you what I pay for meat. 85% lean ground beef $2.99-$3.49 a lb., bone-in 1/2 hams $.99 a lb., whole boneless pork loins $1.99 a lb.
boneless chicken breasts $1.99-$2.99 a lb. These prices at at locally owned grocery stores. Probably 60% of the meat is raised and processed within 100 miles. Walmart has the highest priced (and lowest quality) meat in town. Walmart also charges nearly $3.00 a can(12oz) for Spam. That is how I came up with the $4.00 comparison.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Boji wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:59 am Probably 60% of the meat is raised and processed within 100 miles.
Distance plays a huge role, obviously. When I was in training for the last job I had in California, my trainer commented that roadside stands sold avocados for about one-fifth the prices he paid in Connecticut.
QTCut5 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:18 am Can confirm!
I've visited Oahu five times. Naturally, I never got up early enough to enjoy that goodness.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:39 am Some of these "look" interesting.
Click on the picture to ENLARGE.
I just noticed that in Skip's photo of all the SPAM varieties, the "Hawaii" flavor (bottom row, center) shows Musubis right on the can! ::nod::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:31 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:39 am Some of these "look" interesting.
Click on the picture to ENLARGE.
I just noticed that in Skip's photo of all the SPAM varieties, the "Hawaii" flavor (bottom row, center) shows Musubis right on the can! ::nod::
Boy ~Q~, you sure have an eye for detail.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Never tasted it!! 😛
John 🎩
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:55 am You.....
That looks good! ::tu:: ::tu::
A cross between SPAM and SUSHI.
You can call it SPAMUSHI.
::facepalm::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Throwing caution to the wind, I gotta have spam (raw from the can) every couple months. They have "singles" now that are a quick "fix". Bought a can of TREET by mistake the other day. Nearest thing to eating dog food I've done. Chucked it out to the crows. Remember the old key-wind opener for the can?
Nobody worried about losing a finger in those days. Also like a can of sardines now and then. Kind of a poor boy's surf and turf. :D
J.O'.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

When I was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, there was a Shakey's Pizza just a couple of blocks outside the main gate.

Two of the "non-standard" pizza topping options were Spam and corn. As squirrelly as it may sound, the combination was actually pretty good. Well, at least it wasn't inedible.

Squid and octopus were also popular toppings over there. Never put either of those on any pizza I ordered.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:39 pm Squid and octopus were also popular toppings over there. Never put either of those on any pizza I ordered.
I'm not that adventurous when it comes to food, either. But did you ever try any of the infinite foods that can be had from vending machines in Japan?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Nope. Never that brave.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:26 pm Bought a can of TREET by mistake the other day. Nearest thing to eating dog food I've done. Chucked it out to the crows.
J.O'.
Different strokes for different folks. Kinda like Mayonnaise & Miracle Whip.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:58 am Different strokes for different folks. Kinda like Mayonnaise & Miracle Whip.
Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip are both fine by me. I've never tried Treet, so I'll not form an opinion of it unless and until I do.
USN 2000-2006
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

We keep Spam here.
1/4 to 3/8 slices with Mustard on bread is quite good eatin'
Looking for the magic penny!

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”