"Diecast Collecting"

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: "Diecast Collecting"

Post by bestgear »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:38 amOn the rear where a license plate would normally go are the letters,"OLFL" I have no idea what this means. Has anyone ever seen one of these before?
my educated guess is that OLFL is Orlando Florida and this was from one of the Disney theme parks.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

bestgear wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:38 am
knife7knut wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:38 amOn the rear where a license plate would normally go are the letters,"OLFL" I have no idea what this means. Has anyone ever seen one of these before?
my educated guess is that OLFL is Orlando Florida and this was from one of the Disney theme parks.
Interesting thought! I went back and looked at it again and found that the O is actually an emblem of some type but it is so small I cannot make it out. I am going to try and take a picture of it under magnification and will post that.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Punched in the number on the bottom and found that it was a Star Wars issue in 2015.Strange that it doesn't have the Star Wars logo on it anywhere.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Got some stuff today.
Will try to get a pic or several and post later.
Looking for the magic penny!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

knife7knut wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm
bestgear wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:38 am
Interesting thought! I went back and looked at it again and found that the O is actually an emblem of some type but it is so small I cannot make it out. I am going to try and take a picture of it under magnification and will post that.
That may mean "COPYRIGHT" (which is a C in a circle) LucasFilm Ltd.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

From oldest cr to newest.
Hotwheels Auburn 852 cr 1978 Mattel Inc. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels Ford Bronco cr 1980 Mattel Inc. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels 1965 Impala cr 1996 Mattel Inc. China.jpg
Hotwheels Tail Dragger Fred Meyer cr 1997 M.I. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels 1983 T-Bird Convertible cr 1999 M.I. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels Swoop Coupe cr 2002 Mattel Inc. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels Cadillac Escalade cr 2003 Mattel Inc. China.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:01 pm From oldest cr to newest.

Hotwheels Auburn 852 cr 1978 Mattel Inc. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels Ford Bronco cr 1980 Mattel Inc. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels 1965 Impala cr 1996 Mattel Inc. China.jpg
Hotwheels Tail Dragger Fred Meyer cr 1997 M.I. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels 1983 T-Bird Convertible cr 1999 M.I. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels Swoop Coupe cr 2002 Mattel Inc. Malaysia.jpg
Hotwheels Cadillac Escalade cr 2003 Mattel Inc. China.jpg
Oh ya mate, those are good 'un's.
8) ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

I nearly forgot.
It is ERTL so not completely cool like an MB or HW.
A Smokey and the Bandit Trans AM
ERTL Pontiac Trans Am Hong Kong.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:03 pm I nearly forgot.
It is ERTL so not completely cool like an MB or HW.
A Smokey and the Bandit Trans AM
ERTL Pontiac Trans Am Hong Kong.jpg
Nice! ERTL seemed to do a lot of film and TV related models in the 1980s, as an attempt, in part, to branch out from farm toys.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Also got an ERTL Turbo Firebird
It was very hard but I got some wheels on it.
ERTL Pontiac Turbo Firebird Hong Kong.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Working on a Matchbox 68 Mercury Commuter police car and will have some pics of it when the paint has dried and it has been re-assembled. In the meantime I offer up this gem:
Was in the shop today working on some motorcycle parts when my neighbor came walking up the driveway. As he is the uncle of the guy who owns the motorcycle parts I thought he had come by to see if they were done as the owner is currently in Texas for a car show.
As it turned out he wanted to know if I was interested in selling or trading my old DEWAT Hotchkiss sub gun.He had made a replacement receiver part for it a few years ago.He mentioned that he had this old toy and thought I might be interested in it. Long story short we wound up trading each other.
The toy is a Buddy L steam shovel that was made around 1929 and in pretty decent shape.It was re-painted some time along the way(looks like a very old paint job) and the only thing missing is the decals that go on the side.
Apparently these have been reproduced at some point but there are enough differences in them to recognize them as such. This is not one of them.
Aside from doing a little cleaning and lubricating of the mechanisms it will now occupy a spot(somewhere)in my shop. Here are some pictures.
Attachments
BuddyLSteamShovel(ca)1929 002.jpg
BuddyLSteamShovel(ca)1929 001.jpg
BuddyLSteamShovel(ca)1929 003.jpg
BuddyLSteamShovel(ca)1929 004.jpg
BuddyLSteamShovel(ca)1929 005.jpg
BuddyLSteamShovel(ca)1929 006.jpg
BuddyLSteamShovel(ca)1929 007.jpg
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Very interesting.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

knife7knut wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:35 am The toy is a Buddy L steam shovel that was made around 1929 and in pretty decent shape.
The mechanism that moves the bucket is very cool! Shame things aren't made like that anymore.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

The oldest pressed steel toy I own is a 1950s Nylint. Nowhere near as done as that Buddy L however. The mechanism that operates the bucket is so intricate. I saw they made a rail version that was even more so.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

The presentation at the Matchbox Collector's Convention (Gathering) of the upcoming Matchbox models for 2022 is coming very soon (9:15). I'm probably only going to stay up for about half of it, but here's the link for the live stream. It will be available for viewing afterwards as well. I'll probably wait until tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmx6bmVj22U
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:34 am The oldest pressed steel toy I own is a 1950s Nylint. Nowhere near as done as that Buddy L however. The mechanism that operates the bucket is so intricate. I saw they made a rail version that was even more so.
The mechanism is indeed very intricate.In addition to the crank(that folds up when not in use)there are two levers on the panel.One engages the reel mechanism that controls the height of the boom.The second controls the extension and retraction of the shovel arm.Moving them causes different gears to be moved back and forth on the shaft to engage the proper gears.
If I can find a set of replacement decals to put on it I will;otherwise I will probably hand paint them.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Recently I've begun chasing after miniature Suzuki Jimnys. I realize only one of the below is die-cast, but this seems the best place to put them. As I can only add ten attachments, this will continue in a second post.
Jimny Group.jpg
The first is a Gashapon, a vending machine toy. Cody6268's post in another topic showing these is what kicked off the Jimny collection. This particular one was made by Aoshima, who are known for plastic model kits, and it shows.
Aoshima Jimny Right Front.jpg
The windows look a little rough, but otherwise it's pretty well-done.
Aoshima Jimny Left Rear.jpg
Danged if I can figure out how, exactly, the body is attached.
Aoshima Jimny Undercarriage.jpg
In their capsules. Only the yellow one has been opened, just in case Cody got the yellow one and wanted to trade.
Jimny Gashapon In Capsules.jpg
The second is the die-cast one, made by Tomica. It came in an actual proper box, which I neglected to photograph.
Tomica Jimny Left Front.jpg
Tomica Jimny Right Rear.jpg
I couldn't get this photo to look 100% right, but I had to highlight this detail. Instead of having a rivet shank running from headliner to carpet and looking ugly, Tomica modeled it with the rear seats folded down. Brilliance!
Tomica Jimny Rear Seats.jpg
The final Jimny will be in the next post.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

And the final Jimny: a radio-controlled job from Kyosho's Mini-Z line. I felt Jungle Green was the best-looking color, though blue or yellow would photograph better.
Mini-Z Jimny Right Front.jpg
Being a crawler, it's slow. With the pinion gear installed at the factory, I can walk alongside it when the "pedal is to the metal." However, it is a blast to "drive" around.
Mini-Z Jimny Left Rear.jpg
And the detailing is great. Instead of a blob of orange paint, the side light is a piece of translucent amber plastic! There is also an antenna that Bluegrass the cat has tried to chew on...
Mini-Z Jimny Side Light.jpg
USN 2000-2006
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:46 pm And the final Jimny: a radio-controlled job from Kyosho's Mini-Z line. I felt Jungle Green was the best-looking color, though blue or yellow would photograph better.

Mini-Z Jimny Right Front.jpg

Being a crawler, it's slow. With the pinion gear installed at the factory, I can walk alongside it when the "pedal is to the metal." However, it is a blast to "drive" around.

Mini-Z Jimny Left Rear.jpg

And the detailing is great. Instead of a blob of orange paint, the side light is a piece of translucent amber plastic! There is also an antenna that Bluegrass the cat has tried to chew on...

Mini-Z Jimny Side Light.jpg
Impressive Dan, mightily impressive.
8)
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Another wheel swap.
Maybe pic later but wheels from a Volvo Wagon on a Ford Fairlane wagon
Sort of wire wheel looking wheels.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sounds good Dave; I'm trying to get an extra set to swap my Bentley Cont. GT (Y-5's are not good). And I don't want to sacrifice my i8 (yet).
::tu::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

How bout a '87 Fox for your veiwing pleasure.
Attachments
DSCN5167.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

'69-'70 GTX (440 6-Pack).
Attachments
DSCN5176.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Nissan Skyline, H/T, 2000, GT-X. What a mouthful!
:lol:
Attachments
DSCN5180.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Back to are regular program...
'64 Nova Panel Wagon.
Attachments
DSCN5187.JPG
Winston Churchill

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”