"Diecast Collecting"

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
WillyCamaro

Re: "Diecast Collecting"

Post by WillyCamaro »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:21 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 am That ain't by far the worst of it... $60,000-$70,000 for a pickup is just stupid IMHO.
I can't fathom spending that kind of dough for a bloated, unnecessarily complicated, and (quite frankly) ugly vehicle...only to be very upset when it suffered a minor dent. Now that Dodge trucks only come with automatic transmissions, I'll never own a brand-new truck anyway. The only brand-new vehicle that would remotely interest me is a Jeep Wrangler. But since I don't like the safety garbage the Gubmint mandates or the manner in which vehicles are marketed nowadays, I'm glad I'd be denied a loan for one.
Yup mate, exactly where I stand too.

The truck I dig, tis the new gen Dodge, with the 12-valve Cummins. Yummy!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

A current-production ERTL New Holland T7070 and an older baler (also from ERTL) celebrating the 50th anniversary of New Holland hay balers in 1990. It is gold chrome plated. It was on the card when I got it (as a freebie with other tractors I bought), but that card was badly yellowed and cracked, so I freed it.

At 225HP; the T7070 is among the more powerful tractors in 1/64 that I own. ERTL used the same casting for Deere balers, among others.
KIMG3061.JPG
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:29 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 am That ain't by far the worst of it... $60,000-$70,000 for a pickup is just stupid IMHO.
I can't fathom spending that kind of dough for a bloated, unnecessarily complicated, and (quite frankly) ugly vehicle...only to be very upset when it suffered a minor dent. Now that Dodge trucks only come with automatic transmissions, I'll never own a brand-new truck anyway. The only brand-new vehicle that would remotely interest me is a Jeep Wrangler. But since I don't like the safety garbage the Gubmint mandates or the manner in which vehicles are marketed nowadays, I'm glad I'd be denied a loan for one.

I spec'd a 2020 RAM 1500 Classic (the old-school body style). I had selected an eight-foot bed, single cab; and only options being skidplates and the chrome grille/trim. It was nearly 40K! for basically what was a stripped-down fleet truck. Compared to the similarly spec'd 1998 Dodge Ram I've got, and that was $16000; and it's got pretty much all the options offered back then.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:43 am Might have overpaid by 5 or 6 bucks but oh my.
Johnny Lightning 1940 Ford F-100 cr 1997 Praying Mantis China.jpg
Goodyear Rubber Tires. Hood raises to a flathead V8.
And the stamp billboard.

On the 62 Chevy in purple.
I sanded the roof smooth.
Applied more purple.
And it looks like a vinyl top.
I need to get some fine steel wool because every other painter om YouTube paints a shiny vehicle.
8) ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

How bout a swapped Vulcan for your viewing pleasure.
8)
Attachments
DSCN5065.JPG
DSCN5066.JPG
DSCN5067.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:29 am A current-production ERTL New Holland T7070 and an older baler (also from ERTL) celebrating the 50th anniversary of New Holland hay balers in 1990. It is gold chrome plated. It was on the card when I got it (as a freebie with other tractors I bought), but that card was badly yellowed and cracked, so I freed it.

At 225HP; the T7070 is among the more powerful tractors in 1/64 that I own. ERTL used the same casting for Deere balers, among others.

KIMG3061.JPG
Nice setup mate; but 225 herspers is a bit much for that 326... ::woot::

:lol: ::tu::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:31 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:29 am

I spec'd a 2020 RAM 1500 Classic (the old-school body style). I had selected an eight-foot bed, single cab; and only options being skidplates and the chrome grille/trim. It was nearly 40K! for basically what was a stripped-down fleet truck. Compared to the similarly spec'd 1998 Dodge Ram I've got, and that was $16000; and it's got pretty much all the options offered back then.
::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::

::facepalm::
Winston Churchill

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thought I would post this one up seeing as how people are posting farm equipment.My only piece of farm equipment other than an old red plastic tractor. Both of these toys I had when I was a kid in the early 1950's.(I'm 77 years old now) Not sure who made the metal John Deere tractor but it wasn't cheap when I got it. Probably why it is in such good shape now.
These and a bunch of old toys I had as a child were found when I cleaned out my mother's apartment after she passed away in 1987. Couldn't believe she had held onto them. I probably have enough to do an individual post on them.
Attachments
JohnDeereTractorFront.JPG
JohnDeereTractorRear.JPG
DisplayCaseSouthWall 055.jpg
DisplayCaseSouthWall 056.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

knife7knut wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:12 am Thought I would post this one up seeing as how people are posting farm equipment.My only piece of farm equipment other than an old red plastic tractor. Both of these toys I had when I was a kid in the early 1950's.(I'm 77 years old now) Not sure who made the metal John Deere tractor but it wasn't cheap when I got it. Probably why it is in such good shape now.
These and a bunch of old toys I had as a child were found when I cleaned out my mother's apartment after she passed away in 1987. Couldn't believe she had held onto them. I probably have enough to do an individual post on them.
Fantastic tractor, and a great story about your childhood and history. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Now i am only guessing, but in the 1960's my sister was going out with an mechanical engineer who worked for Massey Ferguson. They used to make full metal die-cast models for upcoming releases to give to their retail outlets as displays, maybe yours was actually made by John Deere before most production moved off shore. Just a thought. ::hmm:: :)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

knife7knut wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:12 am Not sure who made the metal John Deere tractor but it wasn't cheap when I got it.
I'd venture a guess that it wasn't Ertl. They were probably still casting drivers onto their tractors at that time. Whoever made it, it's a dandy. Nice to see it held up so well!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

knife7knut wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:12 am Thought I would post this one up seeing as how people are posting farm equipment.My only piece of farm equipment other than an old red plastic tractor. Both of these toys I had when I was a kid in the early 1950's.(I'm 77 years old now) Not sure who made the metal John Deere tractor but it wasn't cheap when I got it. Probably why it is in such good shape now.
My guess is Eska. A company that ERTL later bought. I originally thought Arcade, but their Deere of that generation had a "pan" style seat.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Went "fleamarketing" today and found a few.The Jeep and the 57 GMC pickup have some kind of a weird logo on the side. The 50 Merc wagon and the 41 Chevy wagon go into my "Wagon Assemblage" and the 58 Impala I bought because I love the color.
The 49 Buick convertible I found out is a Franklin Mint car(they cast their name into the bottom edge of the frame rail and it is almost impossible to read).The hood ornament is missing and the right door handle is broken(an easy fix to make one) and someone had opened the trunk too far and dislodged the hinge from it's proper location. No problem I figured;I'll just take it apart and fix it. YEAH RIGHT!
Take out the four tiny screws visible on the floor pan and nothing moves.I then noticed two tinier screws that is holding the front suspension on. Yank them and the suspension comes off. This loosens things a bit but it still refuses to come apart.Then I notice the steering shaft has a small gear attached to it that goes through the frame. Gear won't budge but I manage to get the steering wheel off and slide the shaft out through the bottom.
On this car the frame is separate from the floor pan and the front and rear suspension as well.The exhaust system winds it's way in and out of the frame but comes out with it.Two more screws that hold the trunk section in and I finally access the trunk hinge assembly.The spring that retains it consists of three pieces and by prying them up slightly I manage to get the hinge back in the proper location.
Re-assemble everything only to discover I've neglected to install the trunk portion of the floor pan! Pull it apart again and install it and get everything back together. This time the steering actually works from the wheel after I adjust the steering gear. Now all I have to do is make a door handle and a hood ornament and it will be done.
Attachments
1941PlymouthWagon$1.67 001.jpg
1957GMCPickup$1.67 001.jpg
1958ChevroletImpala$1.67 001.jpg
BlueJeep$1.67 001.jpg
1950MercuryWagon$1.67 001.jpg
1949BuickConvertibleFranklinMint$15.85 001.jpg
1949BuickConvertibleFranklinMint$15.85 003.jpg
1949BuickConvertibleFranklinMint$15.85 004.jpg
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

That Buick is AWESOME.

I have had more painting trouble.
The one that really got me was a 64 Chevelle that I painted white.
It looked pretty good so I thought I would clear coat it.
About 3 seconds after the clear coat the paint alligatored.
Looking for the magic penny!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:51 pm That Buick is AWESOME.

I have had more painting trouble.
The one that really got me was a 64 Chevelle that I painted white.
It looked pretty good so I thought I would clear coat it.
About 3 seconds after the clear coat the paint alligatored.
What type of paint were you using(white base and clear)?Mixing types of paint doesn't usually work well;and even using paint of the same manufacturer can be problematic.If by "alligatoring" you mean the paint started separating into pieces and lifting ,a couple of things can cause this.
Spraying lacquer over an enamel base that hasn't cured.Most aerosol paints are either lacquer based or acrylic enamel.The exception is Rust-O-Leum which is alklyd enamel and you usually can't spray ANYTHING over it.
Spraying the base coat on too heavy and adding multiple coats before the first coat has had sufficient time to dry. This will also cause a condition known as,"solvent pop" which is the driers working their way up to the surface through the layers of paint.
Incompatibility between base and clear.
Sometimes the clear top coat has,"hotter"(chemically)solvents than the base paint which will cause the paint to separate.This can happen even with paints of the same manufacturer. I used to have this problem occasionally when shooting clear over 1-Shot lettering and striping paint. It was originally an alklyd enamel although the formula has been changed so many times now due to EPA regs I have no idea what it is now.My clear coats were always a catalyzed polyurethane based and if you didn't use a certain technique they would wrinkle. As you had a very narrow window to work with due to the catalyst(about 1 hour)you had to be precise or risk damaging everything. I had all my prep work done before I mixed the clear top coat. I would then apply a very thin,"tack" coat and let it dry for 10-15 minutes.This would create a,"barrier" between the final coat which was laid on "wet". A second tack coat and wait another 10-15 minutes before laying down the final wet coat.Most of the time there was no lifting of the paint.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

My best guess is that the white paint wasn't completely dry.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

The Malibu is white again.
And one of a few real cars in the most recent box.
Hotwheels Mercedes SLK cr 1997 India.jpg
Notice: It says India on the bottom.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

I had 4 of these so one got painted.
It has a plastic body.
Hotwheels Anthracite Tm
IMG_4116[1].JPG
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Has stuff coming out of the hood which my 64 never had...
But in the absence of Centerline Wheels at least these are better.
Hotwheels 1964 Chevelle (orange card 53) White.jpg
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

This one has no HW or MB Emblem on the bottom.
Rapid Transit tm cr 2003 Mattel Thailand
Rapid Transit TM cr 2003 Mattel Thailand.jpg
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

A little Custom work on a Custom Cadillac
A little Purple and a bit more silver.
Hotwheels Custom Caddy Purple and Silver tmGM cr 2012 Mattel Malaysia.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:51 pm A little Custom work on a Custom Cadillac
A little Purple and a bit more silver.
Hotwheels Custom Caddy Purple and Silver tmGM cr 2012 Mattel Malaysia.jpg
::nod:: ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Got these and some other cool stuff a few days ago.
Duesenberg Model J
The one on the left is a Model J the one on the right is a 31 Doozie
I switched out tops to get the GREAT wheels with a white top.
Hotwheels 1931 Dusenburgs Model J cr 1976 Mattel Malaysia.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

👍😎👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:40 pm Got these and some other cool stuff a few days ago.
Duesenberg Model J
The one on the left is a Model J the one on the right is a 31 Doozie
I switched out tops to get the GREAT wheels with a white top.
Hotwheels 1931 Dusenburgs Model J cr 1976 Mattel Malaysia.jpg
::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Got some neat stuff today.
I think the crown jewel is a 75 Chevy Stepside.
But it could use better looking wheels.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”