Weird Emails

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Weird Emails

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I'm not very familiar with Outlook Express. In some email programs, you can go into your preferences screen and change the behavior so that you have to double click the email to open it.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It's been a while since I used Outlook Express, but IIRC

Go to the Outlook Express folder in the side panel

Go to the "INBOX" by clicking on the INBOX line in the menu

Click on the VIEW menu

Click on the LAYOUT Menu

Under the "Preview" Pane, UNCLICK the "Use Preview Pane" box

Click OK

Hope that helps.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Zzy.
I cannot find "Layout" or "Preview".
Outlook Express has had updates in past so it likely has changed since you used it. I spent at least 30 minutes clicking on every 'option' given but still did not find Layout or Preview. They must be there or someway to make it so i can delete without opening.
I will keep looking.
kj
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Zzy is correct, and you should be able to see a "preview pane" and a "auto view" pane box. You need to deselect both of these. Outlook has not changed in that area regarding updates, albeit, depending on what version of Outlook you have, the preview pane and the auto view pane "could" be in two different locations within the email settings.

As a reiteration to what Zzy posted...

To delete email without opening it in Outlook Express follow these steps:

1. Click on View from the menus
2. Click Layout
3. Uncheck the box next to “Show Preview Pane” and "auto view" or both.
4. Click OK

Now you have to double-click on messages to read them, but you can delete messages without them opening by highlighting the 'header' of the email and holding down the 'shift' button and pushing the 'delete' button at the same time.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have tried every option given in Outlook Express and nowhere can i find: “Show Preview Pane” or "auto view". The word "preview" or any word that means the same is not present.
I will try to get a computer consultant guy to come here and see what he finds.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage

KJ - what version of Outlook Express are you using? Is it the one that came with Windows 7?

Try this:

"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks, i just found it, BUT my Outlook Express is NOT set up like shown in the above video. I do not have the 'buttons' that are shown.
However in "View", i have "Reading Pane" and i clicked it off. Now i need to double click to read an email. Single click will high light it and then i can delete.
Thank you all for your persistence in helping me. I knew this option had to be there and in the video he uses the words "reading pane" so then i knew what to look for.
Thank you all !
kj
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Gentlemen...we have VICTORY! ::ds:: ::groove::

Glad you got it fixed, KJ. ::handshake:: ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks.
I got my first computer in 2007. By then everyone else knew what they were doing. My main problem is the language. Like here i did not know i had to look for the word "pane". Every time i have a computer issue it boils down to the same thing: i do not understand any instructions i find because the words used mean something different than in pre computer times which is where my education stopped.
I am very grateful that people here stuck with me while i fumbled about not getting anywhere.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I love the email I keep getting telling me that “someone has attempted to log in to you “Facebook” account.”
I don’t have Facebook account.
Someone keeps telling me to “stop sending my naked pictures to them”. No address or anything on it, just that one sentence.
I haven’t sent anyone a naked photo, that I can remember, for that matter I don’t remember taking photo’s of myself naked.
One I keep getting w/ nothing but one sentence says “I heard what you said about me and I am going beat the **** out of your sister”
I have 3 living sisters and one is in Africa and the other two live far away. I hope they are safe. Maybe I should warn them?
Why would anyone fall for these and what do they accomplish? TFL your explanation seems the best about why they do this, still doesn’t make sense to me though.
I wish I could figure out how to block senders on my Ipad and IPhone.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TwoFlowersLuggage

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:13 am I love the email I keep getting telling me that “someone has attempted to log in to you “Facebook” account.”
I don’t have Facebook account.
Someone keeps telling me to “stop sending my naked pictures to them”. No address or anything on it, just that one sentence.
I haven’t sent anyone a naked photo, that I can remember, for that matter I don’t remember taking photo’s of myself naked.
One I keep getting w/ nothing but one sentence says “I heard what you said about me and I am going beat the **** out of your sister”
I have 3 living sisters and one is in Africa and the other two live far away. I hope they are safe. Maybe I should warn them?
Why would anyone fall for these and what do they accomplish? TFL your explanation seems the best about why they do this, still doesn’t make sense to me though.
I wish I could figure out how to block senders on my Ipad and IPhone.
SSK - it sounds like you need better spam filtering software. Who is hosting your email service? One of the nice things about both gmail and yahoo mail is that they do have good spam filtering software and very good malware filters. It's about as good as it gets. Spam will still get through, but they block A LOT.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks TFL, I have not used the block contact feature before, but after you talked about it, I tried it and have blocked a lot of these. I am afraid it’s probably futile. The From address is a string of letters when I click on it. So it’s probably going to come back with a different string of letters.
These all automatically go to my junk email folder. I only look at that folder because for some reason it will occasionally send one of the knife drops emails to junk, even though it’s in my contacts. I can’t explain it, but I have missed more than one GEC knife drop because of this. I move them back to my inbox and yet it seems to happen to the emails that are very time sensitive and not to others, strange.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TwoFlowersLuggage

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:15 pm Thanks TFL, I have not used the block contact feature before, but after you talked about it, I tried it and have blocked a lot of these. I am afraid it’s probably futile. The From address is a string of letters when I click on it. So it’s probably going to come back with a different string of letters.
These all automatically go to my junk email folder. I only look at that folder because for some reason it will occasionally send one of the knife drops emails to junk, even though it’s in my contacts. I can’t explain it, but I have missed more than one GEC knife drop because of this. I move them back to my inbox and yet it seems to happen to the emails that are very time sensitive and not to others, strange.
When you get a false positive in your junk mail, make sure you don't just move it - mark it as "Not Junk" (or whatever equivalent you marking you may have). This helps the filter learn for future emails.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:01 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:15 pm Thanks TFL, I have not used the block contact feature before, but after you talked about it, I tried it and have blocked a lot of these. I am afraid it’s probably futile. The From address is a string of letters when I click on it. So it’s probably going to come back with a different string of letters.
When you get a false positive in your junk mail, make sure you don't just move it - mark it as "Not Junk" (or whatever equivalent you marking you may have). This helps the filter learn for future emails.
What TFL said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've had the issue with AAPK notifications going to 'junk mail' on my MAC. All I had to do is 'right click' on the header and then click on "not junk" on my tool bar...and that has ended a lot of AAPK emails from going to junk. It happens with some of the knife site notifications too, so I perform the same 'fix'. I hardly get anything gong to the junk folder now.
LJ

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....it's a good thing I quit work when they shoved a computer in front of me and said "here's yer new drawing board"!!!.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........
TwoFlowersLuggage

A computer is just a gadget, just like any other human made tool. Every tool has a learning curve. If you had never seen a screwdriver, and someone asks you to hand them a Philips head screwdriver, you would look at them like they were speaking Martian. And, God forbid if you ask a video game-playing millennial to hand you an oil filter wrench. I'll wager there was a time in the distant past when none of you knew the difference between a barlow and a sod buster - but you learned because you *wanted* to learn... ::tounge::

I've been a science and engineering geek my entire life. When I was 5 years old I would get my Daddy's tools and take apart all my toys. When I got a little older, I learned that putting a 9 volt battery on a toy motor that normally ran on 2 AA batteries made that toy MUCH more interesting, until it started smoking... :lol:

I built crystal radio kits and other electronic projects. I learned how to solder, and I made electromagnets and DC motors from scratch. I saw my first real computer at the State Fair in around 1977 - and I was fascinated! Some of the earliest "personal computers" were kits that I saw in the electronics magazines and kit catalogs that I would read. I took my first programming class in 1980, and I have been using computers of one kind or another ever since. I bought my own first computer in 1983, and for the last 37 years I have never been without a computer. No one learns this stuff overnight - just like any other endeavor, it takes years to become proficient. The big advantage that today's kids have is that they don't have to wait until they are 18 to start learning about computers, they start as soon as they can hold their head up and look at a screen!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:04 am A computer is just a gadget, just like any other human made tool. Every tool has a learning curve. If you had never seen a screwdriver, and someone asks you to hand them a Philips head screwdriver, you would look at them like they were speaking Martian. And, God forbid if you ask a video game-playing millennial to hand you an oil filter wrench. I'll wager there was a time in the distant past when none of you knew the difference between a barlow and a sod buster - but you learned because you *wanted* to learn... ::tounge::

I've been a science and engineering geek my entire life. When I was 5 years old I would get my Daddy's tools and take apart all my toys. When I got a little older, I learned that putting a 9 volt battery on a toy motor that normally ran on 2 AA batteries made that toy MUCH more interesting, until it started smoking... :lol:

I built crystal radio kits and other electronic projects. I learned how to solder, and I made electromagnets and DC motors from scratch. I saw my first real computer at the State Fair in around 1977 - and I was fascinated! Some of the earliest "personal computers" were kits that I saw in the electronics magazines and kit catalogs that I would read. I took my first programming class in 1980, and I have been using computers of one kind or another ever since. I bought my own first computer in 1983, and for the last 37 years I have never been without a computer. No one learns this stuff overnight - just like any other endeavor, it takes years to become proficient. The big advantage that today's kids have is that they don't have to wait until they are 18 to start learning about computers, they start as soon as they can hold their head up and look at a screen!
TFL are you still using that 1983 computer? ::shrug:: :lol:
TwoFlowersLuggage

lol - no - I handed it down to a nephew sometime in the late 1980s, and I assume it was eventually put on the scrap heap. It's actually too bad, that computer would now be considered quite rare. It was one of the first IBM PC clones, called an Eagle PC 2. You can see one here: http://www.digibarn.com/collections/sys ... index.html
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I got my first computer in 2007 (still use it) so i am 24 years behind TFL.
kj

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”