Digging "Tater Onions"

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Digging "Tater Onions"

Post by Colonel26 »

These go by several names here in the upland and Appalachian south. In my neck of the woods we call them tater onions, hill onions, or multiplying onions. You plant your "sets" in the fall, around November and dig them in late June or July whenever the tops start to die back. You can also put your foot on the hill and pull some for green onions in the spring. When you plant them, you plant a mix of large ones and small "seed" onions. Over the winter they multiply the large ones making 10-11 "seeds" or sets and the small ones making two or three large onions.

They were common in this area before WWI and the coming of mechanization, and I am told they were a common wedding gift to young couples since once you had your sets you had onions for life. Now a days there are very few of us keeping them alive. year before last year, life coupled with weather, I didn't get mine put out and lost a lot of my sets. From the 20 hills that survived, this is what I dug this year! Most of these are large ones and will be planted again in the fall for a good crop next year, but a few will be eaten.

They taste unlike any other onion you've ever had. They're a little spicy but not overly hot, very savory, almost meaty. They sure are good cooked up in a roast or eaten raw with a plate of beans and cornbread!
IMG_0991.jpeg
IMG_0992.jpeg
IMG_0993.jpeg
IMG_0994.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
bighomer

Re: Digging "Tater Onions"

Post by bighomer »

Wade we had a bed of them when I was a yonker and we just let them do their thing, they'd come back every year. We just called multiplying onions. ::handshake::
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Wade that's awesome, nice haul! I'm glad you're keeping the tradition alive. ::tu::

Eric
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Wade, that is interesting. I am not sure what we call them here in Oregon, but I am going to visit my folks today and mom will know what they are called. I know I have seen them before, no doubt I hoed a few rows of them!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Too cool. Love it!!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

bighomer wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:14 pm Wade we had a bed of them when I was a yonker and we just let them do their thing, they'd come back every year. We just called multiplying onions. ::handshake::
Yes sir Big H! I’ve heard of folks doing that too. Matter of fact, at a former place we lived I didn’t get them dug one year and the next year I had tons of em.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

orvet wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:26 pm Wade, that is interesting. I am not sure what we call them here in Oregon, but I am going to visit my folks today and mom will know what they are called. I know I have seen them before, no doubt I hoed a few rows of them!
Awesome! Let me know if y’all have another name for them out there. A couple of years ago I snooped around on the internet looking for a place to buy more sets. There was a place up in Vermont, I think, that sold them but oh my goodness the prices. I was shocked.
Robert E. Lee
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

A friend gave us something he called Egyptian Walking Onions which I planted 15 years ago and they just keep coming back. They have bulbils at the top which can be bent down and covered with soil and off they go again and they can be split like garlic cloves and planted separately. I have grown stiff neck garlic which acts the same way. The bulbils split up and planted take two years to fruition instead of one. I confess that I have not made use of them. They look pretty powerful in an oniony sort of way.
https://www.google.com/search?q=egyptia ... e&ie=UTF-8
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:33 pm A friend gave us something he called Egyptian Walking Onions which I planted 15 years ago and they just keep coming back. They have bulbils at the top which can be bent down and covered with soil and off they go again and they can be split like garlic cloves and planted separately. I have grown stiff neck garlic which acts the same way. The bulbils split up and planted take two years to fruition instead of one. I confess that I have not made use of them. They look pretty powerful in an oniony sort of way.
https://www.google.com/search?q=egyptia ... e&ie=UTF-8
Very cool. I have seen the Egyptian Walking Onions, but I've never planted them myself. I need to start a garlic bed, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Here's a link to more info on tater onions...

https://www.cultivariable.com/instructi ... ato-onion/
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I was down to visit my mom and dad on Friday, it was their 71st wedding anniversary. No big party, just to visit.
I showed mom the pictures of the tater onions and she said I have have some in the garden. She had not heard the term tater onions before, but she got them from a lady who was our neighbor in the 1960s. This lady had emigrated from southern Switzerland about 1912. She met a man here in the states from a town not far from where she had grown up in Switzerland. They Moved up on Dead Indian Road outside of Ashland, Oregon during the depression and rented a ranch for $15 a month. They couldn't afford the payment to buy the ranch because it was $16 a month to purchase the ranch so they rented it for several years and bought a different ranch a little closer to town around the time of World War II.
It was this little Swiss Italian lady, we called her Grandma Laninni, who gave my mom the start of the tater onions that she has had since the 1960s. She took a start with her when they moved to Idaho in the 1970s, and brought it back with them when they returned in the 80s. About 1990 they bought a place on the Umpqua River and she moved her tater onions down there where she still grows them.

That was a great story weighed about those being wedding presents for newlyweds. My mother hadn't heard that before but she said it makes sense, they're good onions.

I mentioned the Egyptian walking onions and she says, "Oh yes, those are real good too. A friend gave me a start and I kept them and brought them when we moved back from Idaho."

It's amazing what you learn on this forum on topics other than knives!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Dale I very much enjoyed reading your post. I praise God that your parents have been together for so long and you still have them in your life. I hope you have many more years of good memories. God Bless.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
eveled

Post by eveled »

How long do they store? Do you have onions to eat all year long?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

orvet wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 pm I was down to visit my mom and dad on Friday, it was their 71st wedding anniversary. No big party, just to visit.
I showed mom the pictures of the tater onions and she said I have have some in the garden. She had not heard the term tater onions before, but she got them from a lady who was our neighbor in the 1960s. This lady had emigrated from southern Switzerland about 1912. She met a man here in the states from a town not far from where she had grown up in Switzerland. They Moved up on Dead Indian Road outside of Ashland, Oregon during the depression and rented a ranch for $15 a month. They couldn't afford the payment to buy the ranch because it was $16 a month to purchase the ranch so they rented it for several years and bought a different ranch a little closer to town around the time of World War II.
It was this little Swiss Italian lady, we called her Grandma Laninni, who gave my mom the start of the tater onions that she has had since the 1960s. She took a start with her when they moved to Idaho in the 1970s, and brought it back with them when they returned in the 80s. About 1990 they bought a place on the Umpqua River and she moved her tater onions down there where she still grows them.

That was a great story weighed about those being wedding presents for newlyweds. My mother hadn't heard that before but she said it makes sense, they're good onions.

I mentioned the Egyptian walking onions and she says, "Oh yes, those are real good too. A friend gave me a start and I kept them and brought them when we moved back from Idaho."

It's amazing what you learn on this forum on topics other than knives!
Wonderful story Dale! I sure hope some of y’all keep them onions going. How cool!
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

eveled wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm How long do they store? Do you have onions to eat all year long?
Yes sir, they’ll keep all year. I dry them with the tops on them and you can hang them up or spread the out in a dry place. In my area we replant them in November and dig them the last of June or early July depending on when the tops start to die back.

These were from some onions that were two years old when I planted them this last November.
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”