Beach Stones

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Beach Stones

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

TPK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:26 pm
Cool rocks & subject. I am also interested in rocks but know nothing about them. That one you found really does look like an egg. Who knows, maybe it was one? ::shrug::

Oh hey, ever herd of ambergris? Research it, if you find some it's very valuable. Wiki also says :

"Ambergris has been very highly valued by perfumers as a fixative that allows the scent to last much longer, although it has been mostly replaced by synthetic ambroxan.[3] Dogs are attracted to the smell of ambergris and are therefore sometimes used by ambergris searchers.[4]"

Another thing to look for on beaches is Amber. Wiki says :

"Amber is fossilized tree resin, which has been appreciated for its color and natural beauty since Neolithic times. Much valued from antiquity to the present as a gemstone, amber is made into a variety of decorative objects. Amber is used in jewelry. It has also been used as a healing agent in folk medicine. Wikipedia"

Just thought I'd mention these things sence your...
A) already on the beach.
B) already looking for stuff &
C) your dog might even lead you to it ::tu::

Happy Hunting! ::super_happy::
Tom
Absolutely! I do look for that sort of thing, however did you read this line in the Wiki?
United States – The possession and trade of ambergris is prohibited by the Endangered Species Act of 1973.
I'm not sure I'm ready to become an international smuggler of whale vomit... :lol: In addition, we have humpback whales around here, but I'm not sure if this area ever had sperm whales.

What I do try to find is "sea glass" - which is just weathered and worn pieces of colored glass bottles. I've never found any of significant size, just tiny little shards.

On a similar note, one of the things you to be careful of is thinking you have found a pretty rock, when it is actually just a piece of worn red brick or a chunk of smoothed concrete. I have also found smoothed pieces of wood that looks like a rock. The ocean is persistent and very patient!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

A good friend spent time in Japan with DOD. He found many glass fishing net floats, from softball size to basketball size. Very cool.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:18 am I really liked the big white stripe running all the way through this one. Is the white stone limestone or is it some type of quartz?

20200104_151218.jpg
Very cool, not a rock hound here either, but for some reason I picked this up years ago and have kept it.
aapkrock.jpg
TwoFlowersLuggage

Here is some of the "sea glass" I was talking about - I found these this morning. As you can see, they are tiny. I'm guessing that the most common bottle to be thrown overboard must be Heineken - nearly all the glass I find is green!
Attachments
20200105_084259.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
TPK

Post by TPK »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:51 pm Here is some of the "sea glass" I was talking about - I found these this morning. As you can see, they are tiny. I'm guessing that the most common bottle to be thrown overboard must be Heineken - nearly all the glass I find is green!
I was going to mention sea glass. I have seen people on TV who make very nice looking jewelry from it. ::tu:: There is also a plenty large amount of it for sale on the internet. Looks good. You could put it in the side of a knife that's missing it's shield and then fill up the rest of the space left with clear epoxy. ::shrug:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:31 pm
TPK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:29 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:18 am I found this piece of Quartz walking up Duke St. close to my house one day. It caught my eye because it looked like a potato on the smooth side.
Cool! ::tu:: How big is that? ::shrug::
If it was completely round it would be about the size of a tennis ball, so a pretty decent size.
Wow! ::woot:: Seems HUGE for quartz ::hmm:: but maybe I just don't know much about quartz. It's possable. :mrgreen:

TPK

Post by TPK »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:15 pm A good friend spent time in Japan with DOD. He found many glass fishing net floats, from softball size to basketball size. Very cool.
OH COOL! I never heard of those before but those things are a real eye catcher. ::tu:: ::super_happy::
They could also help explain why green sea glass is predominant. ::hmm::
I'll be watching Ebay if any of those come floating along. :mrgreen:

Thanks for mentioning them! ::handshake::
Tom

eveled

Post by eveled »

You can make sea glass with a rock tumbler and some abrasive.

Those rocks with stripes are always cool to find.

Keep posting your finds guys it’s an interesting thread for sure.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ok so here is my heart shaped beach stone. I did not find it though. My daughter found it on the beach in England & brought it back for me because she knows I like stones. ::tu:: ::super_happy:: She's a good kid. She has also bought me a couple of knives. A SAK & a RR. ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
P_20200105_204901.jpg
P_20200105_204843.jpg

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Neat stuff! I've always been one to pick up interesting rocks and such, but that's about as far as it goes. I have some smooth glass pieces somewhere from when we lived near Lake Champlain back in the day. I also have a piece of corprolite that I bought when I visited Utah years ago, LOL.

There's a place up north called Ruggles mine, where they let you go in and gather your own rocks and minerals. I've never found anything valuable, just large chunks of mica. In fact, I found more interesting rocks in the fill that they used when they built my driveway than other places.
TwoFlowersLuggage

Here's some stone I saw on the beach this afternoon during a low tide. There were TONS of cool rocks today. I decided that instead of hauling them home, I would just take pics of the rocks on the beach and leave them for others to enjoy.

This rock was weird - it was GREEN, and that is not algae or moss. It also had yellow splotches on it. When I first saw it, I thought maybe it was a painted stone that had ended-up on the beach - but I don't think so. I'm not sure I have ever seen a beach stone quite like this one.

20200111_134119.jpg

This stone was riddled with holes - rock swiss cheese! It also gives you a good contrast for the green rock from above that it is sitting on.

20200111_134148.jpg

This is a really pretty orange/rose-colored stone. I really like these. I think one of the reasons I like them is that they sort of remind me of WR Case Rose Bone or Appaloosa. :D

20200111_135025.jpg

Here's one of the deposits of rocks that are sometimes uncovered on our beach. The beach can be completely sandy one day, and the next day one of these will appear.
20200111_134440.jpg
20200111_134336.jpg
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

we have about a 10 mile stretch of Lake Michigan known for Septarian nodules aka "lightning stones." one I ground and polished.
Attachments
P1000777.jpg
P1000778.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I live nowhere near a beach unless you count the man made reservoirs that dot Indiana. But growing up on a farm in the 60’s and 70’s when farmers still plowed fields every year, I had a job at an early age of “hauling rocks”. Each year the plow turned up rocks that had to be removed before the planter could go through the fields. I saw first hand what the glaciers had done to the topography of Indiana. You could literally find any and every kind of rock there in those fields. Some as big as a house, and we never found the outer edge of them.
My first trip on an airliner we flew over areas close to where I grew up and you could see the difference in the soil where the top of hills use to be. It was always lighter colored earth w/ darker area’s where the valley’s use to be. Now it’s all just flat.
You can’t see that anymore w/ all the “no till” planting today. And the need to “haul rocks” isn’t as important either. But what a great lesson it was for me growing up.
My step brother who use to haul rocks w/ me, lives on the old farm and he made a beautiful fountain and pond out of some of those rocks. It’s still amazes me seeing such variety of rocks that were left from those glaciers so very long ago.
Glad to know I am not the only one here who is fascinated w/ rocks.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TwoFlowersLuggage

Wow, today was an awesome day for looking at beach stones. There were several really large deposits uncovered. Here's a few I found interesting.

This one has what I guess is some iron-rich veins running through it - I'm rich - it's the motherlode! :lol:

20200118_074749.jpg

The closely spaced & uniform layers in this one are really cool.

20200118_074523.jpg

This one looks like someone created a mosaic - the inlays are awesome!

20200118_074017.jpg

This is a cool stone with a vein of limestone or quartz that looks like lightning, and below it is a shard from a really large mussel. I don't know why more knife handles aren't made from mussels - they can be just as beautiful as abalone and they are REALLY plentiful. Or, maybe they are, and they are just sold as abalone?

20200118_074345.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Great read so far, fun and very educational, keep them rocks coming ::tu:: . Half the fun is the hunt, never knowing what rocks you'll come across. It's a lot like snowflakes, no two will ever be the same.
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
TwoFlowersLuggage

Just a couple of little guys today.

This one was really green with a confetti of smaller pieces of different colors. At first I thought this might be some sort of manmade material, but I don't know what would be this green?

20200119_074748.jpg

This one was more of a light yellowish-green that reminded me of Jade.

20200119_074315.jpg
TwoFlowersLuggage

Recently I learned how the perfectly round holes like the ones shown below are formed in beach stones. They are NOT simply worn into the rock by waves & currents - they are actually created by small shellfish called "Piddocks". On one part of their shell there is a set of hard ridges, and when they latch onto a rock with their very muscular foot, they can rotate back and forth grinding the hard edges against the rock. Over time, the result is a perfectly round hole bored into the stone. Once they are down in the hole, they never leave. They just keep grinding & making the hole wider and deeper. They stick a siphon tube up out of the hole to suck in algae and plankton. They can live for many, many years. Ain't nature cool?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholadidae

20200125_165824.jpg
20200125_165832.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those are cool, TFL. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
TPK

Post by TPK »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:21 am Recently I learned how the perfectly round holes like the ones shown below are formed in beach stones. They are NOT simply worn into the rock by waves & currents - they are actually created by small shellfish called "Piddocks". On one part of their shell there is a set of hard ridges, and when they latch onto a rock with their very muscular foot, they can rotate back and forth grinding the hard edges against the rock. Over time, the result is a perfectly round hole bored into the stone. Once they are down in the hole, they never leave. They just keep grinding & making the hole wider and deeper. They stick a siphon tube up out of the hole to suck in algae and plankton. They can live for many, many years. Ain't nature cool?

20200125_165824.jpg
20200125_165832.jpg
Great story TFL! I wonder if the Microplastics are taking their toll on those "Piddocks"? ::hmm:: Probably so. ::teary_eyes::

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:21 am Recently I learned how the perfectly round holes like the ones shown below are formed in beach stones. They are NOT simply worn into the rock by waves & currents - they are actually created by small shellfish called "Piddocks". On one part of their shell there is a set of hard ridges, and when they latch onto a rock with their very muscular foot, they can rotate back and forth grinding the hard edges against the rock. Over time, the result is a perfectly round hole bored into the stone. Once they are down in the hole, they never leave. They just keep grinding & making the hole wider and deeper. They stick a siphon tube up out of the hole to suck in algae and plankton. They can live for many, many years. Ain't nature cool?

20200125_165824.jpg
20200125_165832.jpg
My wife found the below pictured rocks a few months ago on the beach, we have often wondered why and how the holes occurred.
Now we know.
Thanks for the explanation. ::nod::

IMG_0001 (7).JPG
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Cool rocks, AND info!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

My wife calls her Piddock inflected Beach Rock "Monkey Face"

IMG_0016 (1).JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Well named

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”