Walmart

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
fergusontd

Re: Walmart

Post by fergusontd »

::woot::
jerryd6818 wrote:Red%20solo%201.jpg
Keep the red Solo cup, just do away with the song!
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote:::woot::
jerryd6818 wrote:Red%20solo%201.jpg
Keep the red Solo cup, just do away with the song!
You keep the cup. I didn't even know there was a song. ::sot::

::smack:: ::poke:: ::tease::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::woot:: I believe it was Toby Keith, it was inspired by his daughter. BTW, didnt need one in WestPac, drank straight from the bottle. ftd
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote:::woot:: I believe it was Toby Keith, it was inspired by his daughter. BTW, didnt need one in WestPac, drank straight from the bottle. ftd
For us it was straight from the can and the brand might (probably would) draw complaints but we drank it anyway. Don't recall ever seeing a bottle except maybe stateside or Mexico or Puerto Rico.

Ferg did it. He's the one responsible for knocking this one off the rails. (points finger)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::woot:: San Miguel was in glass as was most beer in ports we visited. I understand most canned beer in Nam was drank warm
ftd
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

San Miguel is a fine beer. In Nam a fair sized town would put ice in the glass but you wanted to drink the beer fast before the ice melted and little creatures started floating.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

We were lucky. We were all by our lonesome on Monkey Mountain. Had our own mess hall (no C-Rats except for Christmas - early January when Charlie blew the bridge which was our only way to get out to the peninsula) had a shower building and our own little EM Club which had a refrigerator to keep the beer cold. Indian country but there were no Indians.
Attachments
B Btry 1st LAAM MkyMtn Camp View from Hill Apr66 - Labeled.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
mikek

Post by mikek »

Sure makes you wonder
Sure makes you wonder
I pay extra for patina
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I've bought a good bit of ammo from Walmart but my most recent purchases have been online. If Walmart does not want my money so be it.

(How's that for bringing a thread back on topic ? )
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Just got back from Walmart in Marion Indiana and they still are selling guns
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I was in the local Wal-Mart this week. Made a point to go to sporting goods, and they still sell guns there! ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The corporate statement I read a few days ago stated that Wall-Mart would still sell shotguns and traditional rifles. [No semi-autos.] They would no longer sell hand guns. They will sell ammo for any gun they carry. They will sell their remaining inventory of ammo for other guns and then not restock. Don't know if they will pull out handguns immediately or sell their remaining stock.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think if I were Walmart I would be very careful of alienating my customer base. I don't know, never having worked for Walmart , but I would think the majority of Walmart's business is done in the Fly Over States, the South and in smaller cities and rural areas around the country. I don't imagine there are a lot of Walmarts in New York City. I would think the cost of real estate along would be prohibitive for a Walmart type store. The big cities where most of the left-leaning folks live are probably not the base of Walmart's business.
However the more conservative folks that tend to live in rural areas might be offended by Walmart's new policy and might stop shopping there.

On a side note I find it kind of humorous that the anti-gun crowd is focused on Military looking, semi automatic rifles. The state of the art military rifle a hundred years ago was a bolt action rifle, and they were very deadly, especially in the hands of someone who knew how to use them. Didn't Sergeant York have a bolt action rifle in World War I? He was quite effective!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

orvet wrote: Didn't Sergeant York have a bolt action rifle in World War I? He was quite effective!
Springfield '03 if I'm not sadly mistaken.

I can't figure out if people are just stupid, mis-informed, ill-informed or a combination of all three. ::facepalm::

Wal-Mart within the city limits of a sampling of large cities is as follows. Draw your own conclusions.
Attachments
Walmart in NYC.jpg
Walmart in Boston.jpg
Philadelphia PA.jpg
Alexandria VA.jpg
Walmart in Chicago.jpg
Walmart in Los Angeles.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:
I can't figure out if people are just stupid, mis-informed, ill-informed or a combination of all three. ::facepalm::
You just described the anti-Second Amendment crowd in one sentence!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

If the outlaw guns I guess I'll be an outlaw! Taking guns from law abiding people just opens the door for criminals.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I stopped into our local Ace Hardware store over the weekend, and they are getting out of guns also. I asked if this was a local or nationwide decision. The person working there said that it was just the local Sioux Falls stores, which are all owned by the same family. They never did have much of a selection and it was bolt action rifles and some shotguns. I don't remember that they ever did sell handguns. Any of you reading this, does Ace in your area still sell guns?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Not in my area, I don't recall the one store on my area ever selling guns
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

samb1955 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:50 pm If they outlaw guns I guess I'll be an outlaw! Taking guns from law abiding people just opens the door for criminals.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:52 pm does Ace in your area still sell guns?
No. Haven't for years. Neither does Walmart nor any other retail establishment other than dedicated gun and sporting goods stores. Most of that went slowly by the wayside after Illinois instituted the FOID Card (Firearms Owners Identification Card) in 1968 and sales by retail outlets had all but disappeared by the year 2000. My guess (and it is just a guess) is they didn't want to fool with the paperwork.

At least that's the way I remember it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:41 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:52 pm does Ace in your area still sell guns?
No. Haven't for years. Neither does Walmart nor any other retail establishment other than dedicated gun and sporting goods stores. Most of that went slowly by the wayside after Illinois instituted the FOID Card (Firearms Owners Identification Card) in 1968 and sales by retail outlets had all but disappeared by the year 2000. My guess (and it is just a guess) is they didn't want to fool with the paperwork.

At least that's the way I remember it.
When Illinois first came out I didn't know about it yet. I went to Montgomery Wards to buy my brother a box of shells for Christmas. Asked about my card, I said what? I just wanted them for a present so they sold them to me. The Allegan, Mi. Ace hardware store doesn't have guns but put in a great double against the wall display case for knives and flashlights.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It's been years since hardware stores around here have sold firearms. Seems to me the FFL paperwork requirements ran a lot of hardware stores out of the firearms business. If you have customers wanting help with plumbing fixtures or mixing paint it's a pain in the butt to be filling out and filing FFL paperwork instead. Plus the big box stores like Home Depot, Lowe's and WalMart put a lot of locally-owned hardware stores (and other small stores) out of business. Can't say we're better off now either.

WalMart, Cabela's, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain killed off most of the locally owned sporting goods stores too, but around here there are a lot of "gun shops" and pawn shops, plus several shooting ranges, all of them selling firearms, ammo, and related gear at very competitive prices.

However there is a niche - a town far enough away from a big city, not big enough for a big box store, but big enough to support a local independent hardware. Many of them still sell firearms. Those are still thriving. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Back when a certain person was in the White House and ammo was scarce, I used to go to that Kingstowne Walmart on Jerry's Alexandria map every weekend to see if they had any ammo I was looking for at a decent price. Mainly to avoid shipping costs too, but Midway USA and Sportsman's Guide have free shipping deals from time to time. Then ammo became readily available with the changing of the guard and I stopped going to Walmart all together. I did buy some watch batteries there this past Summer, my last and only trip this year. Not sure if that store sells ammo anymore? They and Amazon killed the local mom & pop stores.

Now I would go to Bass Pro or Cabela's for firearms, since Gander Mt. folded and the only Dunhams close by is in Maryland, which is not a firearm friendly state unless you're a criminal, then you can get whatever you want out of the back of someone's Buick. There's a few non-chain gun shops around too but not many anymore. Auto supply stores used to carry rifles, shotguns, ammo and hunting licenses when I was a kid.

Once this Blue Wave washes over Virginia you probably won't be able to buy a spitball shooter (plastic straws are already on the endangered species list).
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

Ever since Killery Clinton worked for Walmart in 2006-2007. My local Walmart only sells Chinese made knives.
56976956_2410005162344479_3527031434147528704_n.jpg

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”