What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Coinfolio
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

Post by Coinfolio »

I used to collect coins, sold most off to help with remodeling projects. Just have a few left that my kids gave me as presents, sentimental value. Wife and I started collecting Tell city maple furniture. Tell city chair co. (like Schrade) was an old time company, started way back that couldn't hang on and went out of business about 12 years ago or so. Mostly Solid maple well made furniture produced in Tell city Indiana by American Craftsman . It's still inexpensive especially relative to new and the beauty of the eastern hardrock maple is hard to surpass imho. A few months ago I was looking at my Schrade buzzsaw that I traded some coins for about 10 years ago. Forgot how cool it was until I took it out of the box, did some research and here I am, buying knives made in the U.S.A. by a legacy company that is now out of business. ( I don't count China knockoffs as the same company).
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

M-MIKE: That is a beauty. When I got mine some fool had cut the carved base off and built a cheesey looking base to make is a hall/floor piece and then painted it with a yellow antiquing paint kit. Took me forever with dental picks to get it out of the carved walnut !! Yours appears to have the same movement, long pendulum, double drive weights, ceramic face. The old clockmaker who regulated it said he loved the sound of it's ticking, kept it on his wall for an extra week just to listen. Thanks for the pic. J.O'.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:49 pm M-MIKE: That is a beauty. ...
The old clockmaker who regulated it said he loved the sound of it's ticking, kept it on his wall for an extra week just to listen. Thanks for the pic. J.O'.
Thanks!

Yep, I love to listen to mine tick!
My clock's face is paper over a brass back.

The weights hang on strings..... I think that is just so cool.

Mine was missing a few small parts (finials) but one of the guys in our clock and watch club helped me restore it. It is back just like the catalog picture now.

catalog.JPG
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

This one has brass cables. Those weights are heavy and would probably go through the floor of the clock if one broke. I'm missing the entire lower carving beneath the floor like the last pic on the right of your advertising page. Also to two finials on the top corners. I've timed her, she'll run eight days, 7 hrs. +/- on a full wind. Fun clocks! Pieces of history. ::tu:: J.O'.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Had the Buffalo nickel in my pocket for a week with not much improvement, trying the Coke bath now. Some say I have bats in my belfry. 🤭
Attachments
IMG_20210729_185103177.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:00 pm Had the Buffalo nickel in my pocket for a week with not much improvement, trying the Coke bath now. Some say I have bats in my belfry. 🤭
If that doesn't work mate, try baking soda and vinegar. Did a science experiment years ago in school, worked great on brass pennies. Couldn't hurt, unless it breakes down silver, which I don't know about...
::hmm::

Oh, and i've used strong toothpaste before, works too.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:30 pm
1967redrider wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:00 pm Had the Buffalo nickel in my pocket for a week with not much improvement, trying the Coke bath now. Some say I have bats in my belfry. 🤭
If that doesn't work mate, try baking soda and vinegar. Did a science experiment years ago in school, worked great on brass pennies. Couldn't hurt, unless it breakes down silver, which I don't know about...
::hmm::

Oh, and i've used strong toothpaste before, works too.

Thanks, Willy. I did a few Coca Cola baths and got this far. It could have been buried for close to 100 years, I believe it's dated 1920.
Attachments
IMG_20210730_215548301.jpg
IMG_20210730_215611210.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:04 pm I like old clocks. I can't say I'm a "collector" but I have a few and will buy one if I like it. Here are some. (Sorry about the rotations, don't know what happened. Maybe they'll be right if you click on them.)Top to Bottom
Serh Thomas, mahogany case, C.1920's
Ansonia "Medina" 5' walnut, regulator wall clock, 1882
Ingraham, c. 1890's oak Kitchen clock
Westbury, c. 1890's oak Kitchen clock
Back of 1911, Smith's Enfield brass engine room clock
Face and beveled crystal of Smith's Enfield
Sessions, Banjo clock, c.1920's
American Clock Co., C. 1860, Cast iron figural clock. I have a photo of Boston Corbett, the soldier who shot John Wilkes Booth seated at a table with a very similar clock.

All the clocks work very well. I knew an old clock maker who regulated each one for me. He died about twenty years ago. Don't know what I'll do if one goes bad. I wind each one a couple times each year, so far, so good.
J.O'.
I like old clocks too. About five years ago I bought my first, a non-working mantle clock for just a few bucks. As fate would have it, and without any prior knowledge I fixed it....I then started buying "broken" vintage and antique clocks. I am able, without knowledge or tools, to be able to get about 50% of them running. At first, it was hard to forgive myself for my failures, but I have gotten over it.... I give my failures to a real clock maker that lives about 50 miles away and he uses them for parts. If I were younger, I would pursue the hobby with more effort.

If you want to see some of your clocks in situ, watch the old western, "High Noon." ;)

I built the "grandfather" clock out of some antique lumber and put an orphaned movement it it. I really like the old wall clocks, here is the cream of my stash. The first "wall clock" is labeled "South Georgia Clock Co." The third is a Seth Thomas Garfield model. (the only one that is valuable) The other large wall clock is an unknown "store clock."
Attachments
DSCN1119.JPG
DSCN1120.JPG
DSCN1121.JPG
DSCN1122.JPG
DSCN2504.JPG
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Don't worry about the bats. Insanity is the spice of life. Take it from an expert.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

An article from a New York newspaper, December 1945.
Click on the picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Very nice! Thanks for the comeback. J.O'.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

We had our watch & Clock club meeting yesterday. One of the guys has many, MANY clocks. I am trying to make a deal with him for one of his Perpetual, Calendar clocks. These clocks have the most AMAZING movements!
That clock has a gear that goes around only ONCE every 4 YEARS and it holds up February for one day during leap year. That movement takes account for LEAP YEAR!

These movements were made by clock makers that only had the equipment available to them in the late 1800's and early 1900's..... WOW!!

::ds::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:34 pm We had our watch & Clock club meeting yesterday. One of the guys has many, MANY clocks. I am trying to make a deal with him for one of his Perpetual, Calendar clocks. These clocks have the most AMAZING movements!
That clock has a gear that goes around only ONCE every 4 YEARS and it holds up February for one day during leap year. That movement takes account for LEAP YEAR!

These movements were made by clock makers that only had the equipment available to them in the late 1800's and early 1900's..... WOW!!

::ds::
That clock sounds Kool Mike. Good Luck getting it!! 😎
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:07 am
Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:48 pm A fourth vote in favor of steam engine and stationary gas engine goodness.
WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:17 pm
Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:41 am

Yes....

Let's see a few pics of your steam goodies!!

::tu::
Third it!
8) ::tu::
Ok gents, fair enough! Here are a few of my large lumps. My Minneapolis traction engine at work on a thresher, my Little Giant steam air compressor, and my International Harvester “Famous” gas engine.
:shock: Wow! Cool stuff Willy! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Maddogfl wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:29 pm
Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:04 pm I like old clocks. I can't say I'm a "collector" but I have a few and will buy one if I like it. Here are some. (Sorry about the rotations, don't know what happened. Maybe they'll be right if you click on them.)Top to Bottom
Serh Thomas, mahogany case, C.1920's
Ansonia "Medina" 5' walnut, regulator wall clock, 1882
Ingraham, c. 1890's oak Kitchen clock
Westbury, c. 1890's oak Kitchen clock
Back of 1911, Smith's Enfield brass engine room clock
Face and beveled crystal of Smith's Enfield
Sessions, Banjo clock, c.1920's
American Clock Co., C. 1860, Cast iron figural clock. I have a photo of Boston Corbett, the soldier who shot John Wilkes Booth seated at a table with a very similar clock.

All the clocks work very well. I knew an old clock maker who regulated each one for me. He died about twenty years ago. Don't know what I'll do if one goes bad. I wind each one a couple times each year, so far, so good.
J.O'.
I like old clocks too. About five years ago I bought my first, a non-working mantle clock for just a few bucks. As fate would have it, and without any prior knowledge I fixed it....I then started buying "broken" vintage and antique clocks. I am able, without knowledge or tools, to be able to get about 50% of them running. At first, it was hard to forgive myself for my failures, but I have gotten over it.... I give my failures to a real clock maker that lives about 50 miles away and he uses them for parts. If I were younger, I would pursue the hobby with more effort.

If you want to see some of your clocks in situ, watch the old western, "High Noon." ;)

I built the "grandfather" clock out of some antique lumber and put an orphaned movement it it. I really like the old wall clocks, here is the cream of my stash. The first "wall clock" is labeled "South Georgia Clock Co." The third is a Seth Thomas Garfield model. (the only one that is valuable) The other large wall clock is an unknown "store clock."
That's pretty cool! I have often thought about collecting clocks but my house is just too small.
Cool Hobby! Thanks for sharing! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

I'm starting a new collection of ::hmm:: umm ::shrug:: Stuff. :mrgreen:

I'll just call it "transportation related stuff" to decorate the inside of my pretty large carport. The main portion of the collection will probably be U.S. license plates. Other things I am thinking of are a motor cycle wheel, a Ford Mustang hub cap, maybe an old oil can or two, some tools & whatever else I can come up with. ::hmm::

If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know. ::nod:: ::tu::

Anyways, I should already have license plates from MD, FL & PENN somewhere. ::hmm:: Just have to look for them. ::paranoid:: And I just bought one from Alabama. ::nod:: I liked it because it reminds me of the song "Sweet Home Alabama". ::super_happy:: Of course I will need several more states to make it a nice collection and give the car port that "Man's Cave" feeling. We will use the car port for outside get togethers and the like. I'll keep you all updated with pictures as the collection grows. ::nod::

Anyways here is the first plate I bought for the car port. ::tu::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-09-22T221807.050.jpg

Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

TPK wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:04 pm I'm starting a new collection of ::hmm:: umm ::shrug:: Stuff. :mrgreen:

I'll just call it "transportation related stuff" to decorate the inside of my pretty large carport.
Great idea, Tom, will be fun to watch it take shape.....you will share photos, right?
Have you ever seen any of these old plates in antique stores over there? That would be cool to have on your wall.
Attachments
1961-US-Forces-in-Germany-License-Plate.jpg
1961-US-Forces-in-Germany-License-Plate.jpg (28.13 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Ike
TPK

Post by TPK »

Waukonda wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:24 pm
TPK wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:04 pm I'm starting a new collection of ::hmm:: umm ::shrug:: Stuff. :mrgreen:

I'll just call it "transportation related stuff" to decorate the inside of my pretty large carport.
Great idea, Tom, will be fun to watch it take shape.....you will share photos, right?
Have you ever seen any of these old plates in antique stores over there? That would be cool to have on your wall.
Hi Ike,

Yes I'll be sure to post some pictures of it all here as I go and add new things to it. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::

:shock: Wow! ::woot:: Now that's a real cool plate! :shock: That one would be perfect for the collection! ::nod:: I have never ran across any of those before. Maybe I'll get lucky enough to find one of those some day. Thanks for sharing that picture because I have never seen one of those plates so I wouldn't have known they even existed. ::handshake:: I'll be on the look out for one of them now. ::paranoid:: :shock: ::paranoid:: ::super_happy::

Edit: Is that one yours? Were you stationed in Germany? ::shrug:: If so it's cool! 8) ::tu:: That one is from 61, I didn't get here till 91. ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

OK Folks, so here is a rather strange collection I started about a year ago. Wood knots. :oops: ::shrug::

As to why, your guess is as good as mine. I believe it started with one of the smaller knots that I found and I thought, ::hmm:: hmmm that would look nice on a lanyard. Then I just started collecting them. I am a warehouse clerk and where there are palletes, you will find wood knots from time to time. ::nod::

But collecting wood knots is not even the strangest part. :mrgreen: The strangest part of it all is that I like to stand them on end & spray Ballistol oil on them. I let it soak in (can take anywhere from a few min. - a few hrs.) and them repeat the process 4-5 times. Then I turn the knot onto the opposite end and repeat the process yet again untill the knots have been soaked all the way through with Ballistol oil. Why do I do this you may ask. I have no idea. ::shrug:: I think I'm just addicted to the smell of the oil and wood knots are cheaper than pocket knives. :lol: :mrgreen: It does make them look nicer. ::nod::

What will I do with them? ::hmm:: ::shrug:: Not really sure yet. ::hmm:: Maybe I will put a couple of them on lanyards and maybe I'll make some kind of strange art figures that nobody wants out of them. ::shrug:: I don't know yet. ::shrug::

Untill I figure that out, I'll just continue collecting them & enjoying the smell of Ballistol oil. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20210925_072031_698.jpg
IMG_20210925_072108_825.jpg
IMG_20210925_072054_079.jpg
IMG_20210925_072043_118.jpg
IMG_20210925_072352_472.jpg
IMG_20210925_075703_280.jpg
IMG_20210925_072031_529.jpg

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

TPK wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:06 am OK Folks, so here is a rather strange collection I started about a year ago. Wood knots. :oops: ::shrug::

As to why, your guess is as good as mine. I believe it started with one of the smaller knots that I found and I thought, ::hmm:: hmmm that would look nice on a lanyard. Then I just started collecting them. I am a warehouse clerk and where there are palletes, you will find wood knots from time to time. ::nod::

But collecting wood knots is not even the strangest part. :mrgreen: The strangest part of it all is that I like to stand them on end & spray Ballistol oil on them. I let it soak in (can take anywhere from a few min. - a few hrs.) and them repeat the process 4-5 times. Then I turn the knot onto the opposite end and repeat the process yet again untill the knots have been soaked all the way through with Ballistol oil. Why do I do this you may ask. I have no idea. ::shrug:: I think I'm just addicted to the smell of the oil and wood knots are cheaper than pocket knives. :lol: :mrgreen: It does make them look nicer. ::nod::

What will I do with them? ::hmm:: ::shrug:: Not really sure yet. ::hmm:: Maybe I will put a couple of them on lanyards and maybe I'll make some kind of strange art figures that nobody wants out of them. ::shrug:: I don't know yet. ::shrug::

Untill I figure that out, I'll just continue collecting them & enjoying the smell of Ballistol oil. :lol:
Put 'em in your socks and underwear drawer as a sachet!! ::super_happy::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:44 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:06 am OK Folks, so here is a rather strange collection I started about a year ago. Wood knots. :oops: ::shrug::

Put 'em in your socks and underwear drawer as a sachet!! ::super_happy::
::rotflol:: ::clapping:: Great idea!!! Never would have thought of that one. ::dang:: :lol:

TPK

Post by TPK »

Getting back to the license plates topic. I did a search & recovery mission in the barn. ::tu::

Here's what I came across and then how I mounted them on the barn door. I didn't find one from MD after all. :x I thought I had one. ::hmm:: ::shrug:: Oh well, I need more of them anyways. ::nod:: Think I'll add about 8-10 more. MD, Hawaii, Texas, GA, NC & WV just to name a few off the top of my head. ::hmm:: Oh & I'd like to add a Ford Mustang hub cap too. ::nod:: That should be enough. ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20210925_143704_672.jpg
IMG_20210925_161256_371.jpg
IMG_20210925_161327_775.jpg

Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

TPK wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:29 am
Waukonda wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Hi Ike,

Edit: Is that one yours? Were you stationed in Germany? ::shrug:: If so it's cool! 8) ::tu:: That one is from 61, I didn't get here till 91. ::super_happy::
No, I should have made that clear, I just ran across that photo.
Ike
TPK

Post by TPK »

ALOHA!!! ::super_happy::

Just bought this one for under $10 shipped to add to the others. ::groove:: ::super_happy::
What a deal! These normally sell for much more. ::nod::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-09-26T175756.424.jpg

New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:06 am OK.....
Tom, you and Joe (FRJ) should compare knots.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=63250&start=120#p753300
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”