Ornithology (Bird) Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
WillyCamaro

Re: Ornithology (Bird) Thread

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yup, yup, and yup Mr. Biggy ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tounge::
bighomer wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:08 pm I like a little sugar water too
20200627_115808.jpg20200627_115830.jpg
Grayish brown bunny birds sure like cracked corn
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

It's best to leave Homer's birds alone if you enjoy slithering ::sneaky:: . Eat all the rodents you want, birds not so much. ::uc:: ::woot::
20200629_162341.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

We had this parade take place across the street this morning.
3717-1.jpg
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

bighomer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 am It's best to leave Homer's birds alone if you enjoy slithering ::sneaky:: . Eat all the rodents you want, birds not so much. ::uc:: ::woot:: 20200629_162341.jpg
Well have to agree with you on this on, my friend. We've had way too many Oak snakes trying to catch birds by coiling up on, around and even inside the bird feeders. Saw one last year actually catch a Chickadee in flight as it came to a feeder! Out away and from the house and yard, most snakes get a pass with the exception of the Cottonmouth Moccasin and the Eastern Diamondback.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Boss of the night.
Attachments
20200711_202115.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great pic bh. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

bighomer wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:31 am Boss of the night.
Are they common in your Area?
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Cool!
Still waiting to see my first owl in the wild.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A super photo bighomer. ::tu::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:23 am
bighomer wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:31 am Boss of the night.
Are they common in your Area?
Yes cudgee I see this one or I should say I see one quite often. Owls are the most elegant of all the Raptors imo. We also have barn owls and screech owls. As a matter of fact sweet thang and I were sitting on the back deck shortly after dark and heard a screech owl. ::handshake::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice owl, Homer! I have not sen an owl this year. They just do not seem to live in my neighborhood. I miss hearing them at dusk. I have never seen a Barn Owl. They are supposed to be in this area. But considering just how rare it is for me to see any owl, I guess I have just not spotted one yet.
Mel
TPK

Post by TPK »

bighomer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 am It's best to leave Homer's birds alone if you enjoy slithering ::sneaky:: . Eat all the rodents you want, birds not so much. ::uc:: ::woot:: 20200629_162341.jpg
LOL! ::nod:: :lol:

Cool Owl picture Buddy! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Thanks fellers.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Awesome owl buddy Biggy ::tu:: .

Not too rub it in too much Steve, here was a fine friend that dropped by one spring evening...

:mrgreen:

Woot woot, ::woot:: .

::sotb::
Attachments
DSCN2958.JPG
DSCN2959.JPG
DSCN2960.JPG
DSCN2961.JPG
DSCN2962.JPG
DSCN2963.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:06 am Awesome owl buddy Biggy ::tu:: .

Not too rub it in too much Steve, here was a fine friend that dropped by one spring evening...

:mrgreen:

Woot woot, ::woot:: .

::sotb::
That's not just rubbing it in, Willy, it's salt in the wounds!! :lol: :lol:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Dinadan wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:00 pm Very nice owl, Homer! I have not sen an owl this year. They just do not seem to live in my neighborhood. I miss hearing them at dusk. I have never seen a Barn Owl. They are supposed to be in this area. But considering just how rare it is for me to see any owl, I guess I have just not spotted one yet.
It's been awhile for me to see a barn owl., that old tobacco barn that the great horn owl is sitting own had vents on top of it, about 3' square, they had a floor that you could open to vent the smoke when you was firing dark fired tobacco, anyway long after we quit raising tobacco, one stayed in one of the vents for a long while may have even nested there. I've only saw one screech owl in my life and would never have seen it except for I was cutting a tree down for firewood and disturbed him and he flew to another tree and lit. ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

bighomer wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:26 pm
Dinadan wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:00 pm Very nice owl, Homer! I have not sen an owl this year. They just do not seem to live in my neighborhood. I miss hearing them at dusk. I have never seen a Barn Owl. They are supposed to be in this area. But considering just how rare it is for me to see any owl, I guess I have just not spotted one yet.
It's been awhile for me to see a barn owl., that old tobacco barn that the great horn owl is sitting own had vents on top of it, about 3' square, they had a floor that you could open to vent the smoke when you was firing dark fired tobacco, anyway long after we quit raising tobacco, one stayed in one of the vents for a long while may have even nested there. I've only saw one screech owl in my life and would never have seen it except for I was cutting a tree down for firewood and disturbed him and he flew to another tree and lit. ::tu::
How long ago did you stop growing tobacco, and what did you grow to replace growing tobacco? We stopped growing tobacco over here about 20 years ago.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

cudgee wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:56 pm
bighomer wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:26 pm
How long ago did you stop growing tobacco, and what did you grow to replace growing tobacco? We stopped growing tobacco over here about 20 years ago.
cudgee, dad guit raising it when I was about 15 years old so that was 60 years ago. We still owned the base and rented it out for years, when I bought the farm the base was transfered me and then a few years ago the government (i.e. taxpayers ) bought up all the allotments or bases as we called them.
To answer the 2nd question we tried our hand at raising a few head of cows, but it was mostly a 4H/ FFA project for me, my cow died having a calf and that done me in.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

bighomer wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:26 pm I've only saw one screech owl in my life and would never have seen it except for I was cutting a tree down for firewood and disturbed him and he flew to another tree and lit. ::tu::
I have seen several screech owls in my life: not a lot. I think that every one that I have seen was in a bird box. I try to always have an over size nesting box with a hole at least three inches in diameter just for flickers if any happen along. Screech owls like those boxes to roost in. I could tell when a Screech owl was in the box because Blue Jays would be making a ruckus around the box and the owl would be inside looking out the hole. If you know you have owls on your property, try putting up a box with a 3.5" hole that you can see from your porch.
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A few pic's from our recent trip to Seattle and area. Also saw an osprey, an eagle, a gold finch and a first for me a Western Tanager. Of course I either didn't have my camera or they were too quick for a pic. The Tanager was absolutely stunning. But I did have my camera for a few ducks and steller jays and a crow bathing.
DSCN6405.JPG
DSCN6406.JPG
DSCN6407.JPG
DSCN6408.JPG
DSCN6411.JPG
DSCN6413.JPG
DSCN6503.JPG
DSCN6403.JPG
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Kool pics Floyd!! ::tu:: And congrats on the Eagle sighting.. Every time I see one it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!! :lol: :lol:
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

jmh58 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:57 pm Kool pics Floyd!! ::tu:: And congrats on the Eagle sighting.. Every time I see one it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!! :lol: :lol:
John :D
Thanks John, me too. The osprey was exciting as well, it was hovering. But oh the Tanager!!! Brilliant red head and yellow body. Breath taking. ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

All fine shots Floyd. I've told the story before but I once bought a property because an eagle flew over low and slow at the moment of decision. Took it as a sign. :)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:07 pm All fine shots Floyd. I've told the story before but I once bought a property because an eagle flew over low and slow at the moment of decision. Took it as a sign. :)
Cool story QS. Also glad you and your sister are good. Haven't heard anything about your friend with alzimers lately.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”