Ornithology (Bird) Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Ornithology (Bird) Thread

Post by Dinadan »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
Dinadan wrote:Great photos of that hawk, Olde Cutler! I am thinking maybe a Rough Legged Hawk: it does not look like a Red Tail to me. Heck, I can even identify the Garter Snake - very sharp photos.
I always have a problem with identifying the hawks in our area. There are several species that have similar colors, juvenile birds can vary so much from the adults in color, and my color vision isn't very good either. I always try to get close, sharp pictures to compare to the bird books I have.
I would not call myself an expert by any means, but I have worked on my raptor identification skills for a few decades. I am partially colorblind, in the red-green-brown spectrum, so I do not rely on colors when I try to identify a bird. I am not certain at all about the species of your hawk, but the second I saw the photo I thought Rough-legged.

If you are interested in hawks, allow me to suggest a book. Hawks in Flight, by Dunne, Sibley, and Sutton. It has helped me more than any other book (I have a lot of bird books) when it comes to identifying hawks. And all illustrations are grayscale, not color. Here is a link to the book on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Hawks-Flight-Sec ... 160&sr=1-1
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dinadan wrote:
OLDE CUTLER wrote:
Dinadan wrote:Great photos of that hawk, Olde Cutler! I am thinking maybe a Rough Legged Hawk: it does not look like a Red Tail to me. Heck, I can even identify the Garter Snake - very sharp photos.
I always have a problem with identifying the hawks in our area. There are several species that have similar colors, juvenile birds can vary so much from the adults in color, and my color vision isn't very good either. I always try to get close, sharp pictures to compare to the bird books I have.
I would not call myself an expert by any means, but I have worked on my raptor identification skills for a few decades. I am partially colorblind, in the red-green-brown spectrum, so I do not rely on colors when I try to identify a bird. I am not certain at all about the species of your hawk, but the second I saw the photo I thought Rough-legged.

If you are interested in hawks, allow me to suggest a book. Hawks in Flight, by Dunne, Sibley, and Sutton. It has helped me more than any other book (I have a lot of bird books) when it comes to identifying hawks. And all illustrations are grayscale, not color. Here is a link to the book on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Hawks-Flight-Sec ... 160&sr=1-1
Mel I concur on the book. A really good one. ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Can someone assist me with an identification of this visitor?
Attachments
P1030433 (2).JPG
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Quick Steel wrote:Can someone assist me with an identification of this visitor?
Probably an Eastern Phoebe. It is in the flycatcher family for certain.
Mel
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Definitely Flycatcher and Phoebe-like but it looks like it has a little more color, maybe a Yellow Bellied Flycatcher??? Although, I don't think they are often seen out of the woods.....
Ike
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I'm somewhat inclined towards the Yellow-Bellied but my books show all the empids with wing bars. None were visible on this one.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

I see that you are exactly right about the wing bars, I was shooting from the hip with my answer and hadn't looked at any photos hmmmm
Ike
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Flycatchers can be hard to differentiate, at least for me. But note the habitat: Eastern Phoebes like barns and back yards. That was a substantial part of my call. A lot of the flycatcher species are just hard to even catch a glimpse of, in my experience.
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Right, this family of birds has always been notoriously difficult. On balance Mel I think your call of a Phoebe is most likely correct. As you pointed out the habitat fits best. Thanks to both you and Ike for you inputs.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

IMAG0110.jpg
IMAG0109.jpg
Some very large geese i saw at a botanical gardens. The photo does not relay how massive they were.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Holy Cow Cudgee! What are you feeding those things down there in the Southern Hemisphere?
Ike
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Waukonda wrote:Holy Cow Cudgee! What are you feeding those things down there in the Southern Hemisphere?
They are in the botanical gardens at a small place called Malmsbury. The tourists and visitors feed them. Soon as they see a car pull up, they come over straight away. They are massive.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The highly respected Science Magazine published the results of a major study on U.S. bird populations. Two techniques were used: about 140 radar sites counting spring migration numbers and, what has been used for decades, actual annual field counts by volunteers. Both counts supported each other and also European studies.

Bottom line: We have lost two and half Billion birds affecting 300 species including our most common: robins, sparrows, blackbirds, orioles.
Blue Jays are down 25%. Every kind of habitat (with one exception) has suffered huge losses. The worst loss occurred in our mid-western grasslands i.e. our farm states- down 50% due to modern agricultural practices. This would be birds like Meadowlarks, Red-winged Blackbirds, various Sparrows. In woods, small birds known as Warblers have been devastated. Oddly a similar family, the Vieros which occupy the same habitat, have relatively few losses.

The exceptions to these losses are: eagles, falcons, ducks and waterbirds. These have recovered due to specific conservation efforts.

What are the causes of this huge decline? Seems to be loss of habitat, pesticides; large numbers crash into buildings during migration, cats kill millions per year.

In parallel, Insect populations are down 50% in England. Amphibians like frogs are in big trouble.

All this degrading of wildlife is due to human activities rather than something like climate change.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

My birds have disappeared, migrated I guess and the birds from up north haven't shown up yet. QS I think you and I have touch on this before, I've been feeding birds and watching them for about 45 or 50 years and I see the decline. This past year it seems that I've noticed and uptick in the population but right now I'm seeing a few cardinals and blue Jays and doves, even the hated starlings have disappeared. It may have something to do with this dry spell. I generally have a few toads around the flower beds but I've not noticed any this year. Something else this year is the lack of grasshoppers, usually when I'm mowing they are jumping everywhere and I'm not seeing that. ::shrug:: ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

bighomer, In the report Starlings were mentioned as having a big decline.Actually I think this issue is of profound importance. There is a lot of noise about climate change but I think there are much more important environmental concerns unrelated to temperatures. We had lots of Robins this year. But over all they have had a big decline. 300 species are in substantial decline. Hope more people in the colder states will keep up with winter feeding.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

And not to mention, the many millions of birds killed each year by wind turbines... ::disgust::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

WillyCamaro wrote:And not to mention, the many millions of birds killed each year by wind turbines... ::disgust::
That's the way the gene pool gets cleaned up...

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Personally, I think it's chemical use in farming. I have nothing to back that up. Just my feeling.
I think chemicals affect the bugs and many critters up the food chain.

Do wind turbines kill lots of birds? If they do I would be surprised.
I have watched birds fly head long into heavy foliage and not so much as touch a leaf.
I would be surprised if they couldn't avoid a relatively slow moving huge fan blade.
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

This little flock of marauders visited the deer feeder last week. Looks like they had to wait their turn, there is a gray squirrel ahead of them on the ground under the feeder.
MFDC0750.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

There are some good points made about declining bird numbers. As a personal observation, when I was young back in the middle of the last century, in the fall and winter I would observe huge flocks of robins moving through the woods when I hunting. For a while, maybe half an hour, robins would be everywhere in the bushes and trees and on the ground, with lots of chirping and fluttering. I have not seen a flock like that in decades. I miss that.

I do think that everything changes, whether from man made causes or natural causes. When I was a kid, humans had made an environment here in the Southeast that was probably better for a lot of birds than anything that had ever existed naturally. Small fields and pastures, with lots of fence rows and wooded areas scattered around. Perfect for quail and many species of songbirds. The change from that kind of land use to huge fields and huge pine plantations eliminated a big segment of songbird habitat. But what was eliminated was something that we had created.

Stop for a moment and think about this. Not too many thousand years ago most of Canada and a bit of the northern USA were covered in continental glaciers. How many birds do you think lived in the north half of North America when it was covered in over a mile of ice? My point is that things are changing, have always changed, and always will change. If we can identify the cause of a bird decline, the way we did with DDT and the raptors and pelicans and so forth, by all means let us try to fix things. But do not think we are going to recreate some kind of avian Garden of Eden that never actually existed.

Speaking of gardens, the Hummers are busy in my back yard. Here is a little female going after the cypress vine. Cypress vine is a morning glory, and the flowers are closed in the afternoon, but the hummers must still be able to get nectar from the way they visit.
Attachments
Ruby throat
Ruby throat
Mel
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice picture, Mel.
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Dinadan wrote:There are some good points made about declining bird numbers. As a personal observation, when I was young back in the middle of the last century, in the fall and winter I would observe huge flocks of robins moving through the woods when I hunting. For a while, maybe half an hour, robins would be everywhere in the bushes and trees and on the ground, with lots of chirping and fluttering. I have not seen a flock like that in decades. I miss that.

I do think that everything changes, whether from man made causes or natural causes. When I was a kid, humans had made an environment here in the Southeast that was probably better for a lot of birds than anything that had ever existed naturally. Small fields and pastures, with lots of fence rows and wooded areas scattered around. Perfect for quail and many species of songbirds. The change from that kind of land use to huge fields and huge pine plantations eliminated a big segment of songbird habitat. But what was eliminated was something that we had created.

Stop for a moment and think about this. Not too many thousand years ago most of Canada and a bit of the northern USA were covered in continental glaciers. How many birds do you think lived in the north half of North America when it was covered in over a mile of ice? My point is that things are changing, have always changed, and always will change. If we can identify the cause of a bird decline, the way we did with DDT and the raptors and pelicans and so forth, by all means let us try to fix things. But do not think we are going to recreate some kind of avian Garden of Eden that never actually existed.

Speaking of gardens, the Hummers are busy in my back yard. Here is a little female going after the cypress vine. Cypress vine is a morning glory, and the flowers are closed in the afternoon, but the hummers must still be able to get nectar from the way they visit.
Well put and explained, and great photo they are beautiful birds. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sitting by the firepit, sipping my coffee.
Hadn't seen a Nuthatch all summer when one a makes a grab and go run at the feeder.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

FRJ wrote:Personally, I think it's chemical use in farming. I have nothing to back that up. Just my feeling.
I think chemicals affect the bugs and many critters up the food chain.

Do wind turbines kill lots of birds? If they do I would be surprised.
I have watched birds fly head long into heavy foliage and not so much as touch a leaf.
I would be surprised if they couldn't avoid a relatively slow moving huge fan blade.
Well documented that wind turbines are murderous on birds. The mirrored solar generators that reflect the concentrated beam of light kill more than their share too. Not reported as both energy providers are on the PC list at the moment.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, doglegg. I remain surprised.
Joe

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”