The Perfect Nightmare

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Perfect Nightmare

Post by jerryd6818 »

This is me. :mrgreen: 2:56

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Perfect Nightmare

Post by peanut740 »

Jerry that is great,glad I'm an old mossey back SOB.
Roger
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Jerry, That is so true. It is such a different mindset. I still think the old fashioned way of communicating is still the best.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

WHAT JUST HAPPENED ... !!!!! ::mdm::
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Unfortunately it is true, and several generations have now been affected (infected?). I work with young people quite a bit through scouts and church, and have great-nieces/nephews. Pretty much everyone under the age of 30 has been influenced, and some have been consumed by it. Their preference is to not have to talk to anyone. If you want to communicate with them, send a text or put it on line where they can read it.

It is not uncommon at all to walk up to a group of teens, all of them with their heads buried in their phones and thumbs pounding away frantically. What are they doing? Texting each other, even though they are sitting next to the person they are texting!

Want to tell them how to do something? For heavens sake, don’t ask them to take notes - write it down for them and send it, or post it on line and text the URL to them. Don’t have Facebook, Snapchat, or at least a website? Forget it - you don’t exist.

And to think, I’m working with mostly the better ones. ::facepalm:: We try to teach them the values of interpersonal communication and relationships, and the value of getting outdoors and leaving tech behind. But it’s like swimming against a rushing current.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......that's definitely ME!!!!............... ::facepalm:: ...............
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Ha!!!! Pretty much me, too. But when they find out, how much we look at knives...we will probably get a visit from our local PD, for being antisocial psychopaths ::nod::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Very recently, maybe the last two weeks, I’ve started hauling out the IPod at work, during breaks. Last night I had it out at the jam. I need to not do that.
Part of it is keeping track of my younger son, who has been having a rough time with an on again off again relationship. Part of it is here!
I’m somewhat saved by needing to have wifi. I can still look out the windows when I’m on the bus or in the truck. I have no intention of getting a phone with data. My phone is a little blue ZTE flip and I’m quite happy with it. I also prefer to have my online stuff and my actual phone separate, so the flip/iPod combo works for me.
I can actually remember walking all the way to the library to look something up and buying reference books! I remember phoning the radio station to find out the name of a song.
I’m old!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ann, are you firing up that bus that takes us on a trip down memory lane?

Ya know, I think we older folks feel superior to those younger folks who do all that stuff and they feel superior to all us older folks who don't. Maybe we could find a middle ground. Or not.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Well, I am another old geezer. I kind of understand the preference for communication via computer. I do seen to recall that about forty to fifty years ago meeting girls and setting up dates was a bit stressful. I did see some movies that I did not love just to have a reason to ask a lady out for a date. And the discos and honkytonks where they wanted to dance were not that much fun either!
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not have a smart phone or any mobile device. AAPK is my entire online presence. I do not do facebook, snapchat, twitter, etc. I am living the same way i have always lived and i do not feel as if i am missing out on anything. When i am outside no one can contact me and i cannot contact anyone either. 'All' i can do is interact with whatever or whomever is in my presence. There is no need that i be reachable at all times.
People have been sucked down a rabbit hole into a false world of pixels replacing reality and think they cannot live without a constant online presence. But it is a huge cosmic joke. You can live perfectly fine without any mobile device or online life. Maybe even live better.
Much of where i live has no wireless service. Get lost in the bush here and you are, well, lost and you cannot phone for help. I hope it remains this way.
kj
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I have to admit, I really like being able to research anything I want, whenever I want.
I don’t play online games, nor do I tweet, Instagram or Snapchat. I use Facebook to keep track of events, birthdays and to have a laugh. I also like being in touch with out of town friends and family. I’m on here, an Alice Cooper fan site, and a general discussion site. I check out the weather on Environment Canada too.
I truly hate making phone calls. I don’t call my own children. I can talk for an hour if someone makes the initial contact, but picking up the phone? Nope. Texting is no problem. Messenger is a very good thing, for me.
I very seldom put up posts myself. I reply though and like things.

I really wish I’d had a cellphone when my mom was ill. I was doing all of the caregiving, while trying to be with my own family too. I’d call her every couple of hours when I was at home. If we wanted to take the kids out, I’d have to know where all the payphones were and make the calls from them. It was not easy. A cellphone would have given her security and me, freedom.
I guess the thing is to use the technology without being swallowed by it.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

carrmillus wrote:......that's definitely ME!!!!............... ::facepalm:: ...............
ME, too, carrmillus!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”