I Didn't Win Mega Millions

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I Didn't Win Mega Millions

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wayne, I get all that randomness and the same odds on this and on that. I really do but if I pick my own on Lotto numbers and use quick picks on Mega Million and Power Ball and Lucky Day Lotto, who cares. If I buy lottery tickets to give me a miniscule amount of hope in a bleak and messed up world, who cares. If you do it or don't do it, who cares. If I don't win this monster Mega Millions jackpot, who cares. If I were to win this monster Mega Millions jackpot, who cares. Oh, wait. I know the answer to that one. I DO, THAT'S WHO. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I played the odds a little differently. I used my money to buy an old knife. The odds that my knife will be proven to have belonged to someone famous like George Washington or Daniel Boone or Paul Bunyan are about the same as willing the lottery and then my knife would be worth a fortune. While I wait to find out I think I'll go whittle something. ___Dave
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Well I don't know nothing about all that stuff, think I'll get another cuppa joe and contemplate it. ::hmm::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

jerryd6818 wrote:Wayne, I get all that randomness and the same odds on this and on that. I really do but if I pick my own on Lotto numbers and use quick picks on Mega Million and Power Ball and Lucky Day Lotto, who cares. If I buy lottery tickets to give me a miniscule amount of hope in a bleak and messed up world, who cares. If you do it or don't do it, who cares. If I don't win this monster Mega Millions jackpot, who cares. If I were to win this monster Mega Millions jackpot, who cares. Oh, wait. I know the answer to that one. I DO, THAT'S WHO. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pascal's Wager applied to lotto... ::tounge::

Do they actually keep the balls in "sets"? That seems silly. I would randomly select a specific numbered ball from a large population of balls with the same number. If they did that, any idea that a particular "set" of balls would fall a certain way goes out the window.

Human brains are pre-programmed to see patterns. It is one of our greatest problem-solving skills and probably one of the most useful skills our primate brains ever developed. Ir definitely came in handy when our ancestors were looking for sabre-toothed cats that might be crouching in the bushes. However, a side effect of this very useful skill is our tendency to see patterns EVERYWHERE, even in places where there is no pattern except probability.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Suitcase, while your idea is not a bad one, it's much easier for them to have several sets at the ready and pick one at random. A real time saver. Or maybe they could have 70 of those gumball machines, each full of the same number and when time came to draw, they would all spit out a random ball to make a set. ::shrug:: Nah, then they would have to be manually returned them to their home machine and you run the risk of getting a couple of balls in with the wrong numbers. The current procedure is about as good as you're going to get.

I don't feel bad about throwing away the price of a cheap Chinese knife each week on the off chance (no matter how slim) of a monstrous return on my money. After all, as I've said many times, I'm really just buying a dream.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Just don't be one of these guys...

"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

News say's one winner in south Carolina. After my heart attack and trip to the attorney and financial ad visors I would give a substantial portion to scholar ships. Not the relatives coming out of the wood work that I never heard of. A lady from church won a instant million lottery around a year ago. Had to go on TV news. I think payments over 20 years? She built a new house. Still works.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

One winner. $1.6 Billion. It boggles my mind. I hope that individual has the good sense to keep their tater trap shut tight and hire a fleet of lawyers and accountants. But probably not.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Here you go.....
Attachments
Lottery.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Unk, that's a hoot.

PowerBall is doing a monkey see, monkey do. Jackpot is up to $750M for Saturday's drawing. Can't be outdone ya know.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I didn't win either Jerry. But I'd have to actually buy a ticket to win. ::doh:: I think my odds are about the same either way!

Ken
You and I are on the same page Ken! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”