New computers

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

New computers

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well i finally just absolutely had to replace mine and my wife's laptops and I have had a pounding headache ever since. Mine is just a cheap little HP but the one my wife wanted was a Microsoft Surface Pro. They both run windows 10 with the new Edge Browser. Does ANYONE like Edge? I also was appalled to see that on the Surface Pro Microsoft has you locked in to apps only supplied from their store. Isn't that some kind of monopoly violation? This new stuff is making me crazy.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New computers

Post by treefarmer »

Greg, I feel your pain! When my PC messed up about 3 years ago I bought a new one it had Windows 10, I didn't like it and after messing with it for a week and took it back. My old PC was said to have the "blue screen of death" but we got it running and it lasted up until a month ago. The Geek squad originally suggested I buy a package of CDs that would reload Windows 7 on a new hard drive when my old one final gave up, (something they did not sell). Just a month ago the PC got to doin' things I didn't understand (as if I understand any of it :) ). The Geek bunch put in the new hard drive and loaded my little bag of CDs that I had ordered for $20 and I'm in business with Windows 7.
I'm too old to deal with too much change and that was a way around it. If I had one of the children living with us I could probably get enough help to learn to operate another system. Hang in there bro, you're younger than I am. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I thinking on going the refurb route. The HP Envy I'm typing on now has a busted hinge and has been repaired once. Looking at the Lenovo X or T series laptops. I use an company X260 for work and like the small screen and the solid feel of the machine. The refurbs mostly have windows 10 on them and not much else. Anyone have any experience with refurbs?
steve99f
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

steve99f wrote:I thinking on going the refurb route. The HP Envy I'm typing on now has a busted hinge and has been repaired once. Looking at the Lenovo X or T series laptops. I use an company X260 for work and like the small screen and the solid feel of the machine. The refurbs mostly have windows 10 on them and not much else. Anyone have any experience with refurbs?
Steve one of the reasons that I felt I had to replace my windows Vista laptop was because I needed a new printer and the one I bought wouldn't operate on that old OS . As much as I hate to say it I'm afraid upgrading is a necessity but I don't like the way Microsoft is trying to shut out companies like Google and Mozilla. There are ways around their trickery but my goodness what a headache it is.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Once you go MAC you'll never go back!!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Gunsil wrote:Once you go MAC you'll never go back!!
But you always pay twice as much. Another oligopoly. ::huff::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I had to break down and buy a new laptop. My old one was running XP which Microsoft declared obsolete several years ago. It got so that no one was making an XP-compatible browser and web sites wouldn't talk to me so I finally gave up. The new one is a Dell running Windows 10. It came with both Explorer and Edge browsers. Took a couple of weeks to get Windows 10 configured the way I wanted but I've become used to it. No problems with it or Edge, which is what I use on the PC.

My nephew is a geek and tells me you can configure Windows 10 to mimic 7 or XP, even said he'd come and help me do it. But by the time I found out I had already become adjusted to 10, so never bothered with it. I've even put Edge on my Android phone and use it some, but mostly I use DuckDuckGo on it. I got sick of Chrome on the phone due to all the ads. ::barf:: I quit using Chrome but it's still there - I think Chrome is hardwired/imbedded with Android ::shrug:: but you don't have to use it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Guys - you can install Chrome or Firefox on Windows 10. Internet Explorer 11 is also still installed in Windows 10, you just have to find it down in the applications.

However...

Greg - did you get a Surface Pro with Windows 10 S-Mode? If you did, that's the issue. Windows 10 S-Mode is not the full Windows 10. It is a locked-down version of Windows 10 that is supposed to be easier & safer for non-geeks. That also means it's Nanny-ware - it thinks it knows what you need and it doesn't give a darn what you say you want...

I'm afraid I can't be any help on Windows 10 S-Mode. I have zero experience with it.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I quit using Chrome but it's still there - I think Chrome is hardwired/imbedded with Android ::shrug:: but you don't have to use it.

Google owns chrome and Android. Both are Linux programs. Android is written to fit the cell phones and tablets. I still use Windows Vista. And have a Amazon Kindle Fire 7 inch tablet. wish their is an in expensive way to use it on a larger screen? Looking at buying a Surface Go. I have a blue tooth key board and mouse. or a HP X 360. Not sure about a Chrome Book with M.S. word which is what I use.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

TFL I do have the locked 10-S version. I discovered there is a way to unlock it but you have to get the key from Microsoft. What a pain ,you can't download any app that isn't Microsoft until you do. ::td::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got whatever my son bought and set up. It works when I hit the right keys. ::woot:: ::shrug:: ::super_happy::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Greg - have you checked to see if Explorer is installed on your new computer? I think it is still there in Windows 10. Try opening Cortana and typing in Internet Explorer. I think that will find Explorer and give you the option of opening it.

I use Edge some. To me, it is enough like the old Explorer that it is six of one and half dozen of the other. When I first got a computer with Edge I kept switching between Edge and Explorer, but after a few weeks I completely quit using Explorer. My favorite browser is Chrome. With Adblock installed Chrome works much better than Edge or Explorer, on my computer. I only use Edge when I visit a site that will not allow me to browse with ad blocking software enabled. There are sites, Sports Illustrated being the worst, that are not worth trying to look at with Edge, but work just fine with Chrome.

My computer is running Window 10. No problems. I always leave automatic updates enabled. I would rather let Microsoft install what they think I need than try to sort out what I need. I definitely want the security updates, and none of the other stuff has actually annoyed me, other than taking time to update when I am eager to get to this site.

I hope fixing your wife's Surface is as simple as paying Microsoft for the full operating system, but I have no knowledge about that.
Mel
TwoFlowersLuggage

The root cause of all this nonsense about locking down what can be installed is actually not Microsoft. IMHO the real issue is the never ending flow of new malware, phishing schemes and scams that attack all of us every day. It is a huge, global business that costs almost nothing and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars to the criminals. It also costs the rest of us billions of dollars to try to fight against them. Half of my job has become trying to protect the company from a catastrophic cybersecurity event. Every day I think about what humanity could achieve if we were not spending an increasing amount of our time, money and effort fighting cybercrime. I'm sure those software engineers at Microsoft could find something more interesting to do than trying to figure out how to prevent you from being able to install applications!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’m with gunsil. Go MAC and you won’t go back. The wife and I bought a MacBook Pro laptop and a IMac desktop this year. Amazing machines. Jus plug them in, enter your information on the tutorials and there ya go.

I’ve heard the old canard about how they’re twice expensive too. But by the time you buy your windows machine, get all the programs you want on it, and replace it in half the time I’ll have to replace mine I think it’ll all come out in the wash. I sure wouldn’t want to go back to Microsoft.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Wife and I have spent 3k on Microsoft based laptops in the last ten years(HP,Acer,Lenovo), all have had problems. I type this on my new Chromebook, I don"t need Word anymore and do not run any programs. The Chromebook can run apps through Google Play and will support upcoming Android apps. I have a Google phone and everything syncs up very nicely. This is everything I need, ( Amazon, Pandora, Chrome, Gmail, GoogleDocs, AAPK) and everything is stored in the cloud. For me, I won't go back to Microsoft.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

steve99f wrote:I thinking on going the refurb route. The HP Envy I'm typing on now has a busted hinge and has been repaired once. Looking at the Lenovo X or T series laptops. I use an company X260 for work and like the small screen and the solid feel of the machine. The refurbs mostly have windows 10 on them and not much else. Anyone have any experience with refurbs?
I Have a refurb , Its a power House Gaming Model Though , IT Had its Share of whoa"s Like Most everything Made Today > such as Only Being Loaded With A "DEMO" Version of Windows ten :roll: , Un Anounced To me ! Which i Found out About 6 Months Warrany Later ! :roll: Bought A Authentic Version of Ten And A 3 Year Extended Warranty From HP , Been Terring It up Ever Since , The Unit it self was Complete in its Repair , Exept For a The grounded Type Power Supply Cord , I Had To Supply That .. Awsome Graphics For a Total Of About $ 8oo.oo __ K.C.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Colonel26 wrote:I’m with gunsil. Go MAC and you won’t go back. The wife and I bought a MacBook Pro laptop and a IMac desktop this year. Amazing machines. Jus plug them in, enter your information on the tutorials and there ya go.

I’ve heard the old canard about how they’re twice expensive too. But by the time you buy your windows machine, get all the programs you want on it, and replace it in half the time I’ll have to replace mine I think it’ll all come out in the wash. I sure wouldn’t want to go back to Microsoft.
Yup, and the windows folks need to spend money on antivirus, anti spy ware, and pop-up blockers too. I think it used to cost me 80 bucks a year for Norton Security on my windows machine. MAC has much better security and I don't need to pay annual antivirus fees. I agree that the entry price is higher but the value is better in the long run with MACs.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

$1100 to get in the door. Once you're in, EVERYTHING is proprietary. NO!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Colonel26 wrote:I’m with gunsil. Go MAC and you won’t go back. The wife and I bought a MacBook Pro laptop and a IMac desktop this year. Amazing machines. Jus plug them in, enter your information on the tutorials and there ya go.

Agree w/ both, Apple products are superior in every way. You don’t have to take course to figure out how to use them. You don’t have to download a bunch of crap to set it up. I would recommend an IPad Pro. That’s what I use. I bought a keyboard that connects wirelessly w/ the iPad and it’s just like using a laptop but more portable.
My biggest complaint w/ Apple is the password maze they put you through. It’s especially bad if you have more than one device. If they don’t like a password on one and you change it, they force you to enter it on all devices. That’s real handy when you take your phone to work and can’t remember the password you just entered, now you have to start all over, then you get home and you have to enter the new password on the other devices.
Round and round we go.
I’m just glad that jet airliners don’t opperate this way. Can you imagine a computer crash, enter your password, now enter your login keychain password, now enter your iCloud password, now enter your iTunes password. That’s password isn’t correct, hit I forgot my password, do you want us to text you a code or do you want to enter your security questions? Invalid password, the password must be one you haven’t used in the past year. Uh oh, the plane just crashed. Fatal error.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TwoFlowersLuggage

If you aren't running anti-malware on your Mac you are putting yourself in GRAVE risk. It is simply no longer true that Macs do not get viruses, and they are certainly just as vulnerable as Windows to browser hijacks and other web-based threats.

Here's the guidance I have been giving for nearly 30 years:

1) Determine what you want to do with your computer.
2) Buy the best software tools to do what you have listed in #1.
3) Buy the best hardware to run the software you have listed in #2.

The VAST majority of people do these steps in exactly the reverse order. First they buy a computer, then they buy some software, then they try to use that HW & SW to do whatever they want to do. The result is a computer that doesn't run the software very well, and software that doesn't really do what they need it to do!

Don't buy a Ferrari Spider if the primary requirement for the vehicle is to haul fresh fertilizer from the stockyard...
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Here's the guidance I have been giving for nearly 30 years:

1) Determine what you want to do with your computer.
2) Buy the best software tools to do what you have listed in #1.
3) Buy the best hardware to run the software you have listed in #2.
Some sage advice there, thank-you TFL!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
TwoFlowersLuggage

For *most* people, the answer to #1 is "read email", "search on google", "shop on Amazon & ebay" and "watch youtube videos". You can do that with ANY browser and ANY computer. Heck you can do that with any phone! :lol:
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Started with windows 95 upped to 98 for the digital camera. Had a garage sale puter running Millennium edition, what was that? Still have a laptop with XP. using a Desktop and laptop with Vista. Always had AVG antivirus. And Irfanview photo program.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”