EBay’s Managed Payments From an EBay Buyer’s Perspective

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
kootenay joe

Re: EBay’s Managed Payments From an EBay Buyer’s Perspective

Post by kootenay joe »

Hi Tom. Does this apply to most credit card companies ?
Why does the CC company give you a 2% return for using it to pay PP ?
Can one pay for an ebay item with a CC, not going through PP ? I buy items online(not ebay) with my CC a couple of times per month, no PP involved.
kj
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

bestgear wrote:
TripleF wrote:I will continue to roll as I have and accept Paypal!
Scott - look at one of your active auctions, under payments it says you DO accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover and buyers can use these cards processed through PayPal with the fee paid by the buyer.

If you look at your PayPal payments made to you, you'll notice that some say "Payment Received" and others say "Money Received" designating some buyers use a PayPal balance to pay for an item while others use alternate forms like bank accounts or credit cards.

Basically you DO take credit cards but the impact to you is zero.

Agreed.....I DO TAKE credit cards THROUGH PAYPAL, or I take PAYPAL balance.
If I removed Paypal as a payment option then we get to the original post by Dale.
Ebay is offering paying with a credit card and Paypal has nothing to do with their process....follow? 2 different animals!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

TripleF wrote:....follow?
::not_worthy:: Yes I follow ::not_worthy::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

kootenay joe wrote:Does this apply to most credit card companies?
Yes, certainly here in the States.
kootenay joe wrote:Why does the CC company give you a 2% return for using it to pay PP?
As an incentive to use their card (and hopefully generate revolving credit) they provide a cash-back bonus on all purchase including those made through PP.
kootenay joe wrote:Can one pay for an ebay item with a CC, not going through PP?
Yes, that's what Dale brought to light with eBay's Managed Payments but only if a seller has selected to use that form of accepting payments.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Tom, thanks so much for explaining this to me. I only have one credit card a Visa attached to the CIBC (large Cdn bank) and there is no cash back incentive. I had not heard of this before reading Calvin's post.
kj
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad how money hungry companies are....they coulda just left well enough alone.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Part of it is one of those "stock things". Many companies are great until they go public and then all of a sudden, they have to make more money to meet the "profit expectations" of the investors. Then the company goes down hill from there, always trying to squeeze another penny of profit.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I had a business ethics class where we talked about who should be the highest priority for a business. Is it the employees? Is it the customers? Is it the community? Is it the investors & shareholders? Each may have different goals, yet each needs the business to be successful. There can also be time-factors (long-term vs short-term) and many other factors (technology changes, market changes, competition, etc). It's not an easy question.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I haven't used eBay for knife purchases for years now, since they instituted their "linked accounts" policy in which they wanted me to provide my credit card information so it could be linked to my PayPal account. I think this was more of a PayPal policy but at the time PayPal was the only payment option for eBay buyers. Since my credit card is tied to my checking account, the last thing I needed was to have my bank account that my mortgage was paid out of compromised/hacked. So now I just use eBay to follow what things are selling for.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”