The Demise of a Legend sparks a new Quest

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Demise of a Legend sparks a new Quest

Post by Unk »

That's a cool story on both MG and Old Speckled Hen.

Some pics of my 71 MGB and 59 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe. Both long gone - sold them both around 2001. The partial proceeds of which later help put my kids through college. I also had a 75 MGB....also gone. I have always had a pick-up truck as a daily driver, but liked to buy the little sports cars cheap and fix them up. Cars were a lot more simple to work on back then.

I spent quite a bit of time in the UK on business and am familiar with Old Specked Hen, but around the house I usually keep St. Pauli Girl, Becks, Stella or Grolsch. Stauder and Duvel are also good. I guess I prefer the Dutch / German / Belgium beer. When I travel in Asia, the guys I work with usually drink Tsing Tao (Chinese) and Tiger beer (out of Singapore) - both are good. There aren't many beers I will turn my nose up at.....but I can't do Budweiser. If I am at the lease with my buddies, it is always Miller Lite.
Attachments
MVC-154F.JPG
MVC-155F.JPG
porsche 3.jpg
porsche 4.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I prefer good beer and liquor, but, sad to say, I did and would drink most anything (especially OPs). Many's the time in camp with old friends there were cans of yard beer inhaled, VERY warm and sometimes covered with hair and 'stuff.' (Yard beer is that offal that is offered to guests when back in town, and the good stuff is squirreled away until the guests leave). I have an affliction that is somewhat subdued when massaged with a coupla cans (yes CANS; sorry) of Chelada. When I have not spent all my money on knives, I occasionally enjoy a jug of Jim Beam Black, a better whiskey than most that cost twice as much. Well... not all at once, of course. In my little town of 17K folk, we have two craft breweries, and I pack home a growler of 'Bucking Horse Brown' once in awhile. Years back, I was fond of the 22 oz bottles of Black Dog, brewed in New Ulm, MN (and I visited that grand old brewery). I saved the bottles until they got to be a problem and then gave them to a friend who was doing some home-brewing. I have spent some time with everything you have heard of and I used to be especially fond of Becks, both silver and dark. Grolsch has some cool bottles, but what is one to do with them when they are empty? Never owned an MG. Had a Taurus SHO and a coupla Harleys. Had that SHO buried @160 once and decided that was enough of THAT!.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Cal, Jim Beam Black is good stuff but of the moderately priced bourbons (and even the expensive ones I've had), I'll take Four Roses Yellow Label. Closer to payday, my pick would be Evan Williams. Pretty doggone good for cheap bourbon. JMHO
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I will take the Four Roses under consideration. I have not tried it. I thought Evan Williams quite good on a Wednesday evening, but not so much on Thursday morning. :(
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

We have a small brewery in Nashville making some outstanding brews and I've really took a liking to their dos perros, based on a old German recipe. I really like the Kentucky bourbon barrel brews but at 14 bucks for four they are special occassions only. Bud has a new brew called copper lager that is aged with Jim Beam barrel staves that ain't bad at all. As for sipping whiskey Makers Mark and Wellers is hard to beat ,George Dickel and Genteman Jack is right there too. For a good cheap whiskey Benchmark in it plastic jug is pretty darn tasty. These are just mho ymmv. ::handshake::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”