Anyone else listen to

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
steve99f

Anyone else listen to

Post by steve99f »

John Hiatt?

I just started listening to him in the last couple of weeks. He has been around since the 70's I've found out and hadn't heard of him til very recently. Based out of Nashville, he sings blues based R & R that he writes himself. Many better known artists have covered his songs like "Thing called Love" by Bonnie Raitt. Best known album was Walk On and from that "Cry Love" did get some airplay. I post some Utube links but have forgotten how.

Give him a listen, you won't be disappointed. I still can't believe I missed his work all these years. ::tu::
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anyone else listen to

Post by jerryd6818 »

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Well lets see what happens.[youtube[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ_4fQNFL84 [/youtube]

Well that a first for today. Did something right besides get out of bed. :D
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yeah Steve, I've been listening to him for years. My favorite is "Memphis in the meantime". I also really like John Prine and Robert Earl Keen Jr. They are both a little out of the mainstream too but are superb singer-songwriters with a country bent.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Gene I've picked up Walk On and Here to Stay, a compilation of 2000 to 2012. I'm very pleased with both. What album(s) would you recommend?

I haven't listed to John Prine or Robert Earl Keen but will check them out.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Close Steve, real close.
steve99f wrote:Well lets see what happens.

Well that a first for today. Did something right besides get out of bed. :D
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gene mentioned John Prine. This is my most favorite John Prine song. My family came up through Muhlenberg County in the mid to late 1800s.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Gunsil wrote:Yeah Steve, I've been listening to him for years. My favorite is "Memphis in the meantime". I also really like John Prine and Robert Earl Keen Jr. They are both a little out of the mainstream too but are superb singer-songwriters with a country bent.
Oh... JOHN PRINE. He's the MAN. Want to have fun? listen to him and Iris DeMent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8tTwXv ... 8tTwXv4glY
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

tongueriver wrote:
Gunsil wrote:Yeah Steve, I've been listening to him for years. My favorite is "Memphis in the meantime". I also really like John Prine and Robert Earl Keen Jr. They are both a little out of the mainstream too but are superb singer-songwriters with a country bent.
Oh... JOHN PRINE. He's the MAN. Want to have fun? listen to him and Iris DeMent:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I've long been a fan of his, along with others mentioned, especialy Robert Earl Keen. Generally called "Americana" their music blends country, blues, bluegrass, and rock, all having their roots in America. Most are singer-songwriter types, and many are best known for songs they've written that are covered by other more mainstream artists. Others along the same lines include Billy Joe Shaver, Lyle Lovett, Fred Eaglesmith, Lucinda Williams, Guy Clark, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and the great Townes Van Zandt, among others. I'm fortunate to have a nearby FM radio station that features Americana music several times a week so I can get a heavy dose. ::tu::

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

All wonderful music. Please do not forget to listen to about 125 cuts from Iris Dement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIOPl9RowXk

One of my regrets in life is the time I was too lazy to drive 500 miles to go see her in Missoula, Montana. In the same venue (The Top Hat) in which I had one of the best nights of my life 40 years ago. ::paranoid:: :lol:
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yeah Ken those are all greats. I have sirius radio in my car and they play all these folks on their "outlaw country" channel. I have been lucky to see Robert Earl Keen with Freddie Eaglesmith opening for him in a tiny place that only sat 65 people. Lucky also to have seen John Prine and Iris DeMent at an outdoor concert and they each performed alone and in duet. Lucinds usually plays my area every year or two, she can bring down the house for sure. Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen were roommates in college and although I like some of Lyle's stuff I prefer Mr Keen. The Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson) sang a Robert Earl Keen song one one of their albums which they named after it, "The Road Goes on Forever (and the Party Never Ends)", one of the best modern ballads written. And let's not omit James McMurtry, Choctaw Bingo is a cool song and he writes some great stuff with a social conscience.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

steve99f
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Have Seen John Hiatt in concert a few times thru the year and his music and lyrics are always Great!

This is one of my favorite Hiatt compilations, there isn't a bad song on the entire lp ::tu::
Attachments
BEST OF JOHN HIATT.jpg
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I discovered John Hiatt several years ago while watching a romantic comedy motion picture, the name of which I forget, but Goldie Hawn’s daughter was the female lead. A man she was dating and had gone with him to his apartment, put a plain white CD in the player and the name Johnn Hiatt was clearly visible.

I loved the song that played, so I searched out John Hiatt CD’s. I like just about everything he’s ever recorded.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Here's one of my all time favorite songs of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw5VCDRE0GQ
MITCH

"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

MITCH RAPP wrote:8) Have Seen John Hiatt in concert a few times thru the year and his music and lyrics are always Great!

This is one of my favorite Hiatt compilations, there isn't a bad song on the entire lp ::tu::

Picked that up myself Mitch and agree, they're all top notch songs. Interesting lyrics. I now know why this doesn't get played on commercial radio around here that I know of.
steve99f
thefarside

Post by thefarside »

I am partial to "Perfectly Good Guitar", check it out on youtube.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Gunsil wrote:Yeah Ken those are all greats. I have sirius radio in my car and they play all these folks on their "outlaw country" channel. I have been lucky to see Robert Earl Keen with Freddie Eaglesmith opening for him in a tiny place that only sat 65 people. Lucky also to have seen John Prine and Iris DeMent at an outdoor concert and they each performed alone and in duet. Lucinds usually plays my area every year or two, she can bring down the house for sure. Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen were roommates in college and although I like some of Lyle's stuff I prefer Mr Keen. The Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson) sang a Robert Earl Keen song one one of their albums which they named after it, "The Road Goes on Forever (and the Party Never Ends)", one of the best modern ballads written. And let's not omit James McMurtry, Choctaw Bingo is a cool song and he writes some great stuff with a social conscience.
The threads I find in common among these artists is the sense of humor that comes through in many of their songs, and the ability to tell a story in their lyrics. The first time I heard McMurtrey's Choctaw Bingo I was astounded and amazed. Living in North Texas and having relatives in northeast Oklahoma, southeast Kansas and southwest Missouri, that song (minus the drugs) could easily describe one of my family's reunions. I've been to Lake Texoma, Big Cabin, Muskogee, and Baxter Springs many times. I've seen Lake Eufala, the Indian Smoke Shop at the Big Cabin exit off the Will Rogers Turnpike, the McDonalds built over the turnpike, and the biker bar in Baxter Springs with the Rolling Stone's lips neon sign. I've even shot tracer rounds at night in the pasture at my uncle's farm at a reunion! ::facepalm:: It's too real not to be true! :lol:

I'd post the YouTube video here but some of the lyrics are a little too racy for this site. Those interested can go there and find it themselves - some great music and an interesting story told in the lyrics. Warning - about nine minutes long and some adult content.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

steve99f

Post by steve99f »

thefarside wrote:I am partial to "Perfectly Good Guitar", check it out on youtube.
Thanks farside, its on my list. ::tu::
steve99f
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Gene mentioned John Prine. This is my most favorite John Prine song. My family came up through Muhlenberg County in the mid to late 1800s.

Warning, thread drift!

I was just over in Muhlenberg Co the other day. Soon as I crossed the line that song came into my head.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m reviving this old thread because I just discovered, on YouTube, Guy Glark’s 70th birthday party. It’s not a single video but instead several individual performances by many of Guy’s oldest friends, many of whom are mentioned in posts in this thread, and each performing a different song that Guy wrote (usually introduced with a humorous personal story about Guy). Plus several songs performed by Guy himself. At the time this was filmed, Guy was already battling lymphoma and had recently recovered from a broken leg IIRC.

I’m posting a link to one of the videos. If you want to see and hear more of the concert, set your YouTube settings on autoplay and the rest of them should come up and play automatically. I don’t know how many there are but all I’ve seen so,far are outstanding. (If that doesn’t work just go to YouTube and search for Guy Clark’s 70th Birthday.)

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Here is the Randall Knife- Good song for a knife forum!
https://youtu.be/PPVmU4pQLWM
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”