Snipe software

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
mumblypeg

Snipe software

Post by mumblypeg »

If someone is using snipe software and sets it to bid on an item, does it show as a 'watcher' on the seller's page?
Not important, just curious. ::hmm::
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Snipe software

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

No. Ebay has no idea the snipe is set-up. Ebay sees the snipe program as just *you* logging in and placing a bid. Watcher's are the people that actually click the "Watch" link on the auction. I often click the Watch at the same time I set-up a snipe, because then I can see it on My Ebay page.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

What Suitcase said.

Now and then I'll snipe (Gixen) something I'm watching but usually not. It's easy enough to go into Gixen and click on the item number I have set up and it takes me to that item. I'm very high on Gixen. Probably because it works well and it's FREE.
Attachments
Gixen.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

Gixen is my current choice as well. Copy & Paste the item number, add your max price, and wait for the magic to happen...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

Thanks, I was wondering about how the software works. Whether or not it kept you logged in or in the last second, boom, there it is. I was selling a knife a few weeks ago and it had a lot watchers but few bids. Then it doubled in price in the last 5 seconds. Was just curious about how it works.
Thanks for shining a light on it.
Richard
Richard

TwoFlowersLuggage

The good sniping sites are constantly monitoring the network latency between their servers and ebay. They are also monitoring how long it takes to login and place a bid via the ebay application programming interface (API). They can use this information to continuously adjust how long before the end of the auction they execute your snipe bid. The free version of gixen says they can place your bid at 5 seconds with 99.5% reliability. The paid version claims they can do 3 seconds with 100% reliability, and they also claim "no paid subscriber has ever missed an auction due to gixen malfunction". (I don't know if anyone could actually prove this) Currently, the gixen status says they have over 6500 users with pending snipes, and a total of over 38,000 pending individual snipes.

There was a time when ebay tried to prevent sniping. That (of course) failed. I think now they understand that providing the API to allow partners to integrate with ebay is good for everyone, including ebay.
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

::tu:: ::handshake::
Richard

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”