Rant on Real Estate & Lawyers

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Rant on Real Estate & Lawyers

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

This has nothing to do with anything, other than that I need a place to vent about the idiotic State of California. I'm buying a condo and I have received a never-ending set of ridiculous disclosure documents that we need to sign. Here's a few:

- A warning that we should investigate whether the property is in a "coastal zone" that might affect how we can use property.
- A warning that the property might be in an area where mudslides & wildfires have previously occurred. (Duh - this is California!)
- A warning that the official city boundaries might be different than the unofficial boundaries, and if a specific address is important to me, I should investigate. (don't want to be across the street from where it stops being "Beverly Hills"...)
- A warning that if at some time in the future, they declare the area a "historic district", that might affect how we use the property.
- A warning that the city might actually enforce the zoning laws and that might affect how we use the property.
- A warning that we should investigate whether there is an airport nearby and if we are in the "airport noise zone".
- A warning that wildlife might live in "brush, unimproved areas, canyons and mountains".
- A warning that any blueprints of the property made before the property was built might not be accurate.
- A warning that the value of the property could up or down in the future.
- A warning that existence of a city sewer system does not guarantee that the property's sewer connection to the city system actually works.
- A warning that we should investigate whether the property might have mold damage.
- A warning that we should investigate whether the property might have water damage.
- A warning that we should investigate whether the schools in the neighborhood are acceptable.

That's not all of them, but I'm tired of typing. Now think about this - I have no doubt that every one of these disclosures was created because someone, somewhere sued someone else over that specific line item. We are a stupid, stupid species! ::facepalm::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rant on Real Estate & Lawyers

Post by gsmith7158 »

TFL when I saw the California at the beginning of your post I was expecting a 14 page manifesto ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TwoFlowersLuggage

What really gets me is that none of these say that *this* property has the issue - it is just a warning that we should investigate whether or not the property has that issue. They are nothing but CYA for everyone involved in the deal.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

CA.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

When the Trump wall gets built (hopefully) just wall off California also. All real Americans take the flag and leave. I feel sorry for you.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

TFL are the Dems still considering the CalExit proposition?
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TwoFlowersLuggage

Nah - CalExit was never anything real and failed last year. There was some talk about a relaunch of the idea this last April, but no one is really talking about it. However, there is supposed to be a measure on the Fall ballot to split the state into 3 pieces. That's been talked about for a long time - mostly by the NorCal group that is upset that water is shipped to CenCal & SoCal.

I grew-up on a Central California farm. I understand how important the California agriculture industry is to not only the USA, but the entire world. Here's a few little known facts:

- At over $40 billion, California's ag industry is twice the size of any other state.
- California is the #1 state in dairy products and exports over $1.4 billion in dairy products.
- California is the #1 state in strawberry production and produces over 80% of the strawberries in the US.
- California is the #2 producer of cotton in the USA (behind Texas), and the #1 producer of Pima cotton.

The California economy is the 5th largest GDP in the world. Larger than both France and the UK. There is a bit of "cheating" involved in that calculation because the corporate HQ for Apple, Google, Intel, Oracle, eBay, Disney, Wells Fargo, McKesson, AECom, Tesla, etc are all in California. And don't forget the universities: Stanford, USC, UCLA, Berkely & Cal Tech (including JPL). CalExit would be an interesting experiment.

Actually, I think a much more viable split would be a block that included the 3 West Coast states: Washington, Oregon & California. That gives them all the sea ports with direct access to Asia, as well as including companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing & Nike.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

On the local channels, most commercials are from accident nd disability lawyers with the same message--Hurt in a car wreck? Win big money. I'm sick of it. Part of the reason my county is 100 million something in the hole right now is that all but one member (part owner of a large manufacturing outfit) of the Board of Supervisors is involved in real estate or a lawyer.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: - California is the #1 state in strawberry production and produces over 80% of the strawberries in the US.
Greg certainly knows about that. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: - California is the #1 state in strawberry production and produces over 80% of the strawberries in the US.
Those are but fond memories these days Jerryd. I think I'll leave it that way. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TwoFlowersLuggage

A lot of those strawberries come from just down the road from me: https://castrawberryfestival.org/
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

gsmith7158 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
Those are but fond memories these days Jerryd. I think I'll leave it that way. :D
Strawberries are good for you.What you eat with them does you harm. :)

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Isn't it amazing how a thread can shift from the main topic "Real Estate & Lawyers" to strawberries in the blink of an eye.

"Oh yes, I'm the great derailer."
Derailing is what I have done."

(sung to the tune of "The Great Pretender" 'The Platters(1956)')
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Jerry, That's a good thing, cause l know about strawberries the others not so much. :mrgreen:
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

my wife say's that the rabbits and varmints, 13 stripe ground squirrels are eating her strawberries again this year. I thought that Wisconsin was the dairy land? Thanks to no fault car insurance Michigan has the highest insurance in the country. Those bed-fellows won't do anything about it. and pot holes!
As far as Condos go, we look at a few years ago. And a friend has one on the water with a boat dock. They can put on special assessments about anytime. Raising the association fees. New roof on your building, parking lot repairs and much more. We were told that the association has to vote you in after you buy they have to buy your unit. ::shrug:: Don't put out flowers or leave your garage door open. And some for seniors only do not want even your grand children visiting. Your back yard is common ground so any one can walk past it. That is also why I would not move to a mobile home park. Land lords up your rent with no warning. :x If I was living in commyfornia I would definitely want earth quake insurance.
Just saying!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

bighomer wrote:Jerry, That's a good thing, cause l know about strawberries the others not so much. :mrgreen:
Yessir, you’re right next door to the Portland strawberry festival. They still have that? I always meant to go, just never got down there for it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TwoFlowersLuggage

mrwatch wrote:my wife say's that the rabbits and varmints, 13 stripe ground squirrels are eating her strawberries again this year. I thought that Wisconsin was the dairy land? Thanks to no fault car insurance Michigan has the highest insurance in the country. Those bed-fellows won't do anything about it. and pot holes!
As far as Condos go, we look at a few years ago. And a friend has one on the water with a boat dock. They can put on special assessments about anytime. Raising the association fees. New roof on your building, parking lot repairs and much more. We were told that the association has to vote you in after you buy they have to buy your unit. ::shrug:: Don't put out flowers or leave your garage door open. And some for seniors only do not want even your grand children visiting. Your back yard is common ground so any one can walk past it. That is also why I would not move to a mobile home park. Land lords up your rent with no warning. :x If I was living in commyfornia I would definitely want earth quake insurance.
Just saying!
Trust me, if there was any way to buy a house instead of a condo, we would have done it. Around here, the price of homes is even more insane than the crazy California laws. Actually, my son is going to live in the condo, so he will have to deal with all the silly HOA rules!

Both of my grandparents were California dairymen - California is #1 and Wisconsin is #2: http://www.californiadairypressroom.com ... stry_Facts

California dairies are HUGE - much larger than the typical Wisconsin dairy farm. 1 out of every 5 cows in the USA lives in California. I have a very old friend that runs a dairy his father started. He currently runs over 8,000 cows on his dairy.

Happy cows come from California!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9iiPOaJczE

This is how most California natives think of earthquakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKXL7InZqxY The HOA fees include earthquake insurance.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Suitcase, while I understand why you did what you had to do, I hate the choices you were saddled with. I just despise the concept of Condos and Trailer Parks. You "buy" a unit and then with association fees or lot rental in addition to taxes & insurance, you pay forever. The individual that came up with that scam is a bloody genius. ::disgust:: Then on top of that, you have other people in control of what you can and cannot do with "your" property (is it really yours?). Blew!!

My daughter has an HOA out in Mesa, AZ. It sucks. Some old busy body narked 'em out because their trash cans sat out too long and their garage door was up. It wasn't even their cans or garage. ::disgust::

I know you understand all this. I'm just tacking on to your rant.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Jerry, you are right on the Money Sir! But you forgot to add that the HOA Fees increase almost every year! ::td:: and then they tell you they don't like that Pink Flamingo in your front yard :lol: HOA's are the biggest scams out there, second only to owning a Time Share, which is another Brilliant Idea ::facepalm::
Attachments
HOA Fun.jpg
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: - A warning that wildlife might live in "brush, unimproved areas, canyons and mountains".

- A warning that existence of a city sewer system does not guarantee that the property's sewer connection to the city system actually works.
These are my favorites! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

My brother lives in a fancy old money kind of subdivision with an HOA. I’d sooner take a beating.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TwoFlowersLuggage

I'm betting you guys would soil your drawers if you saw what a house costs in Santa Barbara, CA. The picture below is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath single family home near downtown Santa Barbara. It was built in 1947 and the interior has been completely remodeled by a house flipper. This house is only 700 sq ft (not including the garage). You read that right - *700* sq ft. Anyone want to guess the listing price? I'll give you a hint, it is less than $1 Million and there are only 3 single family houses in Santa Barbara that are listed for less than this home.
18-2093_16_0.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Yeah, home prices are crazy out there TFL. I don't see how people manage it. Come on out here to Georgia and we'll get you a 6 bedroom mansion on ten acres for that.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Colonel26 wrote:
bighomer wrote:Jerry, That's a good thing, cause l know about strawberries the others not so much. :mrgreen:
Yessir, you’re right next door to the Portland strawberry festival. They still have that? I always meant to go, just never got down there for it.
Yeah neighbor Wade they sure do, been going on all my life l reckon, we use to go. When l was a younker strawberries was big business in Portland. I remember the migrant pickers coming through every year at picking time. There was several businesses that put up the berries whether jams, jellies and such. Not much acreage used anymore for berries l don't think. More or less truck farmers now. Strawberries was kinda like tobacco farming I always thought, yore butt was higher than yore head in just about everything you had to do to it. ::uc::
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Why are most of your houses wooden? Why not use massive brick construction?

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”