Not sure what to do with this ebay nitwit

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Not sure what to do with this ebay nitwit

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I've been buying on ebay for over 17 years (joined on 12/10/2000), but this is a new one for me. I won a knife auction on ebay. I paid immediately using PayPal. It has now been 8 days since I paid for the auction, and according to PayPal, the seller hasn't yet "accepted" the payment. The message says: "eBay - (seller email address)@gmail.com (ebay user name) hasn't accepted yet." There is a link where I can cancel my payment. I have messaged this guy twice with no response. I have no communication, no tracking number and no knife.

How long would you wait with zero communication before canceling your payment?

Ebay won't even let me file a dispute because the guy hasn't accepted payment. They just say "contact seller".
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
zzyzzogeton

Re: Not sure what to do with this ebay nitwit

Post by zzyzzogeton »

What's the seller's feedback?

Sometimes noobie sellers fail to set up their paypal account properly and the money hangs in limbo until the seller fixes his f-up on paypal.

I've had 3 or 4 of these over the years. For all except 1 of the times, the sellers eventually fixed themselves and I got my items.

One of the sellers never acknowledged any emails via ebay messaging, nor did he respond directly to an email I sent to the email address paypal send after I paid. After waiting over 3 weeks, I ended up requesting a refund due to non-shipment and I got my money back.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Even so...eight days after the end of an auction is an awfully long time to go with no communication whatsoever. I'm inclined to think the seller isn't all that eager or interested in selling the knife.

~Q~
~Q~
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I'd call ebay. This guy's a dud.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

TFL, you are what i think is called an "early adopter" with 17 yrs of ebaying. I am impressed. Took me much longer to discover ebay with it's knives.
I am surprised you have not already called ebay and discussed options with an 'agent'. I agree with Scott. Call ebay and see if they can help.
Eventually some regular ebay sellers die with items listed and no one to attend to all the online aspects of the deceased's life. Or end up in a hospital unable to communicate for any one of a number of reasons.
Is this a knife you really want ? Is your winning bid reasonably fair for the seller ?
Would you consider posting a link so we can see knife and see if anyone here has had dealings with this person ?
kj
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Why badmouth a guy when you don't know the circumstances? Maybe he's laying in a hospital bed with all kinds of tubes and wires and a doc giving him only an 8% chance of making it?

Unless, of course, you know for sure.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Recently, in another thread, I related my similar bad experience with a seller from Burkburnett TX. Tread lightly my friend. As Steve said, there could be extenuating circumstances but then again..................
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

It's a brand new ebay seller with zero feedback. And, yes, Steve, you are right, I'm judging without any real information - but that's why I asked how long I should wait. I have emailed both through ebay messaging and directly to his paypal email address - no response. This knife is nothing special - a $30 late model used Case. I'm thinking I should just cancel the payment and walk away.

And KJ, I haven't actually been buying knives on ebay for 17 years - I started off buying/selling Lionel toy trains, computer parts and old cameras. Knives are much more recent obsession. I'm a serial collector... :D

I've been online since before there was a world wide web - I was using PCs in 1980 and online bulletin boards in 1983. I am O.C.G. (Original Computer Geek) ::tounge::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
big monk

Post by big monk »

Cancel your payment and forget it -- lots of times these ""newbies"" just don't understand the process -- I had a "newbie" buyer,like your guy with 0 transactions, he bid on a fishing lure I was selling ( several bids ) and won the auction -- never heard from him again ??? __ life moves on :) ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Steve Warden wrote: Maybe he's laying in a hospital bed with all kinds of tubes and wires and a doc giving him only an 8% chance of making it?
That actually happened to me one time but the guy was in fact, already dead. I received a notice from eBay telling me this. So while unlikely, it could happen.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Since he is a newbie seller I would figure he just does not understand Ebay and either have patience or just cancel the transaction. A few weeks ago I was buying a book off Ebay and the seller accepted an offer I made, but still charged me full price due to confusion about the way things worked. He was apologetic and stuck the extra money I paid into the book. My point is just that sometimes honest folks make mistakes.
Mel
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

big monk wrote:Cancel your payment and forget it -- lots of times these ""newbies"" just don't understand the process -- I had a "newbie" buyer,like your guy with 0 transactions, he bid on a fishing lure I was selling ( several bids ) and won the auction -- never heard from him again ??? __ life moves on :) ::tu::
I have had a 'rash' of non-payers on my ebay sales. Almost all are 0 feedback and the others fall into the less than 5 or 6 feedback scores. I have begged eBay to do something about them to no avail. I just file a non-payment and get my final fee back and put them on my blocked bidders/buyers list.
I theorize that they just play around with eBay and could care less about the trouble they cause.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I got one of those " hasn't accepted payment" once. That's what happens when the guys email address isn't the same as what he gave paypal. Paypal can't notify him that he has money so he's probably wondering why the heck you haven't paid him yet. The best thing you can do is keep sending him messages through ebay. You can also click on the sellers ebay handle and then click on "contact". If the seller has anything else for sale you can try contacting him by using the "contact seller " on the other items.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

TripleF wrote:I'd call ebay. This guy's a dud.
Yes I'd say so.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Still no settlement TFL? It's time to cut and run . If he hasn't accepted the payment yet I would cancel it and move on to bigger and better things. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TwoFlowersLuggage

After there was no response to my 3rd email, I canceled the payment last night. Plenty of other knives out there I want to buy!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Good job TFL! We can't let a nitwit get in the way of knife purchases. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”