Movies I've Watched Several Times and Will Watch Again

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Movies I've Watched Several Times and Will Watch Again

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Here's one that is not for everyone - you have to love old, B&W, sub-titled, Japanese samurai movies. But, if you can get into that, this is a GREAT movie. The story is great. The photography is great. The actors are great. The musical score is great.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056058/

harakiri_hara_kiri-609530069-large.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Just based on the still photographs the cinematography looks remarkable. I'll probably watch it tonight.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

One that has become a recent favorite of mine is “Best of Enemies” staring Sam Rockwell. I find myself watching this every time it is on and I happen to see it, just watched a bit this morning while I was doing my PT. It’s a very well done movie about the end of segregation in Atlanta in 1971.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

TFL,Thank you the link to Harakirir. What an experience. It was about as perfect as movie making can get. The photography was wonderful but never got in the way of the story. Some directors make so many fancy camera moves that they become a distraction. The three panning shots in the courtyard were taken from the same angle and each was essentially a repetition of the former. Very neat. The story was compelling from beginning to end.
I suppose many westerners might not appreciate this film unless they have some appreciation for the Japanese aesthetic.

An easily accessible film is The Yakouza, filmed in Japan with tough guy Robert Mitchum. Much emphasis on Japanese culture. Very skillfully directed.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

::tu::

Awesome, I'm very glad you enjoyed it!

A couple of additional films in the same genre are:

Seven Samurai (1954) - one of the most influential films in movie history
Yojimbo (1961) - you might recognize the remake of this story that starred a gunfighter with a steely gaze...
Sanjuro (1962) - sequel to Yojimbo
The Tale of Zatoichi (1962) - There are a large number of Zatoichi films and a TV series. This is the first film.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I know the Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. As you said, the first one is absolutely influential. (See The Magnificent Seven.) Visually impressive would be any of the Kurosawa films. (sp?)
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Being a Rod Steiger fan, I always watch "In The Heat of the Night" when it comes around on TCM. I also like the film because a major portion of it was actually filmed in small town Southern Illinois, rather than Mississippi as portrayed. Supposedly, those making the film, as well as Sidney Poitier, were reluctant to film the movie in a Southern location in 1965 given the subject matter

Sparta, Illinois was chosen in part because their train station was still intact and the town itself could pass for a town in Mississippi.

Here are a couple of pics I took. The train station, where a couple of classic scenes with Gillespie and Tibbs were filmed, is now an art gallery. The bridge is the Mississippi river bridge at nearby Chester, Il going over to Missouri. It was the scene of Chief Gillespie apprehending a suspect who was running for the state line, in the movie he was running from Ms. trying to make Arkansas.
Attachments
20200915_152442.jpg
20200913_154846.jpg
Ike
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Waukonda wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:58 pm Being a Rod Steiger fan, I always watch "In The Heat of the Night" when it comes around on TCM. I also like the film because a major portion of it was actually filmed in small town Southern Illinois, rather than Mississippi as portrayed. Supposedly, those making the film, as well as Sidney Poitier, were reluctant to film the movie in a Southern location in 1965 given the subject matter

Sparta, Illinois was chosen in part because their train station was still intact and the town itself could pass for a town in Mississippi.

Here are a couple of pics I took. The train station, where a couple of classic scenes with Gillespie and Tibbs were filmed, is now an art gallery. The bridge is the Mississippi river bridge at nearby Chester, Il going over to Missouri. It was the scene of Chief Gillespie apprehending a suspect who was running for the state line, in the movie he was running from Ms. trying to make Arkansas.

Ya learn something new everyday
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Ike, In the Heat Of The Night has been on my list of top 5 movies of all time. Steiger and Sidney Poitier were in top form. The info you provided about the location is fascinating. I have seen the film many times and will again.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:06 pm Ike, In the Heat Of The Night has been on my list of top 5 movies of all time. Steiger and Sidney Poitier were in top form. The info you provided about the location is fascinating. I have seen the film many times and will again.
Glad you liked the post, Garry. Most of the other buildings which were seen more than in passing, are gone. The bridge opened in 1942, I would think it will be replaced before too many more years go by. The old depot should be safe.

I remember my dad driving us over for a look at the filming back then. It was kind of a big deal at the time but I think most people just looked at it as a curiosity, no one really went gaga! That it would turn out to be so successful and one of the greats was not an expectation.
Ike
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I'm in the midst of watching 'The Verdict' with Paul Newman. How in the world did he not win an Oscar for his work in this movie? 8) ::shrug::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Not disagreeing Ray, but I thought the best performance was by the always reliable James Mason. Nevertheless, there wasn't a weak performance in the film.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

I had to dig a while to bring this thread back :lol: . I was just looking ahead to see what was coming up the next couple of days and what I may want to record. One of my favorites is on TCM tomorrow night, Bridge on the River Kwai. It is a good movie for many reasons (imo), and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has never seen it.
Ike
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

One of my favorites is "Captains Courageous" (1937) Loaded with stars from the 30's. Lionel Barrymore, Mickey Rooney, Freddie Barthalomew, and the great Spencer Tracy. Tremendous actual schooner racing scenes.
Number 2 is "The Best Years Of Our Lives" (1948). Any returning vet can sure identify with that one.
Merry Christmas to all....J.O'.
MissouriGuerrilla

Post by MissouriGuerrilla »

Ones that come to mind immediately.....

The Searchers
Fort Apache
Chaplin's City Lights
The Jason Bourne series
Tombstone
A Christmas Story
Patton
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi
Several Jerry Lewis movies (Nutty Professor, The Patsy, The Bellboy, Cinderfella, The Ladies Man)
War Horse
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Waukonda wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:58 pm
I have a cousin that lives about 30 miles north of there in a little town called Freeburg.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Ridgegrass, I was thrilled with Captains Courageous when I first saw it as a boy. I doubt we will ever again have such an abundance of stars as were generated in the golden age of movies.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:55 pm
Waukonda wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:58 pm
I have a cousin that lives about 30 miles north of there in a little town called Freeburg.
The diner scenes in Heat of the Night were actually filmed at a diner in Freeburg.
My wife and I go for steak a couple times a year at a small mom n pop spot in Freeburg.
Ike
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

MissouriGuerrilla wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:44 pm Ones that come to mind immediately.....

The Searchers
Fort Apache
Chaplin's City Lights
The Jason Bourne series
Tombstone
A Christmas Story
Patton
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi
Several Jerry Lewis movies (Nutty Professor, The Patsy, The Bellboy, Cinderfella, The Ladies Man)
War Horse

Some good ones on this list.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Bridge on the River Qui got a good mention up above and I watched it for the first time in several years. My senior year (1958) in high school we used the theme music from it in our senior skit. Us seniors all dressed for the part and lined up on 6th street and marched to the school while whistling the tune. We had traffic blocked a long ways back. When we got to school, one of the guys got up on a big brick planter with his Samurai sword and waved it around yelling all will work! All must work!
We thought it was a great day.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Just rewatched Scaramouche with Stewart Granger, Janet Leigh, Elenor Parker. It contains the lengthiest sword fight in movie history between Granger and Mel Ferrer. The final scene was quite funny. While Granger rides off to marry Leigh, his first, and rejected, girl friend walks off with Napoleon Bonapart. But it is the sword fight that is a must see.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Watched a couple over the last week that I hadn't seen in quite a while. " We're no Angels " with Humphrey Bogart and " Donovan's Reef" with John Wayne and Lee Marvin.Both are somewhat Christmas themed.
Roger
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Just watched THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL for the umpteenth time on TCM. The futuristic parts, machinery, digitiization, etc. were really good for the early fifties. It's typically hammy looking today with the stereotyped military bumbling but all in all it's a really good concept and still an interesting lesson. J.O'.

Klatu Berata Nicto !! ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That movie had a great impact on the young minds of the 1950s. It also had a good cast. Klatu Berata Nicto! Today people speak of little green men and reptilian creatures, but we had the elegant Michael Rennie.

"Michael Rennie was ill the day the earth stood still
But he told us where we stand
And Flash Gordon was there in silver underwear
Claude Rains was the invisible man… "
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Support Your Local______________
Smokey and the Bandit
And many more.