Movies I've Watched Several Times and Will Watch Again

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Movies I've Watched Several Times and Will Watch Again

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I have noticed quite a few mentions of Once Upon a Time in The West, I think that is one of the best western movies ever made and the music is SO good. Some westerns I am very fond of and have seen many times:

Lonesome dove
Pale rider
Outlaw josey wales
High plains drifter
The good, the bad and the ugly
Fistful of dollars
For a few dollars more
Tombstone

A few other favorites:

Planet terror
Bullitt
The getaway
Death wish
Full metal jacket
The great escape
Star Wars 4, 5 and 6
Army of darkness and evil dead 2
Alien and aliens
The blues brothers
X men trilogy
Kung pow (the most ridiculous movie I have ever seen)
Band of brothers
The boondock saints
The book of eli
Goldeneye
Mad max fury road
John wick 1 and 2
Deadpool 1 and 2

There is a Bruce Willis movie called last man standing where he is a gunslinger in the depression era, it has a similar plot as fistful of dollars. It has TONS of 1911 pistol action and sends people flying many feet under the weight of their barrage, it's a very fun movie to watch.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

The Road to Perdition with Hanks, Newman, Jude law, Stanley Tucci. A 30's gangster movie with a father and son angle. Hanks plays a hit man with a family.
steve99f
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The opening scenes in Once Upon A Time In The West with Jack Elam, the fly and the .45 Colt is a Classic. However, had I been the director, I'd have had Jack shoot the fly while it was trapped within the barrel of the revolver.

Road To Perdition was a great movie.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Silverado. ::tu::watching it now.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

postby steve99f » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:08 am

The Road to Perdition with Hanks. A night scene was filmed at a old motel up the street from me. wondered why the sheriff was blocking the road. I heard that it hit the cutting room floor? Tom Hanks showed up at the local theater and a lady said a country scene was filmed by her house. The scene with the beach house near the end was built "with special permission" and filmed by Grand Haven on Lake Michigan, and then taken down and all was donated to Habitat for Humanity. ::tu:: Bob
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

That's an interesting tidbit to know about the movie Bob, thanks.
steve99f
Delmar Morgan

Post by Delmar Morgan »

The Mountain Men , with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith. ::tu:: Jerimiah Johnson
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Delmar Morgan wrote:The Mountain Men , with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith. ::tu::
I just watched it again this week. It is a fine movie....

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Delmar Morgan wrote:The Mountain Men , with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith. ::tu:: Jerimiah Johnson
The Mountain Men is a good one. And Jeremiah Johnson has one if my all-time favorite movie scenes - "Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll fetch you another one!" :lol: For years where I worked whenever the boss gave us a tough job to do that's what we would say. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Guns Of the Old West Magazine this month has a cover story about the movie "The Magnificent Seven" and how it is turning 60 years old. Still one of my favorites and I was recently able to pick up the DVD at the fleamarket for $2. One that I will surely be watching again. The article mentions how the movie is set in the time period right after the Civil War, about 1870s or so and yet one of the characters is using a Colt SAA Bisley revolver, Winchester 1892 rifles, as well as fast draw holster designs that hadn't even been thought of at that time. So much for Hollywood dramatic license. They figured the public wouldn't be smart enough to notice.
IMG_3211.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I just watched The Last Samurai for the umpteenth time. I know Tom Cruise catches a lot of flack about his roles but I enjoy this movie every time.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Last Train From Gun Hill. Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn fill the screen.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 am Guns Of the Old West Magazine this month has a cover story about the movie "The Magnificent Seven" and how it is turning 60 years old. Still one of my favorites and I was recently able to pick up the DVD at the fleamarket for $2. One that I will surely be watching again. The article mentions how the movie is set in the time period right after the Civil War, about 1870s or so and yet one of the characters is using a Colt SAA Bisley revolver, Winchester 1892 rifles, as well as fast draw holster designs that hadn't even been thought of at that time. So much for Hollywood dramatic license. They figured the public wouldn't be smart enough to notice.
IMG_3211.JPG
I have the DVD. Fantastic movie. The opening theme song is my ringtone ::super_happy::
Also just picked up the magazine. Haven't had a chance to read it yet - looking forward to it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....any movie with JOHN WAYNE!!!!!.................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .....................
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Princess Bride
Rear Window
North by Northwest
To Kill A Mockingbird
Papillon
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

There are a lot of good judges on the forum, most of the movies mentioned i have watched more than once, some many times and never tire of them. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I guess my tastes are a bit different. One that is top of the list is Christmas Story about Ralphy Parker and his scheme to get a BB gun for Christmas.
Uncle Buck, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Napoleon Dynamite.
True Grit, but not w/ John Wayne the new one with Jeff Bridges is an incredible remake that I like so much better.
Edge of Tomorrow w/ Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt
Hoosiers w/ Gene Hackman, the movie was filmed near here and I have been in that gym in the movie.
There Will be Blood.
Raising Arizona
Fargo
Hurt Locker
The Missing
I Love you to Death
While You Were Sleeping.
Ferris Buellers Day Off.
Airplane, Naked Gun 33 1/3, Hot Shots
Christmas Carol w/ Alastair Sim
Groundhog Day, Moonrise Kingdom, Pink Panther
Odd list I know but I like all these movies and will watch them whenever they are on.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, that is a very eclectic list and there are many I would enjoy seeing again e.g. Fargo, Raising Arizona etc. etc. Was especially glad to see your choice of Alistair Sims Christmas Carol. Have not seen it in decades. I watch Christmas Story annually.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

The Alistair Sim version is as close to Dicken’s book as it gets and they don’t water down the real meaning of the story. Which is that Scrooge was a materialist in the purest sense of the word. He didn’t believe in anything his senses could not verify, he only believed in the material world and not the spiritual. That’s why it takes so much to convince him of his fate if he doesn’t change. The word “humbug” is misused today. In the movie and Dicken’s book it means “fake, fraud, a phony”. When he says Christmas is a humbug he means the whole thing is a fake, never happened. His lifestyle is the logical outcome of someone who does not believe in the spiritual world, all for me and none for thee. It’s really a very powerful story.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:11 pm The Alistair Sim version is as close to Dicken’s book as it gets and they don’t water down the real meaning of the story. Which is that Scrooge was a materialist in the purest sense of the word. He didn’t believe in anything his senses could not verify, he only believed in the material world and not the spiritual. That’s why it takes so much to convince him of his fate if he doesn’t change. The word “humbug” is misused today. In the movie and Dicken’s book it means “fake, fraud, a phony”. When he says Christmas is a humbug he means the whole thing is a fake, never happened. His lifestyle is the logical outcome of someone who does not believe in the spiritual world, all for me and none for thee. It’s really a very powerful story.
In December I usually watch as many versions of the Christmas Carol as I can. The 1951 version is very good as you mention. Also the 1970 musical version with Albert Finney, the 1999 version with Patrick Stewart, 1984 version with George C. Scott, and a couple of versions that you dont see much, one with Kelsey Grammar as scrooge, and another modernized one with Henry Winkler. These can be usually found on Youtube. There is also a very old version from about 1936 which I have seen once. It is difficult to watch as the picture is very dark and blurry on Youtube. Also there are animated versions of the Christmas Carol, with my favorite one being the one where Scrooge is played by Mr. Magoo.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

With the virus shutting down all the sports, I had to rummage thru my pile of western DVDs to find something to watch. Watched "Crossfire Trail" last night. It does not get any better than Tom Selleck, with a Gus cowboy hat, A Smith & Wesson top break, and a Winchester Centennial model. I picked up the 3 movie set last summer at a garage sale for $3. I can sit there with the Blue Ray player going thru the surround sound with a margarita in hand and say "virus, what virus?"
IMG_3516.JPG
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

How about Grumpy Old Men! Loved that movie. Numer 2 was pretty good too. But the first one was the best! :)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I rewatch a lot of oldies every time they’re on television, like The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca for example. To me those are some all-time classics. Some of the ones from the more recent past I enjoy re-watching include Ferris Buehler’s Day Off, American Graffiti, Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, and Pirates of the Carribean. Never tire of Tombstone either. One of the best Westerns ever IMHO and closer to actual events than any other re-telling of that story.

If you can find it, The Good Old Boys with Tommy Lee Jones, Sissy Spacek, Francis McDormand and Sam Shepard (plus a very young Matt Damon) is excellent. It was a made-for-television movie so it’s a little hard to find a DVD but I found it on-line for free here https://archive.org/details/TheGoodOldBoys1995. ::tu:: (Warning - almost 2 hours long. Took a couple minutes to download but my internet is slow.).

Ken
Attachments
6A81C879-7909-4C3D-BE6D-F3E8BDE8D49A.jpeg
6A81C879-7909-4C3D-BE6D-F3E8BDE8D49A.jpeg (41.74 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mr. Roberts, Roaring Twenties, White Heat and most any other movie with James Cagney.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I just finished Red River with John Wayne....again.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”