Hunting with airguns UK

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
MrGrumpy

Hunting with airguns UK

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well Gents i just thought i would share some pictures of my air rifle hunting exploits
I hunt in the English lake district using UK legal airguns legal meaning power below 12ft bs or about 800fps in .177
I have owned up to .270 remington 700 but our laws are super restrictive so i stick to air now although they are trying to license those !!
It seems im stuck with this unless any of you want to adopt a imey or have a spare daughter i could marry ::tu::
It would be great to see any pics from any american airgunners
enjoy the pics and feel free to ask questions
Attachments
x3 010 (Copy).JPG
beard2 040 (Copy).JPG
beard2 036 (Copy).JPG
pigon 025 (Copy).JPG
MrGrumpy

Re: Hunting with airguns UK

Post by MrGrumpy »

Not forgetting this gem from the USA I hate to admit it but you guys got hod of Theoben and made it better !!!!
best engineered rifle i have ever fired
Just to clarify range is limited to 50 yards although 60 yards is possible in perfect conditions
the next set up is a high power firearms rated FX impact with a pulsar thermal scope
thats how i spent Christmas eve ::tu::
Attachments
bullpup 026 (Copy).JPG
IMG_2691.jpg
IMG_2691.jpg (41.32 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks like you are getting the job done without the gun powder. That's a bunch of bunnies there!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

Thanks and yes air does the job , its also a lot safer and quieter than powder
One of the things that put me of firearms was losing about 60 percent hearing in one ear due to a maori chap in NZ with scant disregard for the proximity of my head to the muzzle of his 308 but thats another story
One big advantage of using a relatively low powered but extremely accurate rife is that it is an excellent way of honing ones shooting skills
There are however only so many ways to cook rabbit ::hmm::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

MrGrumpy,
That's a pile of rabbits to clean!
Several years ago there was an article in the American Rifleman about the air gun used on the Lewis and Clark expedition in the early 1800s here in America. Seems like the air gun mentioned would shoot several time on one charge of air. I'll have to look that up.
The media in our country has not realized how dangerous an air rifle, especially one that looks like a military rifle, can be. The danger is obvious, as you have had such a mass execution of so many rabbits! ::poke:: :)
What has been the largest animal you have taken with an air gun?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

are those co 2 powered? or rechargeable like the paint ball guns? I have vintage Benjamin 17 pump action but it needs some work. They are collectible here in the states.
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

Tech spec first
all the guns shown are pre charged pneumatics running on compressed air and generally filled from diving bottles
and vintage American airguns are big with collectors over here
As for hunting it is generally frowned upon to take anything bigger than a rabbit with an airgun
the only predator i have shot with an air gun is mink that the animal rights geniuses released a few decades ago
I have aso culled North American Ruddy ducks that cause problems over here by hybridising with our native mallards
I am familiar with the airguns used in both America and Australia on early expeditions they had a reservoir in the stock and charged with an inbuilt pump genius and way ahead of its time
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Am I correct that one of the reasons your airguns are so quiet is your low (subsonic) muzzle velocity? US airguns that shoot 1200+ fps still have quite a crack.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
claywall

Post by claywall »

Grumps, that's quite an arsenal you have there; all high end stuff. Do you have problems with the North American gray squirrel? I understand it is over running parts of the UK. Glad you have an outlet for your hunting urge. I think I would go crazy if our powder burner gun rights were taken away, but I do enjoy my air rifles, too. I have a BSA R10 made in England, and I LOVE that piece of art!
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Am I correct that one of the reasons your airguns are so quiet is your low (subsonic) muzzle velocity? US airguns that shoot 1200+ fps still have quite a crack.
thats the main reason as its subsonic we also have no restrictions on suppressors my guns are fitted with Hugget integrated shroud suppressor systems
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

claywall wrote:Grumps, that's quite an arsenal you have there; all high end stuff. Do you have problems with the North American gray squirrel? I understand it is over running parts of the UK. Glad you have an outlet for your hunting urge. I think I would go crazy if our powder burner gun rights were taken away, but I do enjoy my air rifles, too. I have a BSA R10 made in England, and I LOVE that piece of art!
Thanks
they are not a mine just the FX verminator and the Daystate air ranger the rest are guys i guide for now and then
your grey squirrels are a nightmare although very very good eating ::tu::
We have native red squirrels in my area and full time rangers to hunt greys i hep out when i can
the R10 is a great rifle maybe my next purchase
claywall

Post by claywall »

Interesting, Mr. Grumpy. When I grow up, I want a job where I'm paid to shoot squirrels! I, too, eat the "limb pork" as we sometimes call them over here. The gray squirrels (known locally in East Texas as "cat" squirrels) are slowly pushing out the larger fox squirrels. Aggressive little buggers!
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

claywall wrote:Interesting, Mr. Grumpy. When I grow up, I want a job where I'm paid to shoot squirrels! I, too, eat the "limb pork" as we sometimes call them over here. The gray squirrels (known locally in East Texas as "cat" squirrels) are slowly pushing out the larger fox squirrels. Aggressive little buggers!
Limb pork i will be dropping that at the next BBQ and sounding cool ::tu::
Dont grow up its over rated tried it didn't like it got the he outta Dodge !!
these are our Squirrel rangers
http://www.penrithredsquirrels.org.uk/
claywall

Post by claywall »

I guess it could be likened to "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". Thanks for the article. Good hunting!
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

Hope you know how to cook rabbit! If you do they can be good eating.
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

sam eib wrote:Hope you know how to cook rabbit! If you do they can be good eating.
Ohhh I know a few ways to cook rabbit :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rT5fYMfEUc
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Unless a grey squirrel is a young one, I find them too tough to enjoy as fried food. We like to make squirrel dumplings with them. Choose a good Chicken and Dumpling recipe from Pinterest.com, but substitute boned squirrel as the meat.

I'm impressed by the accuracy of your rifles and your marksmanship. I have a .177 Ruger single pump,(not sure who actually made it), that I use to thin the chipmunk herd in my yard. I wish I could lay that many out in a line some time. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I have a Benjamin XL-1500, nitrogen piston .177 - fires the pellet at 1500 fps (I have not chronographed it). I have only used it to deal with feral pests within the city limits (not a firearm). I am amazed at the accuracy and power of this air-rifle - it will drive the pellet 3/4" into a treated yellow pine board and drive front to back through a varmint. Has more report than I would like, almost sounds like a 22LR. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Unless a grey squirrel is a young one, I find them too tough to enjoy as fried food. We like to make squirrel dumplings with them. Choose a good Chicken and Dumpling recipe from Pinterest.com, but substitute boned squirrel as the meat.

I'm impressed by the accuracy of your rifles and your marksmanship. I have a .177 Ruger single pump,(not sure who actually made it), that I use to thin the chipmunk herd in my yard. I wish I could lay that many out in a line some time. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
I will definitely try that one next time i get a few greys ::tu::
thanks for the compliment these PCPs certainty do the job i just wish our ega power limits where a little higher but thats the UK for you
not seen the ruger you mention i sha have to google it
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

Old Hunter wrote:I have a Benjamin XL-1500, nitrogen piston .177 - fires the pellet at 1500 fps (I have not chronographed it). I have only used it to deal with feral pests within the city limits (not a firearm). I am amazed at the accuracy and power of this air-rifle - it will drive the pellet 3/4" into a treated yellow pine board and drive front to back through a varmint. Has more report than I would like, almost sounds like a 22LR. OH
Nice guns those nitro pistons i would figure 1500 fps at about 19 ftbs so you may just be breaking the sound barrier
can you fit suppressors in your state i find your state aws confusing
We finally have a sunny evening so i think i wi grab an air rife and head out
freezer is getting a bit empty ::hmm::
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I'm sorry. Getting old is not for the aged, it seems. ::facepalm::

I do not own a Ruger. I did look closely at a Ruger at the time, but I actually bought, own and shoot a Stoeger Model X10 with synthetic stock and 4x32 scope.

From their website:

https://usa.stoegerairguns.com/x10-air-rifle

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I'm sorry. Getting old is not for the aged, it seems. ::facepalm::

I do not own a Ruger. I did look closely at a Ruger at the time, but I actually bought, own and shoot a Stoeger Model X10 with synthetic stock and 4x32 scope.

From their website:

https://usa.stoegerairguns.com/x10-air-rifle

Charlie Noyes
They are a rather good rife . I have just stripped polished the internals and relubed one of theose for my mates son
the trigger mech definitely benefits from a polish and de bur ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”