Murphys Law

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Murphys Law

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Most people know the basic phrase that has become known as Murphys Law: Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, everything will always take longer than expected, and if anything can go wrong it will go wrong. I can add another line to this adage, and it will go wrong at the most INOPPORTUNE TIME POSSIBLE! Take this morning. I was attempting to photograph a knife to post a picture on AAPK. Taking a picture of a knife is one of the most artificial things there is. There is never another time when one would ever have more than one blade open on a knife at once. And we all like knives with good "snap" too. When photographing a knife it is sometimes difficult to get the blades to stay partially open and not snap shut. So as I was handling this EZ open jack to take some pics, I had the smaller pen blade open, the one with good "snap", and was opening the master spear blade when the pen suddenly "snapped" shut like a bear trap. The tip of the blade raked across my right middle finger tip and the blood started flowing. I got to the bathroom and was getting a bandaid on it when the DOOR BELL RANG. As luck would have it, the FEDEX man was delivering a package to me that required a signature!! I had the bandaid on the finger, but it was doing almost nothing to control the bleeding. As I took the pen to sign on the electronic capture device, the blood was dripping from the bandaid and my finger onto the screen of his device. I have not gotten a look like that from anyone in a very long time. I had paper towel in my pocket and mopped up the blood from his screen and off he went. I wrapped some gauze around the finger and because the knife was very sharp, the cut was very clean and the two sides will go back together almost immediately. But for the timing of things to happen that way would require timing similar to an asteroid hitting the earth.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Murphys Law

Post by gsmith7158 »

Olde Cutler you must learn that the first and most important step after a cut is to get a picture of it so you can post it in the Official Cut myself thread! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Murphy's Law and its derivatives. https://www.maths.nottingham.ac.uk/pers ... /some.html

My favorite, and it isn't on the posted list: The chance of an event happening as planned is inversely proportional to the amount of effort spent planning it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

>Any instrument when dropped will roll into the least accessible corner.

This is close to my favorite: "Any tool dropped while working on a car will land under the car in the exact center."
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I subscribe to Parkinson's theorem. Parkinson said Murphy was an optimist. (Not on your list, Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:>Any instrument when dropped will roll into the least accessible corner.

This is close to my favorite: "Any tool dropped while working on a car will land under the car in the exact center."
I like those. ::tu:: But they're rudimentary. The refined version would add to both statements "after it hits you on the toe"!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

gsmith7158 wrote:Olde Cutler you must learn that the first and most important step after a cut is to get a picture of it so you can post it in the Official Cut myself thread! :D
Let me get this straight. You want me to post a picture of the MIDDLE finger on my right hand that got cut??? LOL
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Olde Cutler you must learn that the first and most important step after a cut is to get a picture of it so you can post it in the Official Cut myself thread! :D
Let me get this straight. You want me to post a picture of the MIDDLE finger on my right hand that got cut??? LOL
Absolutely! As strange as it might sound, it is a tradition here.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ad#p623585
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here's another one viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21319&hilit=Emergency. Maybe not quite as bloody but there's some bad ones.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

See picture under Official Cut Myself Thread. Bleeding has now stopped.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

"Nothing is impossible for the person who does not have to do themselves"

"If you can't figure it out, look for the buck"
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

The heck with Murphy, did Fedex deliver you get another knife? :D My wife is waiting for me to really do damage to myself with these knives. I've gotten in the habit of taking a couple of bandaids when visiting the doctor, they get the best.
steve99f

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”