Facial Hair

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jmh58

Facial Hair

Post by jmh58 »

I noticed while looking thru the "what do yall look like" thread that we knifers favor our facial hair.. Soo.. Whats your story???
I grew my stach as soon as hair formed on my face (17yrs) and have never shaved it off.. EVER.. ::super_happy:: (60yrs) John :D
DSC02055.JPG
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Facial Hair

Post by royal0014 »

I've pretty much had a mustache since I was a teen.
After 25 years of beggin' from my wife, I grew out a beard starting Dec of 2016.
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Had a stash on and off throughout my enlistment, depending on the command where I was stationed. Clean shaven for some of the time since then, full beard for part of the time and mustache for most of the time.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Nope - Although I am generally as hairy as a chimpanzee, I have what my farmer Dad would call "Alkali Spots" in my facial hair where hardly any hair will grow. I am also significantly "folicly-challenged" from the ears up...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Mine is like a football field......11 on each side ::shrug:: none for me.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I started with a mustache in the mid 70's and soon progressed to a full, trimmed beard. It used to be dark now it's white.
A funny tale about my beard: Sometime in the early 80's our maintenance crew was required to complete an Asbestos Abatement School. During the course we were to be fitted with a full face mask respirator and were told we had to be clean shaven to be properly fitted, etc... Well I shaved it off, they didn't follow through with that part of the school and I haven't been without it since. To remain certified in the asbestos removal mess, we had to do a refresher class every year, same old instructions and I continued to ignore the clean shaven part.
Here's how it looked 16 years ago and still basically the same:
old hunting pics 002.jpg
Treefarmer
An additional fact, a beard is a good place to put 'skeeter repellant and also a dab of buck lure!

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I had a mustache from age 15 till age 30. Really disappointed my wife when I shaved it.
The past couple of years I've grown a beard during the winter. Don't really have a reason other than it seems to make some people uncomfortable.
Is this what it's like to become a surly old goat?
Photo on 2-18-18 at 3.28 PM.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

John the timing of your post is interesting. Inspired by all the facial hair around here I began growing a beard about three weeks ago. Not too impressive I must say. I'll let it grow another couple of weeks and give it a chance to prove itself. But from what I've seen so far it probably won't become permanent.
Attachments
P1020267.JPG
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Last day in command - AUG 1984.jpg
Started growing my moustache the day after graduation from OCS (AUG 1975), wore it steady from then until 1993. Grew it back in 2005 and it's been coming and going ever since. These two pictures show it in different color phases! 1984 & last week. OH
Attachments
Fishing the pond 2-15-2018.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

No beards in the Air Force. I was 18 when I joined in '80, no facial hair. Grew a mustache in '81 when I got to Wright-Patt AFB, Ohio, my first assignment. Had it almost ever since. I say almost because every year and a half, two years I'd shave it off. Sometimes I'd start letting it grow back next day, sometimes after a week or so. Usually never more than two weeks.

Retired in 2000 and tried a beard. I never got the knack for keeping an even line on the neck and cheeks. Shaved it down to a goatee. That only lasted a few months; didn't like the look.

Around '08 I let the mustache grow out into a handlebar 'stache. Great thing is my wife likes it!
20170828_144654.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is a great mustache. Think you could be perfectly cast as a British Regimental Sgt. Major.
gypsy jim

Post by gypsy jim »

I had a beard and mustache for years then I got throat cancer in 2010 and the radiation killed most of the beard. (note: Not bitching because the guys at Johns Hopkins kept me above ground.) Now just the stash and a tad of a goatee, all gray. Dog in the pic is the neighbor's.
Attachments
DSCN1444.JPG
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Quick Steel wrote:That is a great mustache. Think you could be perfectly cast as a British Regimental Sgt. Major.
Thank you. :D
And I can pull off a pretty good Brit accent, if I do say so myself.
Had a flight crew fooled for three days before I let on.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I shaved off my mustache and ten years of age, seventeen years ago.

Still miss it.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I've had a moustache since I was old enough to grow one. Once I made it through Basic, I grew one (to USAF regs, of course), and have never shaved it off, not even once, in around 30 years. I grew a thin beard once. Everyone liked it, except for the wife, who wouldn't come near me as long as I had it. I eventually gave in and shaved it off... :|
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Started with a goatee in college and then had a 'stache off and on over the years. In the late 1960s, the company I worked for turned thumbs down on it. In the 1970s I grew it back after I made a deal with management and it has never come off since.
There were times when I had a full beard but hot summers here put a limitation on that.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
RobesonsRme.com

Found a picture of me with a mustache

The mixed breed dog's name was Cassie. She died in 1992. She's the reason we own a West Highland Terrier today.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
cassie.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

Paladin without a mustache is just not Paladin.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”