Any Car Guys Here?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
gypsy jim

Any Car Guys Here?

Post by gypsy jim »

And I certainly don't want to exclude girls. I'm a newbie here and besides a few knives I also have a 1967 Camaro convertible. RS/SS, 350/295, 4 speed, ps, front discs, AM/FM, pwr. top, fold down rear seat. She needs a refresh (paint, top, interior) but it's not in the budget right now. Mechanically she's OK but some upgrades are in order. Not going for the 100 point car. So show me your cars. Thanks!
Attachments
new car 008.jpg
new car 017.jpg
motor 1.JPG
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Any Car Guys Here?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I love classic cars - but I have neither the time nor the money to own one! It is amazing to me how popular the cars of my youth have become - especially the convertibles. I practically gave away a 1969 Buick GS350 (hardtop) that had belonged to my sister and was handed down to me in the late 1970s. I beat the heck out of it and then sold it for $600 in around 1980. I wish I had it now! The same goes for my brother's 1971 GMC Sprint. After he was done with it, we used it as a farm truck for a few years and then sold it for less than $1000 at around the same time.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I have a 1969 gmc. Sold it yesterday.
Attachments
20171206_172145.jpg
20171208_161322.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Nice!!

My first car was a '67 LeMans, the poor man's version of the GTO.
Corvette Red lacquer with the black top. Vinyl was gone so just painted it black. Set off with Crager SS mags.
Sold it when I got orders for Germany.

Man, I miss the chrome and rumble of the muscle cars!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC01442.JPG
DSC01495.JPG
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

My son has a very specialized auto detailing business for exotic imports. To bad I can't share most of the pictures he has sent me. The Mercedes 300Sl gull wing coupe is killer. I did see it in person. As for my first car, a 1953 Buick Special 4 door straight 8 stick. The rods knocked and you could watch the street go by under your feet. other wise I drove my moms 1955 Caddy with a Eldorado engine with 2 4BBls. or dual quads out of the factory.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

A man I know traded in his Chevy Volt for a new Bolt. Totally electric. He let me drive it in the low range. Took a little to judge when to let off the gas so it would stop even with the stop signs. never touch the brakes!
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: This is my new ride a'17 Ram Bighorn. However the driver is an old classic, needs body work, engine overhaul and a paint job!
PicsArt_11-16-08.07.52.jpg
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.........I've got a '56 t'bird for sale!!....too old to get in and out of it anymore!!........... ::facepalm:: ..................
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

carrmillus wrote:.........I've got a '56 t'bird for sale!!....too old to get in and out of it anymore!!........... ::facepalm:: ..................
WOW!! You selling the Bird?? Trade some CAMILLUS knives for it?? :D
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

tjmurphy wrote:
carrmillus wrote:.........I've got a '56 t'bird for sale!!....too old to get in and out of it anymore!!........... ::facepalm:: ..................
WOW!! You selling the Bird?? Trade some CAMILLUS knives for it?? :D
...t.j., have you got $35,000.00 worth of Camillus knives???......... ::tu:: ...............
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I'd love to have that 'Bird!
My 1st car was a 1947 Chrysler business coupe. No back seat but an extra large trunk, or turtle as we called them back then. I could sneak a lot of boys into the drive-in theater in that thing. It would also tote several coonhounds with no problem. Had a 'fluid drive' transmission. Horribly slow on the take off but pretty good on the top end. I traded it for a 1937 Desoto and $50 cash, junked the Desoto out and bought a 1951 Ford. The rest is history as they say! :) 8) :roll:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Paladin wrote:I'd love to have that 'Bird!
My 1st car was a 1947 Chrysler business coupe. No back seat but an extra large trunk, or turtle as we called them back then. I could sneak a lot of boys into the drive-in theater in that thing. It would also tote several coonhounds with no problem. Had a 'fluid drive' transmission. Horribly slow on the take off but pretty good on the top end. I traded it for a 1937 Desoto and $50 cash, junked the Desoto out and bought a 1951 Ford. The rest is history as they say! :) 8) :roll:

Ray
.....I hate to get rid of it, ray, but the time has come!!..I'm too old to keep it up, and scared to drive it anymore!!...... ::td:: ............
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I think you're short-selling the T-Bird at $35,000. You are probably looking at double that.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
gypsy jim

Post by gypsy jim »

I love baby birds. I can sympathize about getting in and out. My car is low to the ground also and at 63 years old it matters so I put a tilt column in a couple years ago. It helped a little. Funny thing is my only son, 20 years old, could care less about that Camaro and was embarrased when I picked him up in high school. It requires shifting, no ammenities, navigation, it stinks, no cup holder, it's old. ::td::
Brian Battaglia

Post by Brian Battaglia »

Had this one for 30 years..1967 Mercury Cougar, first year of production and motor trend car of the year :)
Attachments
Cougar 1.jpg
cougar mtr.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I can sympathize with the difficulty of getting in and out of a car.My 1994 Firebird I bought new hasn't been on the road in several years for that very reason.Even my wife's 2009 Pontiac G3 is difficult. I really prefer driving my 1955 Pontiac wagon as it is a dream to get in and out of. I sold my 1957 Pontiac last spring to finance a roof for the house.My wife owns a very nice 1972 Thunderbird but hasn't driven it in about 12 years. Need to get it out and sell it.
I've always liked having something just a little different when it comes to cars and have had many over the years.Here are a few pics of them.
1994 Firebird
2009 Pontiac G3
1955 Pontiac Safari
!957 Pontiac Safari on trailer saying goodbye.
1972 Thunderbird(70,000 mi Arizona car)
Others I have owned over the years.
1978 Mercury Bobcat w/ a 302 V-8
1977 Pinto Cruisin' Van(actually I had 3 of these)
1991 GMC Syclone pickup(one of the fastest cars I've ever owned)
1982 Mustang GT my first new car. My son got it back from the guy I sold it to and is currently restoring it.
1954 Chevrolet custom(chopped top Olds powered circa 1974
Attachments
1994PontiacTransAm25thAnniversary 002.jpg
2009PontiacG3.jpg
Safari4-18-2016Pictures 004.jpg
!957PontiacSafariGoodbye 008.jpg
1972TBird2.jpg
!978MercuryBobcatV-8-1.jpg
1978FordPintoCruisinVanFront.jpg
1991GMC SycloneNo60.jpg
1982MustangGT 1.jpg
1954ChevroletFront.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Page two:
My 1964 Austin Mini Cooper wagon with highly modified 1340 cc motor.Would do around 110 mph.
My 1960 Chevrolet sedan delivery;my first wagon.
My 1968 Chevelle SS with a blueprinted 365 hp 327 engine and custom paint done when car was new by a good friend.
My wife's 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Special Edition.
What my Mustang looks like today.
Attachments
1964MiniCooperEstate2.jpg
1960ChevroletSedanDeliveryBrownSide.jpg
1968ChevelleSSFront.jpg
96GrandPrixSpecialEdition1.jpg
MustGT1.jpg
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

knife7knut wrote:Page two:
My 1964 Austin Mini Cooper wagon with highly modified 1340 cc motor.Would do around 110 mph.
My 1960 Chevrolet sedan delivery;my first wagon.
My 1968 Chevelle SS with a blueprinted 365 hp 327 engine and custom paint done when car was new by a good friend.
My wife's 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Special Edition.
What my Mustang looks like today.
Ray,
When you say your engine was 'blueprinted' just what does that mean?

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Paladin wrote:
knife7knut wrote: Ray,

Ray
The term,'blueprinting" was used by engine builders back in the 1970's to indicate that an engine had been taken apart and any deviations from standard be brought up to specifications. Usually consisted of measuring the volume of the combustion chambers in the cylinder heads and if necessary reducing them to the stated minimum(more compression)to obtain the maximum amount of horsepower. This applied to all parts of the engine. It was done to engines that were mostly designed to run in the Pure Stock classes at the drags. A lot of factory engines were out of tolerance due to mass production tolerances and these procedures just fine tuned the specifications.Amazing how much of an increase in horsepower you could get and still have a "stock" engine. The engine in my Chevelle was built by a gentleman who campaigned a AA fuel dragster and specialized in such engines. I swapped him a complete paint job on his dragster for the work.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

knife7knut wrote:
Paladin wrote:
knife7knut wrote: Ray,

Ray
The term,'blueprinting" was used by engine builders back in the 1970's to indicate that an engine had been taken apart and any deviations from standard be brought up to specifications. Usually consisted of measuring the volume of the combustion chambers in the cylinder heads and if necessary reducing them to the stated minimum(more compression)to obtain the maximum amount of horsepower. This applied to all parts of the engine. It was done to engines that were mostly designed to run in the Pure Stock classes at the drags. A lot of factory engines were out of tolerance due to mass production tolerances and these procedures just fine tuned the specifications.Amazing how much of an increase in horsepower you could get and still have a "stock" engine. The engine in my Chevelle was built by a gentleman who campaigned a AA fuel dragster and specialized in such engines. I swapped him a complete paint job on his dragster for the work.
Thanks for that little tutorial, Ray. It is a term I heard often back in the day but I always hated to show my ignorance and ask.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

Knife7knut, ::hmm:: Maybe you could explain ported and polished also. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Ported/polished refers to the intake/exhaust ports on the heads.. Ported means to enlarge/reconfigure the ports and polished is to polish smooth remove any burrs, imperfections of the ports.. Smooth, bigger ports mean the fuel moves smoother and increases the horsepower.. Hope this all makes sense!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
gypsy jim

Post by gypsy jim »

Knife7knut, that '55 Safari is a great looking car. Cooler than a Nomad.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”