Screen Addiction is destroying travel

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Screen Addiction is destroying travel

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Interesting item in yesterdays USA Today section of our local newspaper. It is reported that people going on vacation and paying hundreds of dollars for admission to theme parks spend their time there oblivious to the sights while staring at their phones! And they also walk while staring at their screens and crash into objects and other people. An incident was mentioned where a family was seated in a restaurant staring at their phones without speaking to one another. The server came to take their order and they were slow to respond and order, and then when they did get their food it sat on the table so long that they promptly sent it back because it was cold! The article states that the average college student female spends about 10 HOURS A DAY on their phones and college males spend nearly 8 HOURS A DAY!! WOW! I have to admit that I don't get it, I can find almost nothing to stare at for more that 3 seconds on my flip phone. No seriously, I can relate to that because back in the day (1970's) I was a severe camera bug and everywhere I went I had the Minolta SRT101 35mm along. It got so bad that I got to the point that I would get the film developed and look at the photos, and say to myself,"where was this taken, I don't remember seeing that". After that, I really made an effort to leave the camera at home and really noticed a difference. Shortly after that I sold the camera gear and didn't even miss it. Anyway, like someone once said, "the world is changing and it ain't for the better".
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Screen Addiction is destroying travel

Post by Railsplitter »

I hear ya man. I'm glad I don't own a smart phone. My cell phone is also a flipper and it doesn't have internet access. I am absolutely, positively Ok with that.

What irritates me the most is that I frequently see people texting while driving despite the law against it and all the people that have died or killed someone because of it. Don't they know how dangerous that is? Don't they care?
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Railsplitter wrote:I hear ya man. I'm glad I don't own a smart phone. My cell phone is also a flipper and it doesn't have internet access. I am absolutely, positively Ok with that.

What irritates me the most is that I frequently see people texting while driving despite the law against it and all the people that have died or killed someone because of it. Don't they know how dangerous that is? Don't they care?
They know it is dangerous and illegal and they do care, about themselves.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

69i1fQWl.jpg
According to the recent age poll, I'm in the second largest age group, just a bit younger than the largest group here. Yet, I sometimes think I have more in common with the people in that story than some of you. I am online in one way or another from the time I wake up to the time I fall asleep. Part of that is simply my job - most IT managers are expected to be available 24/7. If the fit hits the shan and a business critical application or the network goes down, we are expected to have the system back up before the business starts work the next morning. But, of course, most small & midsize companies are not willing to have enough IT employees to run a 24/7 IT department... Just this last Monday I got a call at 7:30 AM from an indignant VP who wanted to know what the heck we were doing about the problem with the wireless network. The issue had been reported at 3 AM on Sunday morning and I had not checked my email all day Sunday, nor had I yet checked my email on Monday morning. ::dang::

This expectation of being available to respond anytime and anywhere has set us up for this "online addiction". It's a feedback loop - the more I use my technology, the more positive feedback I get. When I do not use my technology, I get very large negative feedback.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Railsplitter wrote: Don't they care?
No, because they're idiots... ::barf::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

XX Case XX wrote:
Railsplitter wrote: Don't they care?
No, because they're idiots... ::barf::

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:69i1fQWl.jpg

According to the recent age poll, I'm in the second largest age group, just a bit younger than the largest group here. Yet, I sometimes think I have more in common with the people in that story than some of you. I am online in one way or another from the time I wake up to the time I fall asleep. Part of that is simply my job - most IT managers are expected to be available 24/7. If the fit hits the shan and a business critical application or the network goes down, we are expected to have the system back up before the business starts work the next morning. But, of course, most small & midsize companies are not willing to have enough IT employees to run a 24/7 IT department... Just this last Monday I got a call at 7:30 AM from an indignant VP who wanted to know what the heck we were doing about the problem with the wireless network. The issue had been reported at 3 AM on Sunday morning and I had not checked my email all day Sunday, nor had I yet checked my email on Monday morning. ::dang::

This expectation of being available to respond anytime and anywhere has set us up for this "online addiction". It's a feedback loop - the more I use my technology, the more positive feedback I get. When I do not use my technology, I get very large negative feedback.
But of course, since you're management they feel no obligation to pay you extra for being available (on call) during your "off time". As far as they're concerned, IT is all HPFM and you're the magician. Something goes wrong and you wave your magic wand, Ta Da, everything's all good again. God, I'm glad I'm retired. Best job I've ever had. Doesn't pay much but the benefits are outstanding.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

jerryd6818 wrote: But of course, since you're management they feel no obligation to pay you extra for being available (on call) during your "off time". As far as they're concerned, IT is all HPFM and you're the magician. Something goes wrong and you wave your magic wand, Ta Da, everything's all good again. God, I'm glad I'm retired. Best job I've ever had. Doesn't pay much but the benefits are outstanding.
Of course not! I'm also not part of the senior executive team because "I'm just the IT guy".

Mammas, don't let your babies grow up to be IT employees... [sung by Willie Nelson]

But I really can't complain too much - I'm compensated fairly in both salary & stock, and I get to do what I love - use technology to solve problems. Being a technology guy (engineering, IT, etc) is not a career, it's a Holy Calling. The reality is that we would probably be doing this work even if we weren't getting paid. Contrast that with accountants & lawyers, who make you pay through the nose for every minute you make them do their jobs...

I am very much looking forward to the day I can retire - at which point I will be probably be doing a lot of the same things I do now (researching new technology on the internet, talking to other people about technology and trying to convince people technology isn't magic), only I won't be getting paid and I won't have idiot senior VPs riding me to solve their stupid problems faster.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

You and me both Jerry...be 12 years retired for me this june,,,I could
not even think of being back in todays work force.....
And like ya all said about these phones, unbelievable !!!
I got a Trac phone ya just buy minutes on, no contract
I am sure as hell glad I am on my way out,,,and just not starting in todays times and culture !!! :shock:

Wil
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

June of 2006 for me too Wil and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I'm a Senior contrarian because I got a smart phone two and a half years ago. I love and have always loved technology but the smart phone learning curve has been a pretty steep hill to climb. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there even though I have this tendency to forget what I just learned. ::tired:: Going on three years and I just discovered there's a speech to text feature in my phone so I don't have to wear out my finger texting anymore.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

[quote="jerryd6818" I just discovered there's a speech to text feature in my phone so I don't have to wear out my finger texting anymore.[/quote]

I was texting back and forth with my sister and I remarked how fast she was getting back to me. Amazing, I said.
She comes back with; Uhh, ya see that little microphone there on the bottom of your phone? ............. DUHHH!! ::woot::
Joe
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have a 10yr old flip phone.. I text like a Neanderthal and make up my own spelling of words too.. ::facepalm:: ::nod:: :lol: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

My wife just got her first smart phone about 3 weeks ago !
::facepalm::
Kicking and screaming she is, being drug by her heel . . . .

The kicker was when her 81 year-old aunt said "Honey, you really need to get one of these ..."

::mdm::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

royal0014 wrote:My wife just got her first smart phone about 3 weeks ago !
::facepalm::
Kicking and screaming she is, being drug by her heel . . . .

The kicker was when her 81 year-old aunt said "Honey, you really need to get one of these ..."

::mdm::
::rotflol:: ::clapping::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

There is a guy that sits near me at work that still has a flip phone that is literally held together with rubber bands and duct tape. What is really sad is that this guy is an *engineer* in our Quality department... How an engineer can be a complete computer luddite is beyond me.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

One of my best friends, who worked with me for 15 years, refuses to consider anything beyond his buy more minutes flip phone. In fact he only carries it when it's absolutely necessary. Of course he's as contrary as a hog on ice. I swear most of the things he refuses to do or even consider is due to his stubborn, against the grain personality. Wouldn't take a million dollars for him but he can be very trying at times.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

At the end of the day, tech is just a tool. If it helps you accomplish a goal, use it. If it doesn't, don't. In many cases, I won't know whether the tool helps or not unless I try it, so why not try? Right now I'm communicating with people I don't know and most likely will never meet. I couldn't do that without the tech, and I think that's pretty cool. ::handshake::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

stagman wrote:You and me both Jerry...be 12 years retired for me this june,,,I could
not even think of being back in todays work force.....
And like ya all said about these phones, unbelievable !!!
I got a Trac phone ya just buy minutes on, no contract
I am sure as hell glad I am on my way out,,,and just not starting in todays times and culture !!! :shock:

Wil
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
I will be 5 years retired next month. I don't know if any of you younger guys realize it or not, but when you retire and go on Social Security you have to make a very important decision right away. That is, you will NOT be working, but will be getting a SS check. So are you going to NOT work full time 40 hours, or are you going to NOT work part time 20 hours??????? After careful thought, I elected to NOT work part time 20 hours, because that way dividing my SS check by 20 I would make more per hour!!!!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I enjoy my phone, I seldom use it for conversation and I never text while driving, l have sync on my truck and talk thu that when I do, but 99 percent of my aapk use is on the fool thing. I like that just about anything l need to know is at my fingertips. I've been retired for 14 years and it by far the best job I've ever had. ::nod::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”