Polish?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
mrwatch

Polish?

Post by mrwatch »

This may have been discussed before. I have several red, Swiss Army knives and one blue. The plastic handles are scratched and dull from pocket change and car keys, how do you polish or shine them up. I do not want to loose the metal shield and not sure how the factory applies them. thanks, Bob
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Polish?

Post by Railsplitter »

I would start with any wax that you happen to have on hand. If you aren't satisfied with those results, Micro Mesh works wonders as long as the scratches aren't severe. Auto parts stores sell a similar product for removing the haze from headlight covers.

Both products require some work but it's worth the effort. I think Micro Mesh has 8-12 grits that you use in progression. When you're done with the finest grit you've got a finish that looks like new or even better.

I've used Micro Mesh on Vulcanite pipe stems and I was amazed at the results. Looked even shinier than new. Like black glass.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I have had good luck with Meguires Cleaner Wax. Intended for autos but can use

elsewhere. It has some mild abrasives ( cleaner) and small amount of wax (protectant).

You may need to apply and remove several times but it should give you good results.

Ending with Renaissance Wax (available on Amazon) would give you a nice shine and

protection on your knife surface.

Bob
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Don't use powered buffers, or dremel wheels, unless you go really light and slow. They'll melt the plastic.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Thanks guy's, I do not plan to do a restore, just brighten them up. Although I may do a lot more too the blue one. My father sold Lincoln and Mercuries after retiring. He said that it was given to him by a Ford rep, and he gave it too me. Has the Ford logo on it. :D That was around 1992.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”