WD40 - So Versatile!!! (Humor)

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WD40 - So Versatile!!! (Humor)

Post by knifeaholic »

We as knife nuts and knife mechanics all love WD40...but I never knew that it was this versatile as described in the ad.
DRvH61eX4AEUbCb.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WD40 - So Versatile!!! (Humor)

Post by 1967redrider »

Someone had a sense of humor, today they'd be looking for a new job. Doesn't "WD" stand for water displacement? I've always heard that was the real use, not a lubricant.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Keep in the car along with a pack of condoms. 8)
Roger
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I gotta get me some of that stuff!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

1967redrider wrote: Doesn't "WD" stand for water displacement?
Yes it does. Here's the story as I understand it: The man who invented WD-40 tried 39 times to come up with whatever he was trying to make, lubricant or otherwise, and was unsuccessful. On the 40th try, he succeeded. That's why it's called WD-40. WD=Water Displacement, and the "40" signifies how may times it took before he got it right. Hence the name "WD-40".

By the way, if you plan on using WD-40 in any area where wind and dust are abundant, use the WD-40 with Silicone, not the regular stuff. The Silicone version doesn't attract as much dirt and grime which means your items will stay a bit cleaner for longer periods of time. The Silicone version is great on garage door opener mechanisms and bicycle chains.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote:Someone had a sense of humor, today they'd be looking for a new job. Doesn't "WD" stand for water displacement? I've always heard that was the real use, not a lubricant.
Yes. It's worthless as a lubricant.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:
1967redrider wrote:Someone had a sense of humor, today they'd be looking for a new job. Doesn't "WD" stand for water displacement? I've always heard that was the real use, not a lubricant.
I agree with Jerry. In fact aside from its water displacement properties WD-40 is pretty much worthless period. I cringe every time I see it recommended as a knife lubricant or rust preventative.

I use it occasionally to wipe down metal tools in the shop, or on battery posts, simply because every year about this time someone gifts me another can of the stuff. ::barf:: But I always make sure to wipe it off thoroughly because in addition to displacing moisture it's one of the best dust and dirt magnets ever. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I use it for starting small engines that set for long periods of time and I get tried of pulling the cord.Take the plug out and squirt some WD 40 in it,it will fire. ::tu::
Roger
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

It's a good tar remover and fine for removing old oil and grease from yore hands after changing yur url & pumping grease into yur fittings. Not near as messy as gojo imo. ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

When my brother ATV raced for Kawasaki, we used it on the plastic fenders to make them shine for race day. Also allowed some mud to slide off, but there was usually more mud close behind. Tire foam worked just as good.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
marcellusW

Post by marcellusW »

jerryd6818 wrote:

Hey Jerry,

I use WD40 as an after shave.
Women just love it.

Semper Paratus !
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a squirrel den.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

marcellusW wrote:
I use WD40 as an after shave.
Women just love it.

Semper Paratus !
Better than Hoppe's No. 9? Surely not!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I drove a couple of MGBs back in the day. The distributors on those things are way down on the side of the engine block (British Engineering ::doh:: ), so when you ran through a little bit of water, you could drown out your distributor. I used to keep a can of WD 40 in the trunk to spray out the distributor. That would usually get them to fire back up.

Nowadays about the only thing I use it for is to clean tar and bugs off my autos prior to washing them.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Do any of you guys fish?
WD-40 is one of the best scents you can put on your lures went fishing for steelhead and salmon. You must be careful of what state you are in because some states do not allow WD-40 to be used as a fishing scent.
Most salmon and steelhead fishermen in the Pacific Northwest will have a small bottle of WD-40 in their tackle box.
Of course in that instance it is used as a “lubricant” for fishing reels! :wink:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I was told it is like 60% kerosene. One day at work a man asked if it was flammable? A fireman who worked with us pulled out his lighter and held it in front of the spray tube. FUME blast of fire! ::woot:: That was in the galley of a new $5 million dollar ship we were building. Pull up to the dock and say fill it up and they don't usually take credit cards. Plus harbor tax in a lot of places. 5K. gallons fuel capacity. I think one the Florida guy's here can guess what brand it was.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Here is a interesting youtube video of a Nitro Engine running on WD40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDB8ZoEg ... e=youtu.be
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”