Software for cataloging knives?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
americanedgetech

Software for cataloging knives?

Post by americanedgetech »

I'm trying to find a way to catalog/inventory my knives.
I use Open Office that will run MS Office templates but so far I have not found a template that satisfies my idea of what I need.

I am looking to place 4-6 pictures of each knife, and all the info I have on that item.
Purchase date, and price
Model, maker, year of manufacture
Physical description of item
Estimated value

I have tried several templates but none of them really fit my idea.
Just for example here is one... but it does not really work for me.
Attachments
AET002.jpg
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Software for cataloging knives?

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

There used to be some "Collectibles" software that showed up on Ebay frequently, but I don't think they've kept pace with the OS progression. I haven't seen it lately.

You might check out Documents To Go. It's a spread sheet program that also has linked programs for your smart phone.

Once you have the spread sheet set up and synched to your phone, any changes you make on one will transfer to the other platform when you synch again.

I've used it for years.

You just label your columns the way you want with the information you think pertinent and fill in the data on each line.

Pretty sure you can link to photos, although I've never bothered to do that.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
americanedgetech

Thanks Charlie,
The standard spread sheet is the first one I tried. The problems come in when you insert multiple images per item, and the time involved in formatting the entire thing.

I think what I would prefer is a one item per page type system. I've spent hours trying to re-format different templates, and then I have to repeat that same process for every new item.
I am hoping that someone has a template suggestion that they use because I can learn to do things on the PC but if someone else has figured it out... why re-invent the wheel.

I am certain a template has to be available but there are tens of thousands of them, and d'loading, and trying them one by one is nerve wracking.
Ken Mc.

RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I may still have the small floppy disk with that pocketknife software on it.

If you have the means of using a floppy, i.e. an "A" drive, I'd be glad to send it to you.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I did a Google search for "collectibles software" and got multiple matches.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
americanedgetech

I actually just gave away a box full of older PC parts so I don't have a floppy drive anymore. I seriously doubt that the disc would actually still be readable anyway. They degrade rather quickly.(3-5 years)

I appreciate the offer Charlie.
For today I'm going to start photographing what I have. When that is done I'll have more motivation to search for a template that works or maybe I can get one of those "Fiver" folks to write me a template for 5 bucks.
https://www.fiverr.com/

For anyone not familiar... Fiver is a site where computer geeks can resister to develop almost anything you need, and the price starts at 5 buck for almost everything. They are very competitive amongst each other, and they use a 5 star rating system like FleaBay. You really can not lose there.
I am working with a fella in India to make my company Logo right now. 25 bucks, and I get the original .dwg file plus unlimited revisions. Three days or you do not pay.

Just saw your new post Charlie.
That is the problem. I have d'loaded dozens of programs/templates. Open them to see, and so far the one I posted above is the closest to what I need but still not close enough.
I'm sure one is out there but my time is the real issue. I can't spend 20 minutes per page on modifying the template for each one of a couple hundred knives, tools, ect...
I am doing this for both inventory control, and insurance records.

I should have started this process sooner.
Ken Mc.

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Ken - I used NM Collector Software for a long time but now I use a simple Excel file with embedded pictures for knives (1 row/knife). I've dabbled with building an Access database but in all honesty, Excel suits all of my needs. Knowing that you are going to be a dealer, you'll also want to capture sales and customers. Let me know if I can help, feel free to PM or email me. Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
americanedgetech

Thank you Tom.
I'll send out a message once I know where to begin.

For sales I am pretty good with ready made invoicing software but I'll tell you... That QuickBooks literally put me in the hospital.I hated going home, and dealing with it soooooo much that I thought I was having a heart attack every time I sat down to use this miracle program that was supposed to make life easier.
I later found out that TCC actually gives classes in using this great new program because no one knows how to use it except the people that developed it!

I'm more old school now, and use simple invoicing software for records, and I don't want to edit that with every sale or lose everything if one program fails.like my inventory, ect...

I need that button that they use at Staples... Pick out what you want, and push the button.
Cars talk to coffee pots, and sprinklers are tied to NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration).I have panic attacks trying to get paid for work I already did. ::cr:: ::censored:: ::pace::
Ken Mc.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”