New Hobby - Amateur Radio = Ham Radio

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
CheckSix

New Hobby - Amateur Radio = Ham Radio

Post by CheckSix »

Been busy the last month getting on the air. Took my FCC Amateur Radio license tests, Technician, General(Sept 23rd) & Extra(last Sunday) and passed them all. I studied for a week before the 1st two tests, then about 5 days of review before the Extra exam. The tests are not too difficult, if you have some electronics and science background.

I set up a radio shack in a spare bedroom and put up antennas. Now I talk to people from all over the States and the world. Pretty fascinating hobby. What is really interesting is how signal propagation works on the different bands and how the Sun and the atmosphere interact with the wave propagation at any given time and day.

Beware! If you get interested, it is a DEEP rabbit hole. :lol:

Anyone else here a Ham? If so, we should arrange a QSO.

Dave - KD9JKG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: New Hobby - Amateur Radio = Ham Radio

Post by bestgear »

Tom - KB1DVD
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I got hooked on CB Radio back about 1970 (the poor foster child of Amateur Radio). It's very addicting and I made some very good friends.

That was back when legally you were required to have a license... KEK-5453 and were limited to (I think) 5 watts.

We'll never see you again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

KF4VYS here my wife KF4VYN ,
I’ve been a General class ham operator since 1998 , fun hobby . I just recently took my tower down , to many hurricanes down my way lol .
It’s awesome charging the atmosphere with a 2kw Henry Linear .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Never got past novice KN7MOZ, year 1963. Family too poor to get equipment. It would be an excellent hobby. I assume you have convinced your wife that you should have a hundred foot tower. :lol:
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

My wife Cathy is KB1DVY and we both have Technician licenses.......we submitted our license applications at the same time but I guess mine got shuffled to the top of the deck unlike you Mike......cool stuff! We have a pair of Icom IC-T8A tribanders that cover 50, 144 and 430 (440) MHz.......we mostly just use it for grins and giggles at this point.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Awesome to see others here that are licensed! This hobby really feeds the tech nerd part of me.

No tower for me right now. In a HOA. Enough said. I do have an attic full of antennas now though. All stealth. A Comet GP3 for 2m & 70cm (excellent antenna!). An end fed dipole with a 9:1 UnUn and a separate mono band 20m dipole. The end fed is tuned to 40m for operating at night, as 40m does well at night. So, I have a daytime band (20m) and a nighttime band (40m) for HF.

For radios, I have a Yaesu FT-857D for the 2m/70cm repeater stuff. For HF, I have a Kenwood TS-590SG and am running an SDR to get a panadapter waterfall display of the bands. No rf PA yet. The Kenwood does 100W and the Yaesu does 50W on 2m and 20W on 70cm. More than plenty to get around. I've made QSO's to Louisiana, Colorado, Missouri and so forth on HF. No DX yet.

The current setup is in a spare bedroom on a work table... Good enough for right now.
Attachments
IMG_0574XBig AK Rainbow.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

ScoutKnives wrote:KF4VYS here my wife KF4VYN ,
I’ve been a General class ham operator since 1998 , fun hobby . I just recently took my tower down , to many hurricanes down my way lol .
Get your tower back up! :D

Let me know when you're ready. We'll see on pre-arrangement of day and time and freq, if we can QSO.

FYI... I looked you up on FCC ULS and see that you're up for license renewal in March. 10 yrs goes quick!

KD9JKG back to you.
NRA Life/Endowment
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Yep 2018 is my renewal time again , going on 20 years :)
Hopefully they send me a reminder lol don’t need it expiring .
CheckSix wrote:
ScoutKnives wrote:KF4VYS here my wife KF4VYN ,
Get your tower back up! :D

Let me know when you're ready. We'll see on pre-arrangement of day and time and freq, if we can QSO.

FYI... I looked you up on FCC ULS and see that you're up for license renewal in March. 10 yrs goes quick!

KD9JKG back to you.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

They don't send reminders but you can renew early
Tom
AAPK Administrator

CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

bestgear wrote:They don't send reminders but you can renew early
That is EXACTLY why I was giving KF4VYS a "heads up!". ::tu::
NRA Life/Endowment
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

I remember getting a renewal notice in the mail after my first 10 years ::shrug::

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

From the FCC: "Amateur operator licenses may be renewed any time during a filing window of 90 days before license expiration or up to 2 years after your license has expired but no renewal notice will be provided. After the 2 year "grace period" is up, your license will be cancelled by the FCC and removed from their database. To regain your amateur license privileges you will have to retake all of the needed examinations and you will be assigned a new call sign."
Tom
AAPK Administrator

RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

CheckSix wrote:No tower for me right now. In a HOA.
Dave, I’m surprised that the Ham Operator’s Association (HOA) wouldn’t let you have a tower. :D

The story below circulated a few years ago. It is a tale of what happens when the dweebs in the HOA take on a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient over a flag pole and displaying the USA flag. Guess who backed down? Mr. Barfoot has since passed.

Head east from Carthage on Mississippi 16 toward Philadelphia and after a few miles a sign says youre in Edinburg .
Its a good thing the signs there, because theres no other way to tell.

On June 15, 1919, Van T. Barfoot was born in Edinburg . Probably didnt make much news.

Twenty-five years later, on May 23, 1944, near Carano , Italy , Van T. Barfoot, who had enlisted in the Army in 1940, set out to flank German machine gun positions from which fire was coming down on his fellow soldiers. He advanced through a minefield, took out three enemy machine gun positions and returned with 17 prisoners of war.

If that wasnt enough for a days work, he later took on and destroyed three German tanks sent to retake the machine gun positions.

That probably didnt make much news either, given the scope of the war, but it did earn Van T. Barfoot,
who retired as a colonel after also serving in Korea and Vietnam , a Congressional Medal of Honor.

What did make news last week was a neighborhood associations quibble with how the 90-year-old veteran chose to fly the American flag outside his suburban Virginia home. Seems the rules said a flag could be flown on a house-mounted bracket, but, for decorum, items such as Barfoots 21-foot flagpole were unsuitable.

He had been denied a permit for the pole, erected it anyway and was facing court action if he didnt take it down. Since the story made national TV, the neighborhood association has rethought its position and agreed to indulge this old hero who dwells among them.

In the time I have left I plan to continue to fly the American flag without interference, Barfoot told The Associated Press.

As well he should.

And if any of his neighbors still takes a notion to contest him, they might want to read his Medal of Honor citation.
It indicates hes not real good at backing down.

Van T. Barfoots Medal of Honor citation:

This 1944 Medal of Honor citation, listed with the National Medal of Honor Society, is for Second Lieutenant Van T. Barfoot, 157th Infantry, 45th Infantry:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano , Italy . With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoots extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of point blank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

RalphAlsip wrote:
Van T. Barfoots Medal of Honor citation:

This 1944 Medal of Honor citation, listed with the National Medal of Honor Society, is for Second Lieutenant Van T. Barfoot, 157th Infantry, 45th Infantry:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano , Italy . With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoots extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of point blank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.
Extraordinary, as are the actions of all recipients of the Medal of Honor. What confuses me is his rank. Was it 2nd Lt. Barfoot or Sgt. Barfoot?

Never mind. My friend Wikipedia cleared it up for me.
Condensed quote from Wikipedia; "Barfoot, now a technical sergeant, was subsequently commissioned as a second lieutenant."
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

RalphAlsip wrote:
CheckSix wrote:No tower for me right now. In a HOA.
Dave, I’m surprised that the Ham Operator’s Association (HOA) wouldn’t let you have a tower. :D
hahaha...!!! That actually made me laugh. If your definition was true, I would have no opposition to the idea. Truth is, it's not worth fighting if I'm leaving this home in the short term (2-3 yrs) to relocate for retirement. Putting a proper tower in with concrete pad, grounding and so forth... is $5K - $10K. I'll wait until I move and don't have to deal with human obstacles and naysayers.

The story on Barfoot I had heard about before. Those individuals that have the courage to do those things in battle, put me in awe. And he was just one of countless brave souls that did these heroic actions. ::not_worthy::
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Just a brief update...

I've now talked with people from the states of Washington, to Maine, to Florida, to California, to Texas, to Wyoming and every place in between... Also several contacts made in Canada, briefly heard someone from Australia but the pipeline closed to quickly for contact.... and today, I spoke with someone on St Barts island in the Caribbean. All of these have been on just 3 frequency bands, 40m, 20m & 15m, with antennas in my ATTIC.

We talk about many different topics and sometimes, exchanges are very short due to the band propagation conditions. Sometimes we talk for longer...

The other morning at O'Dark Thirty, 1st cup of joe in hand... I catch a CQ call loud and clear. I respond and he hears me! He was in Odessa, TX and has been a ham for 60 yrs! We had a leisurely, fun conversation for 30 mins. He was running 800 watts, me on the other hand, xmit'ing with only 90w. He told me he was impressed with my tenacity to make something work, with my constraints.

Fun stuff!

I also use the 2 meter and 70cm repeaters at home base and in the car for regional comms.
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I wondered where you'd been lately. The radio is as addictive as knives.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Well, between corporate "work" and an LLC I started 4 yrs ago and all the hobbies, plus 2 dogs and a wife. Available time gets spread pretty thin. But I still love AAPK and step in and read posts and respond when I can.

Yesterday, I talked with a guy in Jamaica, mon. Brookhaven Nat'l Labs was also on the air and talked with them. Since it's a holiday weekend, I've had more time to get on the air.

Ordered a new digital radio yesterday, in a format called DMR. It uses analog to hit a repeater that is connected to the internet. Then there are something close to 10,000 talk groups worldwide you can connect to and communicate with. Though I would try that and see how the latest technology works. I've been doing it old school so far.

::tu::
NRA Life/Endowment
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

I guess I’m special Tom :mrgreen:

Attachments
62A77036-3EBD-4615-BFE2-00235DEF0545.jpeg
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

WE always knew that Mike......I stand corrected :oops:
Tom
AAPK Administrator

CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Amazing Mike! I had read that they don't send reminders any more.

On a related topic...
I picked up 2 antique radios. A 1932 Philco Model 80 Grand Jr... and a 1959 Zenith tube 600 series Transoceanic. Both work.
Attachments
Philco 80B Grand Jr_01.JPG
Zenith B600_01.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Did someone say philco ? ::super_happy::

Cool old radios Dave. Guess which one I like best.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Transoceanic is a class outfit.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

LOL!! Too funny Phil! I hadn't thought of that connection until I read your post. :lol: My father worked for Philco right after WWII, up until the mid 60's.

Right you are Jerry! The Trans-Oceanic's tag line is, "the Royalty of Radios" and well deserved. It sounds marvelous. I got the battery pack working today, so it is back to being a portable again. When I got it home, it was only working when plugged into 120V AC. The battery pack has to supply 9V and 90V to the radio for it to work on battery, it's a split supply. Mine is a B600 series, the very last portable vacuum tube radio, made in the USA. I listened to Radio Havana on shortwave for a bit today. Clear as a bell.
NRA Life/Endowment

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”