compass app.

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
mrwatch

compass app.

Post by mrwatch »

I put two different cell phone compass apps on my L G phone. both show north as slightly north west. do you hold the phone straight up or flat? I tried rotating it in both vertical and horizontal circle to see if it will auto adjust to north to no avail. I do not normally carry a compass and I am good when the sun shines but in the snow, or night time "look out!" probably a YouTube for that but frankly they eat my data plan. ::teary_eyes::
Thanks,, Bob
fergusontd

Re: compass app.

Post by fergusontd »

mrwatch, Most compass apps do point that way, any magentic influnce will cause it to be slightly off. True north I believe is a little off from magentic north. I'm not an expert just my 2 cents. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

The difference between true north and the magnetic north your compass detects is called "Magnetic Declination" and it varies from one location to another. Below is a link to some further information about it.

http://www.magnetic-declination.com/wha ... nation.php
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Most compass apps require a ferrous free close environment. For instance, they will most likely not work inside an automobile.

Also, the one on my BlackBerry requires me to orient it by twirling it in a figure 8 fashion for several moments prior to attempting to read it.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”