Are These Meteorites?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Cicatriz

Re: Are These Meteorites?

Post by Cicatriz »

The interesting ones that I kept.
Lower left is one that I imagine was a worry stone. Found it on the ground polished to a shine. Has not rusted or tarnished.
About 1.5in long

The lighter color rusty looking one is part of a hollow iron concretion. Streak tests lighter color rust.
These won't polish well

Lower right is a few interesting shapes, blobs and bumps.

Upper left is a few that I've cut and/or filed to test.

If you're ever in Frio county look for large iron concretions. Some are as big as a football and hollow.
I have a potato sized one somewhere...

SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Cicatriz, I believe mine are closer to the two at mid bottom, right on the fold. You have a variation of colors. Mine are all mostly the same except for some that are darker and shinier. I have one that is shaped like a human heart. I also found what I think may be a musket ball but could be a bearing (also none magnetic). I think ball bearings are magetic but not sure.

I live in an area (Hilltop Acres) still selcuded from all the recent construction of suburbia and have a dry creek running through my property. A few blocks from me I saw some guys digging around a large oak near the creekbed for weeks some years back. They'd squat down when I'd pass by as the land had been sold to the river authority along with part of mine. The diggers live nearby and through the grapevine I heard that they dug up some American Indian artifacts, arrow heads and a Spanish Conquistador helmet. When they took the items in for evaluation they were asked where exactly they found them. They were vague at first but eventually caved and the items were confiscated. ::facepalm:: All that work for nothing. Hence, a musket ball?

Getting back to your username, you bring up a better example for the last syllable - thriz. However, the R is still not quite right as there's no "er" sound to it. Like I said, the R pronunciation is much different in Spanish. And at the start of most words and names the R rolls (as with the RR at the middle of words). I'm still sticking to the first two syllables so "see-kah-thriz". That's as close as one can get. ::nod:: It's best to click on the link provided and listen closely. That's the way I've always pronounced it. By the way, my first language is Spanish. I speak both languages daily. I was told once that I have an accent...although I've never heard it. :lol: ¿Eres Latino o hablas Español?
Cicatriz

Post by Cicatriz »

Digging in midden(trash) mounds is fun and can be lucrative. However, stealing is not the way to go about life.
I would have to actually see the helmet in the ground to believe they got it from a midden. A cave, maybe.
Many ranchers around Texas charge a day fee to dig/search middens.

Musket balls, ball bearings and anything with a good iron content will be attracted to a magnet.
I've spent many long days using a metal detector and also magnet fishing.

A few years ago I was part of a team that performed a water rescue not too far from you. During hurricane season, flash flood.

Accent? People in Texas have an accent? First I've heard of it.

Yo hablo poquito espanol de Guatemala, Honduras, y Mexico. Tex-Mex y pocho tambien...
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Cicatriz wrote:Digging in midden(trash) mounds is fun and can be lucrative. However, stealing is not the way to go about life.
I would have to actually see the helmet in the ground to believe they got it from a midden. A cave, maybe.
Many ranchers around Texas charge a day fee to dig/search middens.

Musket balls, ball bearings and anything with a good iron content will be attracted to a magnet.
I've spent many long days using a metal detector and also magnet fishing.

A few years ago I was part of a team that performed a water rescue not too far from you. During hurricane season, flash flood.

Accent? People in Texas have an accent? First I've heard of it.

Yo hablo poquito espanol de Guatemala, Honduras, y Mexico. Tex-Mex y pocho tambien...
I don't see why they would lie about where they found the helmet if that's what got it confiscated. I saw them several times digging away as I passed by in my truck. I'd go for walks in that area too and one time when they were finished digging I went onto the property out of curiosity. I saw the dug up area that was halfway covered by then. It was all around the big oak by Medio creek. ::shrug::

I've considered buying a metal detector several times but always end up too confused on which type to buy. ::facepalm::

During that 100 year flood and then about year later the "500 year flood" the dry creek got about 300' wide and was raging. (It's flooded 4 times like that in twenty years or so.) I go down the hill by the creek when it does and one time I heard what sounded like a whale spouting water. It was a 500 gallon propane tank sprouting propane as it was coming down the creek spinning, rotating. I found a truck down there after one of those floods and reported it.

The accent comment was from another fellow Texan; a teenage kid. :D

Un poquito de todo. Esta bien. ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”