Eclipse

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
CheckSix

Re: Eclipse

Post by CheckSix »

jerryd6818 wrote:You failed to mention that "The Last Word" is going with you.
HAHAHA....!!!

You've met her? :lol:
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Just did an exposure test of my 2 different solar filters using a 600mm lens on my Nikon DSLR. One is Baader solar film, I use on my telescope... the other is a 4"x5" welder mask plate shade 9. Both seem to work.
Attachments
DSC_2142XBig AK Rainbow.JPG
DSC_2143XBig AK Rainbow.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

By the way, if you look at the top photo, expanded... at about 8:00 in the photo, on the face of the Sun, there is the current solar activity called activity region 2671. The Baader solar film did a better job of revealing it.
NRA Life/Endowment
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The whole thing can be a bit inconvenient for those of us who live right in the path of the total eclipse and have to deal with the sudden population growth! Salem Oregon has about a hundred and sixty-seven thousand people and they're expecting 1 to 1.5 million more people for the eclipse. Even if you spread that million people over the entire Willamette Valley from Portland to Eugene it more than doubles the population and we don't have the infrastructure to handle it.

I have heard of people renting their houses out for $2,000 per day with a 4 day minimum! Other people are renting their yards for people to camp in. Some people are definitely capitalizing on it so I guess for some people who live here it's great, to others less so.

We are gassing up both vehicles today and going to the grocery store to make sure that we don't have to go out for necessities until next week if it's really bad.
There seems to be as many out-of-state cars on the roads here and in the parking lots then there are cars with Oregon license plates and boy are the police capitalizing on it! I saw a motorcycle police speed trap yesterday morning at 8 AM, something I have never seen before. Shortly after that I saw it County Sheriff sending on an on-ramp so he could catch people speeding as they crested the hill and came into his view. They are putting on lots of extra officers and there's lots of overtime for them to pay for so I guess they're just ginning up a little income to pay for the extra police coverage.
If you happen to be driving in the Willamette Valley between now and Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, be extra cautious of speed traps and a much greater police presence on the highways.

I think the eclipse is cool, but I've seen them before. I will probably go outside and watch it with my wife in our yard, but I don't have any plans to make an event out of it. :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

CheckSix wrote:the other is a 4"x5" welder mask plate shade 9.
I read where shade 14 was recommended if you're going to look at it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

jerryd6818 wrote:
CheckSix wrote:the other is a 4"x5" welder mask plate shade 9.
I read where shade 14 was recommended if you're going to look at it.
Yes, that is what is recommended for viewing with your eyes. I was playing with it on my camera lens... so, not viewing with my eye. The DSLR has an LCD.

By the way, I have sunglasses that are shade 5. I can use them with the shade 9 glass plate to get shade 14. It's additive.
NRA Life/Endowment
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I have medical laser protective glasses from when I was still working.

I wonder if they are sufficient.

They are not particularly dark.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I have medical laser protective glasses from when I was still working.

I wonder if they are sufficient.

They are not particularly dark.

Charlie
You need optical density of 5 or greater. In welding shade numbers, this is 12 or greater. If you don't know the laser goggles numbers, don't use them!

Here's some math...

Convert the welding shade number into optical density.
Then the optical density numbers add up:
OD = [0.428 * (S-1)]

Convert from optical density to shade number:
S = (2.33*OD) +1

I have #9 and #5 which when stacked, yields shade #13. 12 is the minimum (which is OD 5).
NRA Life/Endowment
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The glasses I have are dark green (darker than I remembered) and are labeled as exceeding ANSI Z87.

They also have large side lenses, same shade.

I don't see a shade number, but looking at some sites, it seems that tinted Z87 glasses are shade 14.

Am I reading that incorrectly?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:The glasses I have are dark green (darker than I remembered) and are labeled as exceeding ANSI Z87.

They also have large side lenses, same shade.

I don't see a shade number, but looking at some sites, it seems that tinted Z87 glasses are shade 14.

Am I reading that incorrectly?

Charlie Noyes
Charlie,
ANSI Z87 is a broad specification for eye and face protection. Impact, splash, dust, radiation, etc. To fully know what those goggles were made to, you would need more information. Specifically from the manufacturer. Here's how they mark things now, since 2010 I believe...

Impact: “Z87+” indicates high-velocity impact, and “Z87” alone means basic impact
Splash and droplet: D3 for splash and droplet and D4 for dust
Fine dust: D5
Welding: W plus the shade number
UV: U plus the scale number
Infrared light: R plus the scale number
Visible light filter: L plus the scale number
Prescription: Z87-2 on the front of the front of the frame and on both temples
Head size: H indicates products designed for smaller head sizes
Other: V for photochromic and S for special lens tint
NRA Life/Endowment
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Now I learn that Sarah has an appointment tomorrow at one o'clock at The UAB Eye Center. I will have to take her.

So, when the eclipse occurs here, Sarah will be having an eye exam and I will be standing outside on University Blvd wearing my regular photosensitive eye-wear, my old clip-ons, my old laser protection glasses and one or two of those roll up doodads they give you after they dilate your eyes.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::dang:: Due to unforeseen circumstances the eclipse will be postponed until tommrow. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

We're in the totality path. Supposed to have the entire free world descending on us. There was quite a bit of traffic this morning. On the radio they said an estimated 90,000 people came into Bowling Green,KY overnight to sped the night. This afternoon ought to be interesting.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote:We're in the totality path. Supposed to have the entire free world descending on us. There was quite a bit of traffic this morning. On the radio they said an estimated 90,000 people came into Bowling Green,KY overnight to sped the night. This afternoon ought to be interesting.
Are there enough motel rooms for all those people or are 89,000 of them going to sleep in their cars?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.............I just don't understand all this hoop-la over an eclipse!!.........we have one every nite here!!.............. ::doh:: .......................
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Testing 1, 2, 3............CheckSix are you in position ? All systems go ? ::woot::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

carrmillus wrote:.............I just don't understand all this hoop-la over an eclipse!!.........we have one every nite here!!.............. ::doh:: .......................
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's pretty much the same thing I said to Wade a little while ago on the phone.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Well, y'all can say that if you want (I know you're just funnin' :lol: ), but I have to say you don't see this every day. We only had a partial eclipse here. Temperature dropped 4 degrees here in about 90 minutes. Notice these crescent-shaped shadows on the sidewalk under a tree in the yard.

Ken
Attachments
Eclipse shadows
Eclipse shadows
Eclipse shadows
Eclipse shadows
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Partial eclipse here in Maryland, thank you Nikon!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

At work we had a 97% eclipse. At home it was total for 46 seconds. It was pretty neat.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Whaaatttt,

There's going to be an eclipse? Dang where have I been....lol

Just kidding, see one before, not a big deal for me personally but I hope you all enjoy

Tom
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got over 2min. And 30 sec. Of total, It was absolutely beautiful. ::tu::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I learned from sno-flake news TV how to take a selfie of the eclipes before the fls'$ ran us back to work ::sotb:: ::facepalm::
Attachments
IMG_20170821_140608822_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170821_143450262.jpg
IMG_20170821_144738471_HDR.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I have 7 years to get ready for the 2024 eclipse.

Looks like the path of total eclipse will pass right over my house. I won't have to go anywhere except the back yard. ::ds::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

zzyzzogeton wrote:I have 7 years to get ready for the 2024 eclipse.

Looks like the path of total eclipse will pass right over my house. I won't have to go anywhere except the back yard. ::ds::
Me too! Looks like Texas is gonna get a good dose of the 2024 eclipse. It will be on April 8 though so school will be in session - may not be as many tourists as this one.

Ken
Attachments
2024 eclipse path
2024 eclipse path
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”