My Dad

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
espn77

My Dad

Post by espn77 »

I went to Colorado to see my parents this last weekend. Don't seem to make it up there as often as I'd like to. My parents are 73 years old and in great health. Saturday morning got up and ate way to much for breakfast, my mom loves to cook for people, then went and helped my dad deworm his calves that he has on his pasture. Spending time with my dad is such a blessing. It really put a lot of things into perspective of what is important. He is not a rich man by monetary standards but has been blessed beyond measures threw his faith in Christ. He has worked hard his whole life and he finally has his place set up to where the work is done and only has to be maintained. I'll show you some pictures of his place and the only thing that was there when he bought it 12 years ago was a few old trees and the house. He has never hired anyone to build or do anything. Most of the out buildings are materials from old buildings people have given him if he will tare it down.
When I was a kid of about 8 we built a model, toy farm set. It's a replica of a farm that my dad used to own in Minnesota. As he has gotten older he has expanded it into a train set.
Looking back I have to laugh. My dad has always carried a knife but never owned a sharpening stone. Either sharpens his knife on the bench grinder or with a chainsaw file.
Anyway, I'm proud to be my dad's boy. Here are some pictures of his place.
Attachments
20170805_170952.jpg
20170805_101014.jpg
20170805_090525.jpg
20170805_100908.jpg
20170805_101059.jpg
20170805_090634.jpg
20170805_104047.jpg
20170805_170937.jpg
20170805_170239.jpg
XX Case XX

Re: My Dad

Post by XX Case XX »

Great story. Glad you were able to spend time with them. You can tell they take great care of their property it looks fantastic. Cool train set too!! ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Beautiful post espn. ::nod::
American dream come true. Your parents have accomplished a paradise through their hard work and sacrifices I'm sure.
And only in 12 years.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Keith, your dad appears to be quite the architectural artist. Enjoy your time with him. It is irreplaceable.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Great story, Keith and well told. What a blessing to still have parents in your life. ::pray::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have been extremely blessed to have the parents and the upbringing that I did.
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Paladin wrote:Great story, Keith and well told. What a blessing to still have parents in your life. ::pray::

Ray
Amen to that. I wish I did :(
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

You are a very fortunate man, espn.
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Keith your folks have a beautiful place.You are blessed in many ways. ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

You are a lucky man, enjoy your time with your dad!
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Very cool Keith, fantastic looking property, and your feelings for your dad are admirable
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

That's a beautiful home place. Your parents bought a house and parcel of land and have created a paradise for themselves and apparently their grandchildren, as well.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
espn77

Post by espn77 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:That's a beautiful home place. Your parents bought a house and parcel of land and have created a paradise for themselves and apparently their grandchildren, as well.

Charlie Noyes
your the first person to notice that Charlie. those play houses he built and in the sand box there are two conveyor belts that you load the dumptruck on one end and unload at the other. osha certified with guards and all ::facepalm:: would hate for one of the grand kids to loose a finger. They have lots of fun playing at grandma and grandpas house
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Came up to my folks for Christmas and lucky to have a white Christmas. The other picture is my parents green house. -1 this morning.
Attachments
20171221_162739.jpg
20171221_163057.jpg
LanG

Post by LanG »

Awesome post, thanks for sharing! Amazing place your father has. His attention to detail comes through in every pic.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Lan
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Quite a contrast in the photos Keith.Wow -1,that would make a guy think about wearing underware.Merry Christmas and have a save drive home. ::handshake::
Roger
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks lan, Rodger. It sure is nice to be with family. Merry Christmas to you guys
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great story! I missed it the first time around.

My dad and mom are still with us , though my brother and his wife stay in on their place to help take care of them.
At about age 60 dad bought 5 acres, remodeled the little cabin so they could live in it while he built a two-story house. He also built a barn and a few other buildings. They are 88 now and mom has cancer and dad has diabetes. they have been married for 68 years. Sometimes I think they only stay alive to take care of each other. But mom is ready to go "Home" and I think that will follow close behind.

Awesome story! Enjoy your parents while they're here, time slips away so quickly.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It is crystal clear that your parents are awesome. espn, I hope you thank the Lord every day for the great gift he blessed you with in your folks.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”