computer down

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

computer down

Post by stockman »

will get another one. It came on today won't last long. Talk later I hope.

Harold
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: computer down

Post by Old Folder »

I know the feeling Harold.
May be time for an upgrade.
Attachments
NO aapk conn.png
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

To quote Larry the Cable Guy "I don't care who you are, now that's funny right there" :lol:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Society has changed so rapidly. Now, not having a functioning computer/internet connection means you are cut off from the rest of the world. Ongoing emails or business deals stop and the other party often falsely assumes you have lost interest and are avoiding them.
Best of luck in getting yourself online again.
kj
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I know the feeling. Windows Vista desktop running poorly on the internet. My provider said to buy a new wifi router. Old one may have been getting warm and stopping so I would unplug the power cord a second and try again. adware was loaded up with too much information so removed it. Hard drive said 35% fragmented and also the registery. Ran two brands of free defragment programs. Re-installed chrome browser. dramatix improvement but not quite like it was or could be? I burned a copy of all of my files and photos to CD's first and keep a copy in the barn.

In summery before you buy a new one "knife money" yours may just need a good clean up and removal of old files etc. choking it up. I would like to upgrade to a new one with windows 10 with 64 bit processor but it does run great with a very good monitor. so if I do probably just a mini tower only to save money. I also have a laptop with Vista and a new tablet and cell phone so in no hurry.
Bob
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I purchased a Windows 10 system a couple years ago. Very happy with it.
I put my old Windows XP system in the garage, use it to surf but not to transfer communication due to Microsoft's inability to support it.

Below is a list of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems with activation dates.
Microsoft sure knows how to take our knife Allowance from us. :x

Windows 1.0 (1985)
Windows 2.0 (1987)
Windows 3.x (1990, 1992)
Windows 95 (1995)
Windows 98 (1998)
Windows ME (2000)
Windows XP (2001)
Windows Vista (2006)
Windows 7 (2009)
Windows 8 (2012)
Windows 8.1 (2013)
Windows 10 (2015)

Does anyone use an Apple computer system for aapk.
Are you happy with Apple and how do you compare it with Microsoft Windows? ::tu:: ::td::
Just wondering.
Dan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I'm doing Win 10 on desktop and laptop and it only hurts me bad once in awhile. Important update! Ok. Hmmm.... that disconnected my backup external drive and also my genealogy program and my scanner. Thanx. So...
I got this hotlink today in an email newsletter from PCWorld. If I had an old tower computer I think I would try to do this thing:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2918397/ ... estof_html
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just read the article linked to in post above. I do not understand what it says. I hope i am not the only one.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I'm onboard with you Joe.
I just read Cal's hotlink also.
To save hyper-space, I believe my picture below best describes my understanding of PCWorlds link.
Attachments
HUH?
HUH?
index.jpg (6.77 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
Dan
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

While I did not read indepth both pages here is what I know. Linux has been around for years. Red Hat is or was an free open source operating system, meaning that they asked users to try and to add information to make it much better. Many people removed windows for Linux and thought it was much better. Win. 95-XP time period. Most Linux I beleive is free? Googles Chrome and Android is all based on Linux writen for them. I used to find used computers and monitors in the apartment dumpster "usualy not working" but good for parts, or at many garage sales. Most did not have a modem or not able to do the internet. I beleive that they had to be a 386 minimum to go online? I still have a hard drive with Milleniun on it. It was not a stable or good program. There was lots of software and game disks sometimes free at garage sales but most of it did not work for me except for the encyclopdia sets. Never got into gaming but lots of solitare.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

If you really want to know more about Linux, read this ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
Although honestly, to most it will be gobbledygook.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I confess; I did not read any of the material from the link I posted; just saved it for future pondering. My computer guru James G bails me out once in awhile when things go awry. Mostly I just plug along with Win 10 and no real disasters yet. Back in the day (1986?) my wife and I built a 286 from scratch. Remember dot matrix printers? In that year I executed my very first successful email. Typed it out and viewed it in white text on a tiny greenscreen monitor. Reminds me of Monitor and Merrimack (look that up). Good luck to all of you out there with your own digital world; it is a bit of a morass.
Black Lion

Post by Black Lion »

For the most part Linux is a GUI (graphic user interface) version of Unix which is/was CLI based (command line interface). Most people probably first heard of Linux via the movie Jurassic Park; the system running the park was Linux based...supposedly. Unix was a kernal/shell operating system where the kernal was the controlling unit that loaded/unloaded functions into its shell as required while a program ran which allowed a system to run faster. The shell items would be drivers, descriptors and executables and they would be readily available in C source code for any user using a similar platform as Unix. Other such platforms are OS9, OSK and OSX to name a few. Anyone that used a lowly Radio Shack Color Computer under OS9 would get an audible clue on how the system worked just by listening to the floppy drive load and unload while running a program. This allowed small memory systems to run programs that would otherwise require considerably more memory.

As for replacing a computer ones best bet is to purchase a refurbished computer from some outlet. I've been running an HP (Compaq) W98SE machine for years now and it is a refurb from Heartland of America. All I added was more memory and it's been humming along for years without problems. Since the advent of HTML5 and the new version of Java that old system was falling short on some web sites and unable to open others so...back to Heartland I went and bought another refurb HP system. The 98 machine was under $80 back in the day and this newer machine (SFF 6305) was under $140. Both systems came with keyboard and mouse.I'm not hyping Heartland; just saying it was/is my source.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

funny
Attachments
tech support.png
tech support.png (142.9 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Cute.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”