13 Years

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
RobesonsRme.com

Re: 13 Years

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I have no idea how or when Bryan developed his interest in pocketknives, but just think about this for a moment, AAPK was created and is maintained by a wonderfully accomplished man that cannot even hold a knife in his hands.

That thought humbles me a great deal.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Charlie,
Bryan told me that he had developed an interest in pocketknives prior to his accident.
But you are right, it's very humbling when you think of what he's done and yet he can't hold a knife in his hands.
It also makes me feel really blessed that I can use hold the knife and use it, in spite of the problems I have with my hands. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

First, thanks again to everyone for the encouraging words & support! I really was not expecting so many membership upgrades. AAPK has come a long way on an extremely tight budget over the years. I'm excited to put the funds received to good use on improvements. I plan to stay frugal & get the most bang for the buck!! ::tu::

Regarding my condition. These days, I don't usually speak a word of it because I really don't feel like it is limiting in most things that are important to me. In some ways, I see it as kind of a blessing in disguise. It has most certainly had a large impact on the kind of person I am & I'm pretty sure that person is a better person that what he/I would have been in normal circumstances.

I do have quadriplegia. More specifically, I have a c6 level incomplete diagnosis. Quadriplegia is often not as bad as many envision it to be & as far as quadriplegia goes, I am extraordinarily lucky. I can feel near normal from head to toe. My largest impairment is movement. Neuropathic pain was always a big problem as well, but I've learned to cope well with that. Some days are still overwhelming, but most are not. Mind over matter, I guess.

If not for the situation, I would probably be skeptical that there could be such a pain as neuropathic pain. Very strange thing!!!

Shoulders work fairly well. biceps are strong, triceps are very week, but my left is strong enough for me to extend that arm better than most c6/7 level quadriplegics. Wrist extension works / nothing works functionally below that level.

I've improved in many areas since the early & even mid-point years of my injury.

My current typing situation has improved from my early injury years. I currently use a stick that extends from my palm & you would certainly be surprised at how fast I can type with it! I'm definitely dealing with overuse problems in the shoulders from typing & everything else demanded of them, but I really don't let it bother me too much. No different that aches & pains we all have from aging & overusing our joints. I do unfortunately sometimes keep some responses limited because of it.

The wrist extension I have allows for what is called tenodesis which kind of works ok for lightly gripping things. I can hold a knife (kind of fondle it around), but I really cannot use one safely (I have tried on occasion with kitchen fixed blades & I've been able to open a box or two that was really calling through a lot of work & patients). I can also hold a fork, spoon, my wife, TP, & even a beer on occasion. What more does a guy need, really :mrgreen:

Here is a video that a brave fella put on youtube that is near my level. I am slightly stronger in that I have some tricep control & probably stronger shoulders (just in case anyone is interested)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bjDhLdpCfo

I did in fact develop my love for knives prior to injury. Always was a big hunter / fisherman. Had a boat, loads of tackle, plenty of guns, archery equipment, & plenty of knives for all things outdoors since I was old enough to save & buy 'em! First job was in an archery shop that had a display of consignment knives when I worked there believe it or not.

To clarify my education... Dale was close, but I ended up finishing with a degree in Finance / Accounting. I have the credit hrs to take CPA exam, but never did it as I've been concentrating mostly on software design & programming. I can do programming from home or anywhere with a computer & power. The flexibility of not having to get out everyday works well for my situation.

AAPK did in fact originate as a learning project. It was the first project I started when learning website design & development. The original store system was all custom designed & coded. Millions of dollars in sales went through it before it was recently retired. I've always thought that was cool. The new store platform is a fork of existing software. The customization that went into it so far is probably more involved that the built from scratch version, but it's better.

I've seen a lot of self taught programmers who are among the top of their field. I'm nowhere near these folks, but I've studied books & devoured hours of video lectures / teaching from those who are superior to me. I think that's given me adequate skills IMO, with plenty of room for improvement. :mrgreen:

Sorry for the boring life story. Just kind of wanted to update exactly where things stand.

Edit: I'll also add that I have trace muscle movement in some lower extremities. I can sort of wiggle my toes, flex hamstring in one leg slightly & things like that. I've worked these to death, but never was able to develop them to be functionally useful. Probably should keep at it, but I kind of slack off on that kind of therapy these days.

Also. I'm blessed with a fantastic wife, friends & family. Great support system! AAPK friends included. Wife & I have been together since we were teenagers, but didn't get married officially until 2010 8)

Sincerely,
Bryan
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I have no idea how or when Bryan developed his interest in pocketknives, but just think about this for a moment, AAPK was created and is maintained by a wonderfully accomplished man that cannot even hold a knife in his hands.

That thought humbles me a great deal.

Charlie Noyes
orvet wrote:Charlie,
Bryan told me that he had developed an interest in pocketknives prior to his accident.
But you are right, it's very humbling when you think of what he's done and yet he can't hold a knife in his hands.
It also makes me feel really blessed that I can use hold the knife and use it, in spite of the problems I have with my hands. ::nod::
Charlie and Dale,

Please allow me to preface my comment on your profound post input and responses.

Charlie,

I really appreciate the fact that you mentioned that Bryan assisted in recovering your coveted Robeson website. I am a CASE only guy but I browse the forum a lot but may not dig deep into knives other than CASE. I know that you are the "authority" on that maker, I mean that with all due and earned respect, and that the website, though I never visited IS a huge resource to the Robeson collection community.

Dale,

Still reeling from the post that you "re-posted" regarding Bryan's drive, passion and "selflessness" nature that deserves earned respect and support, no doubt, in my opinion. For all of us members, active, idle, contributing, lurking, visiting, etc or otherwise. I always had the appreciation there for what I reap from the forum. I have some great friends that I would have never met without this forum. We have other interests besides knives in common such as values, morals, beliefs, differences in point of views, other hobbies and interests and friendship. Cant use enough words to explain how I benefit from this forum and in all honesty, knife knowledge is huge but pales in comparison. I am just glad others know what goes on behind the scenes to make all this forum that we enjoy happen.

As you know I have been active in this thread and might I add pretty vocal about my feelings regarding the new membership structure and my respect and gratitude for Bryan's contribution to my life. He may not know it as such but that is what it is to me for all the previously stated reasons.

I have looked through real old threads when AAPK was born where Brian and new members went back and forth. It is amazing to see the transformation.

That said, does anyone know what brand, pattern, handle type, etc that is Bryan's preference? Bryan if you have a preference and can provide a response after all you do, please advise. If not you are getting what we are giving (I would insert a smiley here if that was my MO, but it ain't)

Interested in doing more than just the "membership" to show my appreciation personally, beyond a forum post and a "Dear Bryan" letter in the mail.

I am not a rich man but I have to say, if he would have offered a "Plutonium" member status and associated fee I would have opted for that and if I could not afford it, would have sold whatever knives I had to facilitate that.

Some may perceive this statement as "I think I am high on my horse". Those people don't know me. To the contrary, I know what is important in life to me and it ain't knives as much as we all enjoy them.

Not better than anyone else on this site, "Supporting Member" or not, regardless of level or none. I think most will understand that is not my intent. The few that may perceive this as arrogance or whatever, well no offense but we disagree (that is the nicest way I can say it without risking being admonished or banned).

Regards, Jerry

EDIT:

Hello Bryan, I see you posted while I was writing this. I hope nothing I say is a contradiction or adverse to what you just posted. I am letting it fly as is based on all the previous posts prior to yours. I type real slow and need to try to be articulate in my words. That is my goal anyway. This was a response to what has been posted without reading your post yet. Too much went into it to undo now.

What type of knife /knives patterns, etc do you favor? If I have a knife that you have wanted but not owned, I would be honored to send it your way.

Regards my friend, I am grateful to you for all the reasons I have stated. Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Bryan wrote: Sorry for the boring life story. Just kind of wanted to update exactly where things stand.

Sincerely,
Bryan
Bryan, your humility is admirable but not necessary. You've accomplished much in spite of your situation. More than most that don't have your limitations. Be proud. You've earned it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you for sharing your story, Bryan. It certainly is not boring. I really enjoyed reading what you had to say.
Thanks again for providing this great forum for us.
Joe
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Bryan thanks for sharing your story and thanks for aapk. ::handshake::
big monk

Post by big monk »

I agree with all said --- thanks for all that you do Bryan & may God watch over and bless you all of your days ::pray:: --- have a great day my friends**____________Monk ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Bryan I had known your story previously but I must say that I was absolutely captivated by your update. What a truly great man you are to have accomplished what you have here. I would add that I hope it gives you a wee bit of joy to know that the website you created brings a great deal of joy and a sense if belonging to a special family for the members here. ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=52917

Folks, I am offering up a knife in the above auction thread, with all proceeds going directly to Bryan to utilize as he sees fit to help offset the costs associated with running AAPK. I just wanted to post a link to it here as I am not sure how often the auction section gets visited. Feel free to link it elsewhere on the site if you think it will help ::tu:: .
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Reading through this thread has reminded me why AAPK is a special place to be.
Thank you Bryan.
Mike
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

wazu013 wrote:Reading through this thread has reminded me why AAPK is a special place to be.
Thank you Bryan.
Mike
Well said my friend, well said.

I hope life finds you well.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

zp4ja wrote:
wazu013 wrote:Reading through this thread has reminded me why AAPK is a special place to be.
Thank you Bryan.
Mike
Well said my friend, well said.

I hope life finds you well.

Regards, Jerry
Thanks Jerry.
It's all good down here. Every day is a bonus.
:)
Mike
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Mike. Good attitude my friend.

Not sure I have seen this posted thus far...

I have been a active member here over 5 years. Some members have more posts. Some 2005' members have few posts and stop in once in a while. That is cool in my opinion.

That said, there been a few times that due to upgrades or issues, we were unable to access the forum. We had an transition to no "photo bucket" type links were allowed and we lost all the pictures on the forum, direct post or not. 404 Internet error as I recall additionally. There have been upgrades done and some minor forum service interruption in my opinion.
When this occurred, some members including myself to some minor extent were posting subsequent posts when the forum came back online. Can't recall that I actually post a reply to theses posts or not but I have to tell you, some members were jonesing like a crack addict when we came back online.
They missed it plain and simple.
If a guy has financial issues, kids to raise, don't visit often, medications to buy, things or reason that they don't wish to share, etc, that is understandable and not my business. I do not look down on anyone for their choices whether I agree with them or not. Everyone is free to do what they wish. Only real impact I see to free members is they are limited to the Advertisement forum, nothing else.

I saw a comment early on in the discussion that used the word "ambivalent". Member has been here for years all on Bryan's dime and I guess no clue that there are associated costs. Then if said members start posting new pickups, we obviously know where there priorities lies. But hey, between them and God.

Here is my question, what if AAPK went dark tomorrow and never came back due to not having the funds to keep the lights on?

Jerry
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Jerry I for one would miss it, that said I've got one forum that is more or less dead I think mostly due to facebook, and although I miss it I guess could join it on facebook. Several sites I visited and took part in tied up with one or all of the facebook type things and if this one does I'll probably lose it to. ::shrug::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Business-Does-Not-Need-Facebook-Page.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Business-Does-Not-Need-Facebook-Page.jpg
::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: and did I say ::barf::
Roger
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.........what's facebook???.............. ::shrug:: ..............
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

WOW...and here I thought I was the only one left in the entire world that was NOT ON FACEBOOK (and never will be).

All my fellow kindred spirits are right here on AAPK....AND you also like pocketknives...DOUBLE JACKPOT BONUS!!!

You guys ROCK! ::ds:: ::super_happy:: ::groove::

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
big monk

Post by big monk »

No Facebook for me either ---- don't text,tweeter,nor tooter*** --- it's all I can do to stay on this dang ""puter"" ::shrug:: --- have a great day my friends,_____________________Monk ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

No FB here either!! ::td:: Don't need all that nonsense out there!!! ::tounge:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

big monk wrote:No Facebook for me either ---- don't text,tweeter,not tooter*** --- it's all I can do to stay on this dang ""puter"" ::shrug:: --- have a great day my friends,_____________________Monk ::tu::
You and I and it appears others are cut from the same cloth. I do text out of necessity but dislike it. Resisted till about 5 years ago when Dad was dying and my 5 sisters choose texting as their primary form of communication. Never tweeted, been on Facebook or any other type of thing like that. Any app on my phone I have can pre-loaded and most of them got deleted.

And I know this will shock everyone but I use cash 90% of the time and never have used my debit card for a single pack of gum for $1.49 at the convenience store.

I believe Monk and I did a knife deal awhile back if I recall. Price was 100 bucks shipped.

Whatever member it was, I received a crisp 100 dollar bill in an envelope. That's more my style.

Jerry
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Years ago a sister persuaded me to join FB. Within 48 hours I received dozens of messages from strangers wanting me as a friend. I promptly cancelled and have never looked back. Leaving FB was a hassle. Their biggest threat was that I would not be allowed to rejoin at a later date. To which I replied, Hooray.
Black Lion

Post by Black Lion »

jmh58 wrote:No FB here either!! ::td:: Don't need all that nonsense out there!!! ::tounge:: John :D
I started a facebook page/whatever way back when thinking it might be a viable storage and share site for my Vietnam project pics. Then I read their policy and such on things posted on the site. Account was then deleted and haven't been back since. All the robo-requests were a PITA as well.

::td::
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”