What Do You Call It?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What Do You Call It?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm fixin to mow my yard, then I'm gonna give my neighbor a holler an go for a beer at a beer joint.

Do you shout or holler in your neck o' the woods?
Is it a bar, tavern, or joint?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Typical conversation in Texas:

"We're gonna be in your neck of the woods next weekend"

"Well, good! Holler at us when you get in town!"

"Holler" just means contact or call us......without being too committed.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Do y'all call it pot liquor or potlikker. I'll bet there are some folks that don't have a clue about this one.
Casings are the things you put the fresh sausage meat in, then you hang 'em in the smoke house. There are also window and door casings and there are water well casings. Casing referring to a tire is a new one to me.
Cairo in southern Georgia is also pronounced like the syrup.
Bars and taverns are often referred to as Juke Joints by the old folks or sometimes they are simply called "Jukes". There aren't too many Jukes, seein' how our county is supposed to be a dry county.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Fixin' is one of those no thought words. You've said it all your life and just don't think about it. At least that's what I'm goin' with.

We pronounced "tire" as "tar".

It's yard. A lawn is a fancy, well tended yard.

And it was "got" instead of "have". Example; "You got new tars on your car."

Cairo, IL, the farthest south city in Illinois is pronounced Karo like the syrup. Cairo is farther south than about 85% - 90% of Kentucky, just about dead even with Bowling Green which is 23 miles north of the Tennessee state line.
Yep tar here too, and got instead of have.

Agree about the yard thing too. I use my lawn mower to mow my yard.

I've been to Cairo, crossed the bridge on my way to Seikston, MO. I'm about 30 miles north of Bowling Green myself, but you can't get to Cairo from here. Ya have to go somewhere else first. Lol
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Holler (verb) means to contact someone here.

Holler (noun) is the low area that runs between hills.

Folks say bar or joint either one here.

TF it's potlikker. Especially if it's from boiled cabbage or turnip greens. We pour it over our cornbread!

Do you say: you all, you'uns, yinz, you guys, or y'all? We say y'all.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I was on a concall with some folks in Andover, MA and some folks in Roseville, CA several years ago. We were killing some time before the meeting, and I told them I was eating lunch (we worked from home). They asked what I was eating, and I said a pimento cheese sandwich. Of course, being from Texas, I said "a puh-minna cheese sandwich". They all said "A what?" It took me 10 minutes to explain to them what the heck a pimento cheese sandwich was. They said it sounded gross. lol

I told them they had obviously never been to The Masters golf tournament.

Before that day, I didn't know that pimento cheese was a Southern thing, as I had been eating it all my life (and still love it). But it has to be either Price's Pimento Cheese or my Mom's. Mom puts a little jalapeno in hers.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Pimento cheese sandwiches are a fond memory of my childhood. When I got out of the Corps, my parents had moved here so this is where I landed. I recall looking for pimento cheese in the local grocery stores and coming up empty. I hadn't thought about it for years and then out of the clear blue sky, you bring it up. That sent me on a Google trip, looking for a recipe. Just about everyplace it turned up it was called "The caviar of the south". And then I ran across an article that said pimento cheese didn't originate in the south at all. It got it's start in New York during the last half of the 19th century (around 1870). Then it was cream cheese (French Neufchâtel) and imported Spanish pimientos.
Read the whole story here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/hist ... heese.html
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I haven't seen pimento cheese in years!
It was a special treat as a kid because it wasn't cheap.
Sometimes mom would get it in slices like lunch meat; it was called pimento cheese loaf. The other was made by Kraft and came in a glass jar that was used as a drinking class when empty. That was mom and my favorite, we ate it on soda crackers (aka saltines). We were the only ones in the family who liked pimento cheese.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks for that article, Jerry. I was reading the comments, and the debate on using Velveeta in the recipes. Seems to be a point of contention. My Grandmother, Aunt, and Mom all use(d) Velveeta in their pimento cheese recipes.
Mike

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Unk, did you notice that during the first half of the 20th century, it was popular nation wide? Sometime shortly before WWII it started falling out of favor and it wasn't until after the war it started to become the "caviar of the south".
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Pahmintah or pahminner cheese (how we say it here) is one of my all time favorite things. We never had store bought. I had no idea that it wasn't eaten everywhere. Momma always made it when we had chili.

Cuz, my momma melted velveeta and mixed in pimentos (often we made our own from peppers outbid the garden), miracle whip, and sugar. Man I love pimento cheese.
Robert E. Lee
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I was introduced to perminter cheese sammiges in grade school, they served chilli onced a week in the winter and had a choice of a peanut butter or pimento cheese sandwich with it. To this day when we have chilli a peanut butter or pimento cheese sandwich is on the menu sometimes both. We hollar, grandma and pa lived in the holler. Grandma never owned a hosepipe got her water from the spring branch. ::handshake::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I never thought about pimiento cheese not being available everywhere! It's been a common staple all my life. I grew up on it. My mom made it. My wife makes it with grated American cheese mixed with grated sharp cheddar, and real mayonnaise - no Miiracle whip, no Velveeta.

Around here it's common for restaurants to have a gourmet foo-foo pimiento cheese sandwich on the menu. They add ingredients like chopped pecans, celery, diced onion, peppers and other assorted amendments. One place has a pimiento cheese panini. I guess that's supposed to justify their outlandish prices. ::shrug:: I don't care for most of it. ::barf::

Just give me plain old homemade "pimina cheese". If you want to dress it up maybe add a few jalepeno pepper slices and bacon, with lettuce and sliced tomatoes, on toasted bread. If you buy it ready made at the grocery store, Mrs. Price's is the gold standard by which all others are measured. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Law! Y'all done starved me to death. I'm gonna have to leave for lunch and go buy some pimento cheese and a loaf of bread. Maybe an RC to warsh it down.
Robert E. Lee
Black Lion

Post by Black Lion »

My "introduction" to pimento cheese came in C rations. I haven't craved for it since but did eat it quite a bit and it was not something I disliked.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Something else I say without thinking about it is "jist" for "just".
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”