How Smart Are You?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Captain O

Re: How Smart Are You?

Post by Captain O »

41 out of 50 (Master's Degree) I spent 10 years in college, I earned it.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Colonel26 wrote:IMG_0274.PNG

I was off by one year on the Wright Brothers, a couple of the astronomy and paleontology ones got me too. Oh well.
That one about geocentrism sounds like atheory from the middle ages. What's up with that? ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

well, it asks if I'm a Professor.... and should consider a career change. :lol: I don't think so.

47 out of 50 here. Funny thing is, I blew 2 of them and knew it right after I clicked on my selection, because of how they worded the choice.

From the results screen:

How Smart Are You? Take This Quiz to Find Out!
47 of 50 right
Amazing! Are you a professor? If not, you may want to consider a career change.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

gsmith7158 wrote:

I was off by one year on the Wright Brothers, a couple of the astronomy and paleontology ones got me too. Oh well.
That one about geocentrism sounds like atheory from the middle ages. What's up with that? ::shrug::
You are correct sir. Geocentric is the term further believe that the earth was the center of the solar system or that the sun revolved around the earth.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Colonel26 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:

You are correct sir. Geocentric is the term further believe that the earth was the center of the solar system or that the sun revolved around the earth.
I would think that would be an enigmatic question and a moot point in light of what we now know. I want a Mulligan on that one. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

gsmith7158 wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
I would think that would be an enigmatic question and a moot point in light of what we now know. I want a Mulligan on that one. :D
It's historical. Geocentrism was the astronomical theory du jour for a long time (like 12 centuries?). It took Copernicus to finally convince everyone with mathematics, that heliocentric was correct.
NRA Life/Endowment
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Yeah, I remember the theory I just didn't connect the name with it. :oops:
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

The one that irked me, was the Third Reich question: Regime or Strategy. I impulsively clicked on Strategy and the moment I did it, I realized they were looking for Regime. I could easily make a compelling argument that it actually was a strategy to re-align with their heritage in purist form, with their new "future" vision. The test was looking for the simpler answer, that it was a regime name.
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

CheckSix wrote:The one that irked me, was the Third Reich question: Regime or Strategy. I impulsively clicked on Strategy and the moment I did it, I realized they were looking for Regime. I could easily make a compelling argument that it actually was a strategy to re-align with their heritage in purist form, with their new "future" vision. The test was looking for the simpler answer, that it was a regime name.
I guess that's the advantage of not being real bright. I didn't overthink it. I just clicked on Regime and continued on down the road.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

jerryd6818 wrote: I guess that's the advantage of not being real bright. I didn't overthink it. I just clicked on Regime and continued on down the road.
It's funny that you mention this. It's actually a real issue sometimes.

I'm a voracious reader of books. I probably average reading 25 per year. I have a library of digital and actual books, of over 7000 titles.

And by the way, in terms of tests, that one was pretty darn easy. I've taken some IQ/Mensa tests, that were truly ball busters.
NRA Life/Endowment
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

CheckSix wrote:The one that irked me, was the Third Reich question: Regime or Strategy. I impulsively clicked on Strategy and the moment I did it, I realized they were looking for Regime. I could easily make a compelling argument that it actually was a strategy to re-align with their heritage in purist form, with their new "future" vision. The test was looking for the simpler answer, that it was a regime name.
Yes all the questions were very straight forward and generally this quizzes try to throw you a curve on occasion so there were a couple that I knew but outsmarted myself.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Alright! you guys have fun! I'm goin' fishing first thing in the morning, gone for 5 days. (Jerry, I'm fishing Lake Shelbyville.) 8)
NRA Life/Endowment
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Jus so yawls know I int dumb :D
Attachments
image.png
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I got 33 out of 50. I suppose I could have done better, maybe I was over-thinking the questions. ::shrug::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Having the lowest score in this thread (23 of 50) I thought.....yeah, uh huh....

Maybe I should ask a mod to remove my score so I'm not the dumbest in the group, but it is what it is, and being the dumbest
ain't no different than being the smartest.....we all put our pants on the same way and we'll all take a dirt nap, and ain't no scores there!
(Obvious;y only the dumbest says that, the smartest never does.....)
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Scott, that's not a real measure of how smart you are or at least about the stuff that really counts. It's just an indicator of how much crap you've been exposed to over the years and how well you remember it. More in the line of book learning, not life learning. Given a choice, I'll take life learning every day of the week.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Scott, in addition to what Jerry said there is something more . This test was not, repeat NOT, an intelligence test. It is a test of general knowledge, not of IQ. For example, there are brilliant people, scientists of one type or another for example who could not tell you what day of the week it is let alone how many moons the planet Mars has. [Unless their science was astronomy.] There are corporations who pay big money to these intellectual wizards, but then have to appoint someone to manage that money for them, otherwise it will be misspent, lost, bills will not be paid, etc. They simply lack practical intelligence in spite of their brilliance. [See the movie No Highway In the Sky for this kind of personality.]

There is now the realization that there different kinds of intelligence: creative intelligence, mechanical intelligence, on and on. Then too what are we make of savants, the kind of person who at age 3 has mastered musical composition? The reality is that our brains are still a mysterious organ and we are in the earliest stages of exploring it.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That's right Scott . I will bet the creators of that quiz couldn't tell you a thing about fat wood and how to start a fire with it! ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

gsmith7158 wrote:That's right Scott . I will bet the creators of that quiz couldn't tell you a thing about fat wood and how to start a fire with it! ::nod::
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Black Lion

Post by Black Lion »

The other thing to keep in mind is that the questions each of us saw came from a pool and we, more than likely, did not see the same question set.

I kept waiting for a climate change question to pop up...or some way to blame the Russians
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Black Lion wrote:The other thing to keep in mind is that the questions each of us saw came from a pool and we, more than likely, did not see the same question set.

I kept waiting for a climate change question to pop up...or some way to blame the Russians
Ain't that the truth Black Lion. I will bet Al Gore is really miffed that there wasn't a question in there citing him as the inventor of the internet.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Now here is an instance that just goes to show you "Stupid is as Stupid does",no matter how much you scored on the test. I ordered a knife the other day from Shepard Hills Cutlery. I was checking my email today and noticed an email from them. Dear Mr. Smith we are having trouble completing your order because of an incomplete mailing address ::dang:: . I had put my house number but no street name. :oops: . We'll I fired an email quickly back and rectified the situation now I think I will go take my Ritalin.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

gsmith7158 wrote: now I think I will go take my Ritalin.
Along with four fingers of Ezra Brooks.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote: now I think I will go take my Ritalin.
Along with four fingers of Ezra Brooks.
Indeed! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Well that was a waste of 20 minutes ....

38/50

Lotsa dumb luck answers, and this thread giving away a couple of answers.
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”