Old Boat and Motor With Sitting Syndrome

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Old Boat and Motor With Sitting Syndrome

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

In February, 1975, Sarah and I bought a 16 ft 1974 Ranger Tri-Hull bass boat with a 1975 (I think) Mercury 650 65HP outboard motor. I think the price was $3400.00.

We found out Sarah was pregnant with our first child a few days after we bought it. The boat was still in prep at the dealer's and I told Sarah we should cancel the purchase. She wouldn't hear of it. ::tu::

We have had some great times in that boat.

It has always been garaged.

Unfortunately, it has not been out of the garage since 2005 and that's the last dated sticker on the bow.

The tires were flat and could not be re-inflated. I bought new wheels and tires for the trailer and got those on a couple of weeks ago, just so I could get it out of the basement and to a shop, if feasible.

I know there are things that have to be done to the motor to get it up and running again, such as changing the water pump, and servicing the upper and lower units.

The insulation on the power cable from the console to the engine is dry-rotted. I have no idea if that is available

This kind of work is, I think, beyond me.

I've talked to the only guy in this area that's even willing to talk about working on it. He says I could easily put a thousand dollars or more into the motor and he doesn't think it's worth it.

As I told him, I cannot afford a new bass rig of any level of quality, nor can I put a new 65 or 75 horse motor on the rig I have.

Anybody here ever tackle a boat and motor in a similar condition?

I'm retired now. I'd like to get back out on the water and do some fishing.

Is this even possible?

Or should I just get rid of it and park another car in the basement?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
fergusontd

Re: Old Boat and Motor With Sitting Syndrome

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: Charlie Noyes, I'd shop around for a good used motor most Marineas would have an idea of what you need. As far as your power cable that should be an easy fix. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Charlie - my thought is that if you want to have a hobby of working on boats and motors, then that boat will be a good start. If you want to have a hobby of boating and fishing then buy a newer rig.
Mel
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Charlie I'm in agreement with Mel, old boats and old motors CAN become money pits. I noticed you said some fishing if you are not going to fish regularly most marinas rent boats, just a thought ymmv. ::handshake::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”