On April 18th, 1942....75 years ago today...

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

On April 18th, 1942....75 years ago today...

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

...Jimmie Doolittle and seventy-nine other U.S. Air Force crewman took off from the U.S.S. Hornet to bomb Tokyo and other Japanese cities in retaliation for the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

https://spectator.org/how-doolittle-did ... years-ago/

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: On April 18th, 1942....75 years ago today...

Post by carrmillus »

..a great day in American history!!..isn't one of them still alive???...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

A great group of Americans.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Yes. He's 101 years of age.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/04/ ... 492524671/

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Any WWII service member that was eighteen years of age and enlisted in 1941, would be about ninety-four years old today.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Thanks for posting that Charlie. Amazing men they were.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Yes. He's 101 years of age.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/04/ ... 492524671/

Charlie
...thanks, Charlie!!..I was looking up ww2 stuff the other day and found out chuck yeager and his wingman, bud Anderson are still alive..both are getting close to 100!!!........ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

A lone goblet remains upright.

Paul
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Interestingly, the surviving member is Dick Cole, Colonel Doolittle's co-pilot.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

This is especially for my friend Carrmillus. I sent a copy of one of my Doolittle Raider books to Frank Kaeppler one of the Raiders, to sign back in 1998. He wrote back saying that if I didn't mind he'd hold onto my book and take it to the upcoming reunion and have all the Raiders sign it. He sent it back a few months later along with an interesting letter. It is signed by Gen. Doolittle's son and one of the Chinese who aided them when they crashed in China. Doolittle went from a Lt. Colonel to a Lt. General during the war. These guys were my heroes. God bless every one of them.
Attachments
image.jpeg
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow Mike! That is amazing. What a treasure you have there.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations Mike. That is a wonderful memento and the signature page is a historic document.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Wow! is all I can think of to say. Wowie even! Like Wade said, that is a true treasure of a lifetime. Without those guys and others like 'em, where would we be today?

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thank you. After the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII I wrote to every surviving ace and noted WWII aviator I could think of and asked them to sign a book or photo for me. All of them replied and were very generous with their time often writing letters. I have Flying Tigers, Yamamoto Mission, Enola Gay crew etc signed memoriabilia. Dutch Van Kirk's, navigator of the Enola Gay hometown is near me and once he called my house and told me wife he was giving a talk on Memorial Day and if I'd come early we'd talk and he'd sign some things for me. That's the kind of guys they were. Old School, reared in The Depression, tough and capable yet considerate and friendly. I worshipped that generation, my Dad's generation and the world is a worse place without them.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

vikingdog wrote:Thank you. After the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII I wrote to every surviving ace and noted WWII aviator I could think of and asked them to sign a book or photo for me. All of them replied and were very generous with their time often writing letters. I have Flying Tigers, Yamamoto Mission, Enola Gay crew etc signed memoriabilia. Dutch Van Kirk's, navigator of the Enola Gay hometown is near me and once he called my house and told me wife he was giving a talk on Memorial Day and if I'd come early we'd talk and he'd sign some things for me. That's the kind of guys they were. Old School, reared in The Depression, tough and capable yet considerate and friendly. I worshipped that generation, my Dad's generation and the world is a worse place without them.
They truly were the 'Greatest Generation'! Makes my monitor blur up just reading and typing this.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

vikingdog wrote:This is especially for my friend Carrmillus. I sent a copy of one of my Doolittle Raider books to Frank Kaeppler one of the Raiders, to sign back in 1998. He wrote back saying that if I didn't mind he'd hold onto my book and take it to the upcoming reunion and have all the Raiders sign it. He sent it back a few months later along with an interesting letter. It is signed by Gen. Doolittle's son and one of the Chinese who aided them when they crashed in China. Doolittle went from a Lt. Colonel to a Lt. General during the war. These guys were my heroes. God bless every one of them.
.....mike, thanks for sharing this with us!!!,that is a real treasure, I know you are proud to have it!!!........ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............................
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Just spent a few spare minutes reading this thread. Really good stuff. As a zoomie, we always heard Doolittle's name mentioned often, but sadly I did not know the details behind his raid. Thanks for sharing that.

Mike, that is amazing. Sadly, today's generation is more interested in Kim K's autograph than that of real heroes.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Great story about real heros, thanks for sharing. ::tu::
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Incredible story, Mike! Thanks for sharing.
:)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It never ceases to amaze me, the people I get to associate with just by being a member of AAPK. Some directly, some by proxy (the heroes mentioned in this thread), some uber smart, some very talented in one way or another but above all, most everyone is a good human being. Lucky me.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:It never ceases to amaze me, the people I get to associate with just by being a member of AAPK. Some directly, some by proxy (the heroes mentioned in this thread), some uber smart, some very talented in one way or another but above all, most everyone is a good human being. Lucky me.
.........let me be the first to second this, jerry!!!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ......................

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”