Are There Any FOOTBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
FRJ

Re: Are There Any FOOTBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by FRJ »

X3 ... I will not be watching. :x
Joe
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..........I can't believe ANYBODY would watch something where the players refuse to stand for the national anthem(and not punished) and the nfl refuses to run an add about veterans!!!.......I had just as soon watch the cracks dry up after a rain!!............... ::td:: ::pray:: :shock: :( :roll: ::doh:: ::barf:: ::facepalm:: ....................
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

garddogg56 wrote:How's bout a fine old Hammer brand from the 40'sblades fine pearls a mess ::undecided::
That's more than fair GD. I like it.
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Is this fun or what!
steve99f
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Two halves ::hmm::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Yeah GD I know. Somewhat concerned. Looks like the ref are keeping the flags in their pockets. Works for me.
steve99f
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Of course that was a touchdown. If they have a rule that's makes that controversial, then it's a stupid rule.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Ya gut a good team there Steve ::handshake:: Congratulations
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

One of my buddies is going to commit harrycarry :lol:
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

That was a heck of a a game, right down to the last play. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Wasn't over till it was over.WOW!

Thanks GD. This was meant to be. They haven't won since 1960.
steve99f
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Is it just me or did it seem to anybody else that NE didn't really try very hard on their final possession of the game? I don't watch a lot of football anymore; but, I've seen, heard & read enough to know that Tom Brady runs those two-minute drills with laser-like precision; essentially, that's his stock-in-trade. I mean, come on, he regularly scores end zone to end zone practically at will. He can run end-game scenarios in his sleep. So, why did it seem like NE was just "phoning it in" at the end of the 4th quarter, at the very time they should have been most amped up and doing what they do best? Seemed to me, anyway. I was all excited to watch another down-to-the-wire finish but instead watched them fumble the ball for a turnover inside the final two minutes and then fail to connect on something like 4 of their final 6 passes (don't remember the exact stat offhand). I don't think it was at all characteristic of how they normally play...particularly with a game...THE Game, on the line. Something about the way the game ended just seemed a bit strange to me, somewhat anti-climatic and disappointing.

~Q~

PS I wasn't "rooting" for either team (well, maybe the Eagles a little since they were considered the underdogs) and I have absolutely no feelings whatsoever about either team and could not care less which team won.
~Q~
TwoFlowersLuggage

I'm not a fan of either team. I think NE just plain got beat. Brady was getting pressured the entire game and couldn't get his offense moving. On the reverse side, the Eagles offense was pushing the Pats all over the field. The Eagles made all the plays that counted and the Pats didn't. Just my 2 cents...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::ds:: Eagles win, that's all that counts! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I'm not a fan of either team. I think NE just plain got beat. Brady was getting pressured the entire game and couldn't get his offense moving. On the reverse side, the Eagles offense was pushing the Pats all over the field. The Eagles made all the plays that counted and the Pats didn't. Just my 2 cents...

Yeah....not so......both quarterbacks/teams were tallying up huge offensive numbers.....don't you remember them saying how much total offense had occured and it was only the first quarter? Both teams totaled a new record of 1151 offensive yards....more than 200 of the previous record.

We thought Brady would bring 'em back, but the Eagles D stuffed 'em!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I'm not a fan of either team. I think NE just plain got beat. Brady was getting pressured the entire game and couldn't get his offense moving. On the reverse side, the Eagles offense was pushing the Pats all over the field. The Eagles made all the plays that counted and the Pats didn't. Just my 2 cents...
Well, the portion of the game I watched (second half), I didn't see Brady getting much pressure...he always seemed to have plenty of time in the pocket to choose from several passing options and never really had to scramble or throw on the run. I don't believe there was a single sack by the Eagles defense, either. So, it's not like NE didn't have opportunities, they just didn't take advantage of most of them. The Pats final touchdown, a difficult over-the-shoulder catch on a dead run to the corner of the end zone by Gronkowski is the type of play NE is famous for but they couldn't make relatively routine completions on their final drive when it really mattered with the game on the line. As for the Eagles offense, I'll admit that Nick Foles seemed to be pretty much dialed in...made a number of precision passes for completions and timely first downs. But, at the same time, the Pats pass defense didn't appear to be particularly aggressive in its coverage, IMO.

Opening up the conspiracy can-o-worms here, but it's well known that New England is no stranger to employing questionable strategies and controversial tactics ("Spygate" and "Deflategate" come to mind). I can't help but wonder if this was perhaps just another devious maneuver by NE to continue their reign of ultimate superiority, only this time by gaming the system to cash in on a staggeringly mega-big, high-stakes, loser-take-all payday gamble. Apparently there were numerous high dollar bets being placed on the Eagles and relatively few on the Patriots, despite the Pats being 5-point favorites; that should raise some major red warning flags of suspicion right there. And, with five super bowl championships already on the books and under their belt, it's not like NE needed to prove anything or was desperate for more "glory" from yet another victory. With the amount of money involved (billions), they could conceivably have made a bigger financial killing by throwing the game than by winning it. All they had to do was keep it close, not make it too obvious, and let the underdog Eagles take the win...which is exactly what they appeared to do. As hard as it is to win a super bowl, it's harder still to pull off a convincing intentional loss, especially for a team like New England which is so accustomed to dominating their opponents they sometimes appear to be bored of winning all the time--it's just no longer a meaningful challenge or accomplishment. When it comes to sports, let's face it, America loves a good Cinderella or David & Goliath story. Personally, I believe New England performed a cleverly calculated and brilliantly executed masterpiece of duping the nation and is now laughing all the way to the bank. Perhaps the greatest professional sports con of all time (and the truly sublime part is that they still made the Eagles work for it so they felt they had legitimately won the game...they didn't just hand it to them...well-played, New England, sheer Belichickian brilliance.) ::sotb::

~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Since I don't give two hoots and a holler about football anymore (did 40 years ago - Go Bears) I can't believe I'm posting in this thread. I guess the reason is I got a text from 313 Mike yesterday telling me they had 16 recipients of the Medal of Honor at mid-field and a USMC Iwo Jima vet tossing the coin. Pretty impressive.

On the other hand, I have to ask, what were they doing? Throwing a bone to try and counter balance some of the negativity over this "take a knee" crap. You're right ~Q~. America does love a good conspiracy theory.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::woot:: Surprised me too Jerry, maybe patriots to help the Patroits. God bless those men for their service. ftd
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yeah Ferg. Whatever was behind it, it was a good thing.

See Mike (313 Mike). I'm not a total curmudgeon. :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

:mrgreen: Not totallyJerry! ftd
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Yeah, I saw the coin toss ceremony, and that was cool with all the MoH recipients there. I think it was an olive branch to the military for all the crap treatment they got during the season.

As to the game, both teams sucked on defense, and both teams did enough offensively to win. It was entertaining, but not necessarily in a good way.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

glennbad wrote:I think it was an olive branch to the military for all the crap treatment they got during the season.
Glenn, if you're referring to the whole kneeling during the national anthem issue, I think it's important to remember that that was NEVER about the military...it was about the police...although considering the militarization of US police forces, I can see why there might be some confusion...and also because certain political leaders' comments misconstrued the protest against police treatment of minorities as an attack against all things American, including the military.

I must admit, I did not watch any football games other than the second half of the super bowl last night, but I am fairly aware of current events and I don't recall hearing or reading anything specifically about the US military being mistreated by the NFL. Was the US military treated crappily by the NFL during the season in some way that I'm not aware of? Interesting because I've always felt that football in general is symbolic of warfare with the players representing soldiers in combat...and you know the saying, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

~Q~
~Q~
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I'm pleased the Eagles finally won a SB, last win was 1960 a non Superbowl victory. It was time. ::tu::

Pitchers and catchers report this month. Life is good. :D
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Even though this is semi-politics in a non-politics thread, let me see if I can clarify what I was trying to say.

I (me personally) am unable to separate the United States flag from my country which I (me personally) took a solemn oath to protect and defend forever and ever amen. That said, I (me personally) view the "take a knee movement" as a slap in the face and an insult to my flag, my country and my military service (re-read the first sentence). In the meantime, your method of protesting is drowning out the text of your protest.

Did the NFL specifically treat the military in a crappy manner? In my personal opinion, tangentially yes by not nipping that take a knee crap in the bud and taking a stand on the issue. If you want to play football for me, you will find a different vehicle for expressing your displeasure with what ever it is that's stuck in your craw. (Maybe I should be happy you're not protesting by burning down the house which is also inappropriate.) You will not disrespect my flag, my country and all the people who gave their lives so you would have the freedom to be an a..h... If you have a problem with that. If you don't like it here. Don't let the door hit you in the a.. on your way out.

My opinion. I don't feel a need to defend it so if your opinion differs, please feel free to fire away. I will not be back to return fire. ::handshake::

Edit: If the Mods feel a need to move this or delete it, have at it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

I know this is unpopular here, but I see symbols as just that - symbols. It is a (poor) way to protest, but it isn't an *attack* on the USA. I believe in the right to protest and free expression. If the team owner wants to require the team to stand during the anthem, and the player chooses not to do so, then that is a disciplinary issue between the player and the team owner. The symbolism of the act is interesting, but that's all it is. If I, as a consumer, am unhappy with how the team owner is handling the situation, then I can choose not to watch or spend my money on things that benefit the team owner. I can vote with my wallet and I can encourage others to do the same. I support the player's right to protest, the owner's right to require decorum from the players and all of our right to take sides and bitch about it.

With all that said, I think it would have been a FAR more effective move for the players to get together, have a press conference and express their views like rational adults. They could then continue speaking out, repeating their message over and over while also doing their jobs and being role models to their communities. They could have spent some of the millions they earn to create a television commercial talking about the issues. They could have partnered with the owners to support community groups & activists that share their concerns. Instead they chose to play the same game the White House is playing - cheap shots to get media attention.
LanG

Post by LanG »

First time in awhile that I didn't watch the game. Went to see "Hostiles" instead. It was disappointing.
Lan

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”