Are There Any FOOTBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
MITCH RAPP

Are There Any FOOTBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) With Pro Football starting soon, here's my Companion thread to go along with Jerry D's Baseball thread. Like Jerry I am also a knuckle head, glutton for punishment, he the Cubs, me the Oakland Raiders. Been a Tough 12 years but with a new season starting up, Hope Springs Eternal! Who are you Guys Rooting for this September?
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are There Any FOOTBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by gsmith7158 »

The Atlanta Falcons of course. Isn't everbody?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Hey Mitch . . .
hope yer NOT talkin bout the football
whereby a Arkansas oil well thief
name Jones can FIRE a Christian
War Hero named Landry
over the AM radio at rush hour
in Dallas . .. NO i'm not a fan of that

HET !!!!!!!!!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

................Go MISS. STATE and da BEARS!!!!................ ::ds:: ::ds:: ......................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mitch, back in the dark ages, when I was a fan of football, my team(s) were the Oakland Raiders and because it was tough to get a game here on TV, my second choice was Da Bears. Actually, I suppose you could say I was more of a George Blanda fan. Sometime during the 1980s football faded into the sunset for me only to be replaced by basketball in the 1990s. The Bulls and Michael Jordon lasted until the year after he retired the final time. Having been a part time Cubs fan since 1976, I became more active after Jordan hit the bricks. In my childhood, I was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan until they broke my heart after the 1957 season, by moving to Los Angeles.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

carrmillus wrote:................Go MISS. STATE and da BEARS!!!!................ ::ds:: ::ds:: ......................
Tommy, it looks you and me are gonna have to start us a College Football Fan thread because you and Ken are the only guys I ever hear mention college teams. I am a die hard Auburn fan and since the season is about to start I am really getting reved up. We'll have to be careful though. I have noticed some guys from Alabama in the forum. Probably some of those closet Bamer rolltiders in between me and you.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::facepalm:: Try being a Bengals fan, several post season chances and one and done. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

gsmith7158 wrote:
carrmillus wrote:................Go MISS. STATE and da BEARS!!!!................ ::ds:: ::ds:: ......................
Tommy, it looks you and me are gonna have to start us a College Football Fan thread because you and Ken are the only guys I ever hear mention college teams. I am a die hard Auburn fan and since the season is about to start I am really getting reved up. We'll have to be careful though. I have noticed some guys from Alabama in the forum. Probably some of those closet Bamer rolltiders in between me and you.
...greg, that's a good idea!!..I've always enjoyed college sports more than pro sports!!.here's one for you...my daughter was at state when Raphael Palmerio and will clark played baseball, and I remember a game with auburn where frank howard hit a home run for auburn that is probably still in orbit somewhere!!!..remember him???................ ::tu:: ...................
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I am right with Mr. B in reference to that uncouth hillbilly named Jones but,,, I just can't seem to help myself. I love those Cowboys ever since day one when a tall, tough kid from TCU by the name of Bob Lilly pulled on a jock strap.
Also love the Longhorns and am truly hoping they get it together this season.
Ain't this just the best time of the year. Fixin to be cool weather and football on top of that. WOW! Bring it on. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

college sports more than pro sports!!.here's one for you...my daughter was at state when Raphael Palmerio and will clark played baseball, and I remember a game with auburn where frank howard hit a home run for auburn that is probably still in orbit somewhere!!!..remember him???................  ...................Top

Tommy, Frank Howard was a beast. We've had some pretty good ballers come through there. Tim Hudson, Bo Jackson, Charles Barkley. Cam Newton was there when my daughter was at Auburn. That College atmosphere is just way more exciting to watch than the pros I think.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

gsmith7158 wrote:college sports more than pro sports!!.here's one for you...my daughter was at state when Raphael Palmerio and will clark played baseball, and I remember a game with auburn where frank howard hit a home run for auburn that is probably still in orbit somewhere!!!..remember him???................  ...................Top

Tommy, Frank Howard was a beast. We've had some pretty good ballers come through there. Tim Hudson, Bo Jackson, Charles Barkley. Cam Newton was there when my daughter was at Auburn. That College atmosphere is just way more exciting to watch than the pros I think.
...he's still a pretty good sized guy!!!............he's an announcer on one of the tv networks now...........my 1955 high school class still has monthly meetings at a local mall, we have 12-20 people show up every month even after 61 years!!...one of my best high school friends is an auburn grad, and we go round and round every year during the season!!!!................ ::tu:: ...........................
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That's a great story Tommy. Nothing like SEC football amongst friends.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm pretty much in line with Mr. B when it comes to the Cowboys. Used to be a huge fan going all the way back to the days of Bullet Bob Hayes, Bob Lilly, Lee Roy Jordan and company. Dandy Don Merideth is still the best QB I've ever seen in person and IMHO the most under-rated ever at the position. Then the present owner showed up and demonstrated his total lack of class in the way he fired Coach Landry. Now I don't much care what the current cast of social misfits wearing the star do.

I'm still a big fan of college and high school football though. I follow the local high school cause I know most of the kids and their families. It's even more fun that they're very well coached and win most of their games every year. For entertaining football you can't beat it.

When it comes to the college game I'll watch most any game but my team is the Red Raiders of Texas Tech. So if you want to talk offensive stats I can brag with anybody. Unfortunately they can't stop anybody else's offense either. If we win it's typically cause we had the ball last and out-scored the other team. But it's usually thrilling!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ken, I love to watch Texas Tech play. I'm a big Mike Leach fan and Kingsbury is carrying on in that style of play. It's always an exciting game especially if they're playing another air raid offense.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

DA BEARS........and THE FIGHTIN' IRISH!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
espn77

Post by espn77 »

MrBlister wrote:Hey Mitch . . .
hope yer NOT talkin bout the football
whereby a Arkansas oil well thief
name Jones can FIRE a Christian
War Hero named Landry
over the AM radio at rush hour
in Dallas . .. NO i'm not a fan of that

HET !!!!!!!!!

I'm with you Dave. Love football. Strong dislike for the jones man. The day he sells I'll be back to being a cowboys fan. Not till then!!!!!!!!!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

carrmillus wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
...greg, that's a good idea!!..I've always enjoyed college sports more than pro sports!!.here's one for you...my daughter was at state when Raphael Palmerio and will clark played baseball, and I remember a game with auburn where frank howard hit a home run for auburn that is probably still in orbit somewhere!!!..remember him???................ ::tu:: ...................
Tommy I got to thinking (always a delayed reaction in my case) and I think you mean Frank Thomas "The Big Hurt". Frank Howard was around when we was younguns. Plus he played for Ohio State.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

I'm a Bama fan, the wife is from Tennessee, so she is a VOLS fan. The third Saturday in October is usually fun around the old homestead. I will watch a pro game but I much prefer the college game. So, best of luck to everyone and their teams this season, even the Aubies. Roll Tide and out.
Rick
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

gsmith7158 wrote:
carrmillus wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
Tommy I got to thinking (always a delayed reaction in my case) and I think you mean Frank Thomas "The Big Hurt". Frank Howard was around when we was younguns. Plus he played for Ohio State.
In case it wasn't a "Frank", Bo Jackson would be another strong candidate.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

In a print discussion of possibilities for the greatest all time athletes, I have seen a strong case made for Bo Jackson. He would certainly rank right up there.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

RalphAlsip wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
carrmillus wrote:
In case it wasn't a "Frank", Bo Jackson would be another strong candidate.
Jerry, Bo Jackson gave the commencment speech at my daughters graduation. An amazing guy who overcame dyslexia after his pro careers. He stayed four hours after the graduation meeting parents and congratulating the graduates.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Go Vols, through and through
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::ds:: "GO BUCKS!" ::tu::
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Don't get too down, Mitch. I hear the Raiders are looking pretty good this year. They got some decent talent at RB and WR.

Don't hate on me too bad everyone, I'm a Pats fan. Even when they sucked... ::tounge::

I've been doing fantasy football the past couple years, it's fun, and makes you pay attention to other teams, not just your favorite.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

A fan of the NFL first. I'll watch any game that is on.
NE Patriot fan second. Born in Van Buren, Maine, 1980 grad of Dover, NH.
Eagles fan third. Hey, I'm 25 minutes from the stadium.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”