THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
cudgee

Re: THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:03 am These recipes are just guidelines...add more or less of each ingredient to your taste..I make these (and most of my recipes) by taste each time...dry rub the night before if possible... thanks for asking, Cudgee 😁.. please excuse my hand writing, I have a touch of carpel tunnel in both hands😁
Just thought i should let you know. ::handshake:: Made up some of your rub, but i did leave out the coffee, thought it may have been a bit over powering, these are some chicken thigh fillet chops, bone in, that i have rubbed down and i'm going to cook then in a Cast Iron pan. I have used your rub on other things and it is really good.
IMAG0438.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

cudgee wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:58 pm
Stanwade wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:03 am These recipes are just guidelines...add more or less of each ingredient to your taste..I make these (and most of my recipes) by taste each time...dry rub the night before if possible... thanks for asking, Cudgee 😁.. please excuse my hand writing, I have a touch of carpel tunnel in both hands😁
Just thought i should let you know. ::handshake:: Made up some of your rub, but i did leave out the coffee, thought it may have been a bit over powering, these are some chicken thigh fillet chops, bone in, that i have rubbed down and i'm going to cook then in a Cast Iron pan. I have used your rub on other things and it is really good.
IMAG0438.jpg

Thanks, buddy,.. I would definitely try the instant coffee in it for beef or venison... That's really only what I use the rub and sauce on....
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 am
IMAG0438.jpg

Thanks, buddy,.. I would definitely try the instant coffee in it for beef or venison... That's really only what I use the rub and sauce on....
Thanks mate, i will, but and i mean BUT, try this. Make up some of your rub to keep in a separate jar, leave out the coffee, replace the garlic with ginger. Mate, is it any good sprinkled in scrambled eggs, MMMMM, fantastic. ::sotb:: ::sotb:: ::sotb::
IMAG0436.jpg
IMAG0437.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

👍🤝
Ryan

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

IMAG0438.jpg
Last nights dinner, some of " Stanwade's Rub " at work, with some home made potato salad. ::sotb:: ::sotb:: ::sotb::
IMAG0439.jpg
IMAG0440.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Looks delicious, buddy!😁👍 I usually cook something fresh at work, too👍... Somebody stole my little cast iron skillet last year so I just use a cheap Dollar store skillet now ...
Ryan

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:43 am Looks delicious, buddy!😁👍 I usually cook something fresh at work, too👍... Somebody stole my little cast iron skillet last year so I just use a cheap Dollar store skillet now ...
I will keep it clean, but the words i would like to say for a ----- who stole your skillet are not for a family forum. For all they knew it could have been a handed down family heirloom. These people are nothing more than low life scum. :x :x :x
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

cudgee wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:09 pm
Stanwade wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:43 am Looks delicious, buddy!😁👍 I usually cook something fresh at work, too👍... Somebody stole my little cast iron skillet last year so I just use a cheap Dollar store skillet now ...
I will keep it clean, but the words i would like to say for a ----- who stole your skillet are not for a family forum. For all they knew it could have been a handed down family heirloom. These people are nothing more than low life scum. :x :x :x

Right! Someone noticed it was a Griswold and snagged it...🤬
Ryan

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Stanwade wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:13 pm

:evil: ::dead_horse:: ::cuss::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

WillyCamaro wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:57 am

Exactly. :x :x :x ::tu:: ::handshake::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cudgee wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:05 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:57 am

Exactly. :x :x :x ::tu:: ::handshake::
Sin filled scum, that tis what it is.
:x ::td::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

This is how I generally make Potato Soup.

I melt some fat for the aromatics. This fat was from a chuck roast. This fat and drippings (ajou?) are worth having in the fridge. I also use butter for this.
Aromatics are red and yellow peppers and celery stocks/leaves and shallots and onion. Also garlic, but added later.
I get the aromatics up to heat and add a little chicken stock so that everything gets cooking and getting flavorful.
While that's cooking I cut the bottom and 1 side of a potato so I can keep it steady for dicing. I cut the flats at a steep diagonal so they will break down quickly while cooking contributing to a creamier texture. No need to use a flour base sauce for potato soup.
When the vegetables are cooked down I add the garlic and potatoes and some more chicken stock as needed. This cooks and reduces the stock to where the potatoes are near done.
At this point I add cream and/or milk and cook just a bit more. Salt and pepper to taste.
Crushed bacon ::super_happy:: (optional)
Attachments
DSCN8718.JPG
DSCN8725.JPG
DSCN8728.JPG
DSCN8745.JPG
DSCN8756.JPG
DSCN8761.JPG
DSCN8754.JPG
DSCN8758.JPG
DSCN8767.JPG
DSCN8769.JPG
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Too hot for soup here, but does that look any good, the only thing missing is------------- wait for it--------- i can't taste it. ::tu:: ::sotb:: ::sotb:: ::sotb:: ::nod::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

This is how I make my simple Applesauce.

I like to use Cortland apples in this sauce. I have tried other cooking apples and they all seemed to work. I would then forget what I used.
I'm just sticking with Cortland.
Peeling apples: I like to go around twice at the top and bottom of the apple and then I can take one swipe with my peeler at the equator.
Done.
I don't get fancy ridding myself of the core. Don't have the time. I just slice the meat off the core and if need be cut out the seed area.
I add a little water to the pot to get the cooking started at med. high to get things cooking. Stir occasionally. It starts to cook down fairly quickly and develops its own sauce. When the pulp is soft I crush it against the sides of the pot or just let it cook some more.
I am not concerned about a bit of texture in the sauce. Its homemade applesauce.
I add that world famous flavor enhancer called salt. Not much. Were just enhancing.
I don't like very much cinnamon although I do add very little to where you can barely taste it. I think the cinnamon suggests sweetness.
It needs a little white sugar. I make this stuff for Susan so I add a bit more for her.
Attachments
DSCN8779.JPG
DSCN8781.JPG
DSCN8784.JPG
DSCN8786.JPG
DSCN8788.JPG
DSCN8790.JPG
DSCN8792.JPG
DSCN8795.JPG
DSCN8797.JPG
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

FRJ wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:53 am This is how I make my simple Applesauce.

I like to use Cortland apples in this sauce. I have tried other cooking apples and they all seemed to work. I would then forget what I used.
I'm just sticking with Cortland.
Peeling apples: I like to go around twice at the top and bottom of the apple and then I can take one swipe with my peeler at the equator.
Done.
I don't get fancy ridding myself of the core. Don't have the time. I just slice the meat off the core and if need be cut out the seed area.
I add a little water to the pot to get the cooking started at med. high to get things cooking. Stir occasionally. It starts to cook down fairly quickly and develops its own sauce. When the pulp is soft I crush it against the sides of the pot or just let it cook some more.
I am not concerned about a bit of texture in the sauce. Its homemade applesauce.
I add that world famous flavor enhancer called salt. Not much. Were just enhancing.
I don't like very much cinnamon although I do add very little to where you can barely taste it. I think the cinnamon suggests sweetness.
It needs a little white sugar. I make this stuff for Susan so I add a bit more for her.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::sotb:: ::sotb:: ::sotb:: :)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Granny Wigfield's (Bradford) Banane 🍌 Chocolate 🍌 Chip 🍌 Cookies 🍌

Recipe is the same on both pictures. Hope they are clear enough to read! ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20210207_155257_364.jpg
IMG_20210216_171121_579.jpg
IMG_20210207_155240_585.jpg
IMG_20210216_171234_295.jpg
IMG_20210207_155228_621.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

::dang:: I know it's a strech but it suddenly dawned on me why I might like the brands Case & Zippo so much. If you enlarge the recipe I posted you can see my grandmother's last name was Wigfield. You can also see her maiden name underneath of that. It's was Bradford. I never even thought about it, the name connection, untill now. I never even paid much attention to her maiden name before. Maybe it happened on a subconscious level that I never even noticed. ::hmm:: ::shrug::

Cool! ::super_happy:: A bit of a surprise, but cool! :mrgreen:

Edit: And her husband Frank, carried a Purina EDC as my mom told me. Which got me interested in knives in the first place. Interesting. ::hmm:: :mrgreen:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Pancakes for Shrove Tuesday. Cooked in Cast Iron of course. :lol: ::tu:: ::handshake::
IMAG0448.jpg
IMAG0449.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

TPK wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:39 pm ::dang:: I know it's a strech but it suddenly dawned on me why I might like the brands Case & Zippo so much. If you enlarge the recipe I posted you can see my grandmother's last name was Wigfield. You can also see her maiden name underneath of that. It's was Bradford. I never even thought about it, the name connection, untill now. I never even paid much attention to her maiden name before. Maybe it happened on a subconscious level that I never even noticed. ::hmm:: ::shrug::

Cool! ::super_happy:: A bit of a surprise, but cool! :mrgreen:

Edit: And her husband Frank, carried a Purina EDC as my mom told me. Which got me interested in knives in the first place. Interesting. ::hmm:: :mrgreen:

Cool, buddy!👍😁
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

cudgee wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:48 pm Pancakes for Shrove Tuesady. Cooked i Cast Iron of course. :lol: ::tu:: ::handshake::

IMAG0448.jpg
IMAG0449.jpg
Looks good, Cudgee!!👍👍 I'm making breakfast for dinner as we speak! Sloppy joe omelettess with Vermont cheddar.. cooked in cast iron, of course 😁
Ryan

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:41 pm
cudgee wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:48 pm Pancakes for Shrove Tuesady. Cooked i Cast Iron of course. :lol: ::tu:: ::handshake::

IMAG0448.jpg
IMAG0449.jpg
Looks good, Cudgee!!👍👍 I'm making breakfast for dinner as we speak! Sloppy joe omelettess with Vermont cheddar.. cooked in cast iron, of course 😁
Sound good. ::sotb:: ::sotb:: ::sotb:: ::tu::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

FRJ wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:20 am This is how I generally make Potato Soup.

I melt some fat for the aromatics. This fat was from a chuck roast. This fat and drippings (ajou?) are worth having in the fridge. I also use butter for this.
Aromatics are red and yellow peppers and celery stocks/leaves and shallots and onion. Also garlic, but added later.
I get the aromatics up to heat and add a little chicken stock so that everything gets cooking and getting flavorful.
While that's cooking I cut the bottom and 1 side of a potato so I can keep it steady for dicing. I cut the flats at a steep diagonal so they will break down quickly while cooking contributing to a creamier texture. No need to use a flour base sauce for potato soup.
When the vegetables are cooked down I add the garlic and potatoes and some more chicken stock as needed. This cooks and reduces the stock to where the potatoes are near done.
At this point I add cream and/or milk and cook just a bit more. Salt and pepper to taste.
Crushed bacon ::super_happy:: (optional)
Dang Joe that looks delicious! Thanks for the pictures. We got 8 inches of snow and me and the wife made cornbread and a big crock pot of ham and beans! Jalapenos and sweet onion on the side. Sorry no pics, we finished it up today. 3 days worth! :)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you woodwalker, I'm glad you liked the post and pictures.
I forgot to take pictures of the diced potatoes.
There's nothing like preparing your own home cooked meal. ::nod::
Cooking is a wonderful thing to do.
Joe
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

FRJ wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:20 am This fat was from a chuck roast. This fat and drippings (ajou?) are worth having in the fridge.
And I keep the fat from roast pork or beef. This fat contains all the flavors of roast and spices and is great for cooking! ::tu::
I will try this soup, but I plan to make the cream soup with the blender in the end.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

TPK wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:48 pm Granny Wigfield's (Bradford) Banane 🍌 Chocolate 🍌 Chip 🍌 Cookies 🍌
The recipe will be tested this weekend.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”